ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Other > Group Buys

Old November 10th, 2008   #1
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Thumbs up Group buy on G2's Ergo Throttle Tamer & Cam system

Attention

UPDATE: I just talked with the owner, Sam, at G2 again (on Friday, Dec 20th) about pre-ordering on the 2nd group buy and it IS A GO!

In the meantime, check out this article from Web Bike World about the same product on an FJR: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/throttle-cam/

I really want to thank Rolando (a member of our forum) who first brought this farkle to my attention. He later wrote about it in the Technical Farkles area here: http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=296 . It's definitely a keeper in my mind and probably will become one of the top 10 favorite farkles for the ST1300. Heck, even Mellow over on ST-Owners.com is jumping on this bandwagon. We'll get Maura to try it yet.

THANKS ROLANDO!

_________Original post below_____________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

I am still awaiting the details on this group buy but, I did hear from Sam and Gary at G2. They are modifying their web site for this group buy and it will be valid for 7 days at a discount of 20%.

Gary will be emailing me the particulars on how to order to get the 20% discount tomorrow morning so, stay tuned to this station!

Here is their web site description of the ST1300 Throttle Tamer:

http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/G2-Ta...T1300-262.html

Details to follow tomorrow...

BTW, if anyone is worried that the aluminum grip tube might affect their heat from their heated grips, don't worry. Check this out:

http://g2ergo.com/answers.html
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; December 20th, 2008 at 12:51 PM.
zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008   #2
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Group buy on G2's Ergo Throttle Tamer & Cam system

Here are the details for this group buy.
  1. Go to their web page at http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/G2-Ta...T1300-262.html and press the "Add to Cart" button (there is only one type of Ergo Throttle tube and that is the one with the Delrin bushing insert for $79.95).
  2. During the checkout process there is a field called "Coupon Code" where you can enter the code for the 20% discount.
  3. Enter the code, "st1300groupbuy1" in the spot to get the 20% discount.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is ONLY valid through November 18!

I will post my review and some installation pictures in the next post in this thread.

Regards,
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; December 20th, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old November 10th, 2008   #3
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Thumbs up Re: Group buy on G2's Ergo Throttle Tamer & Cam system

Here is a web page with my install instructions. Forgive the formatting as I did it in a Word document and then converted it (which lost all my nice formatting). It was a rush job.

www.ST1300.us.com/orig/G2_Throttle_Tamer_Install.htm

I really liked the result from the Throttle Tamer. You really notice the difference in 1st and 2nd gear and especially when you're turning a slow corner in town in 2nd gear. Now, even if I let off on the throttle a little bit and then come back on I don't feel the harsh abruptness that I did before.

I don't usually ride like that but, I did this on purpose to see if the product helped and it does.

Mostly, you won't notice it but, that's exactly what you want from this product.

I think you'll all really like this farkle. Clapping

Please feel free to post your impressions here after you try it out.

Best regards,
Attached Images
File Type: pdf G2 Throttle Tamer Install.pdf (2.59 MB, 32 views)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; November 19th, 2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: adding pdf file
Old November 10th, 2008   #4
Juneau Biker

Joe,

Couldn't tell for sure, but do you have throttlemeister throttle locks as your bar end weights? That's what I've got and would want to make sure they would work before ordering the Throttle Tamer. I feel that jerky throttle sensation too but I'm sure it's because of my technique.

Thanks,

RickOops
Juneau Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008   #5
esacfrank
Donators

joe:
how would i install with factory heated grips? will the grips come off without being destroyed? i also have a throttlemesiter installed, any concerns?
tia
esacfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008   #6
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Factory heated grips - if you had someone else do it, they may have used some sort of grip adhesive and that will make it more difficult to remove them but, not necessarily impossible.

Would it be possible for you to contact whoever installed them to find out?

I have the Hondaline OEM heated grips and mine came right off. But, we were prepared to use compressed air and elbow grease to remove them.

I have the ThrottleMeister also and had no problems re-installing them. The G2 Throttle Tamer appeared to be the exact same size as the stock throttle tube. I did have to adjust the end rubber spacer ring that the ThrottleMeister presses against while engaged but, that was because the previous owner appeared to have cut it or modified it somewhat.

We should get some of the more technical members to answer this question too as more heads are better than one.

How about it - Rob, Jeff, Paul (to name a few I know), any suggestions for Frank?

For that matter, you might also want to call G2 and ask them. They'll probably need to know whether there is any adhesive too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esacfrank View Post
joe:
how would i install with factory heated grips? will the grips come off without being destroyed? i also have a throttlemesiter installed, any concerns?
tia
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; November 11th, 2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old November 11th, 2008   #7
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Hi Rick,

Yes, I have a ThrottleMeister and had no problems with it going back on and working. I had to re-adjust it a little bit but, that was no problem.

Let me know if you need some pictures of how we did this "re-adjustment" and I'll take some. Basically, there is a little rubber washer type thingie at the end of the grip that gets inserted inside the end of the grip. That is what the ThrottleMeister presses against when engaged.

You just need to figure out how far in it needs to be inserted (or rather, how far out it needs to stick from the throttle grip itself).

As for technique, 1st gear is your enemy and should only be used to get started then shift into 2nd as soon as possible. I never ever use 1st to compression brake as it is too low.

You probably use 2nd gear for around town in turns and stuff like that. The key thing to remember there is to use your friction zone (i.e., ride the clutch more - easing out the clutch to make the transition to 3rd smoother). Down-shifting is the same... ease the clutch out all the way. The abruptness usually occurs when you pop the clutch that last little bit. Practice that and you'll tame the abruptness.

The other time that you notice the abruptness is if you let off on the throttle in 2nd or 1st and then roll on again. THAT is where the Throttle Tamer will really help.

There will still be times when you forget to use these techniques and that is also when this Throttle Tamer will help. It makes the easing and rolling on parts very smooth.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneau Biker View Post
Joe,

Couldn't tell for sure, but do you have throttlemeister throttle locks as your bar end weights? That's what I've got and would want to make sure they would work before ordering the Throttle Tamer. I feel that jerky throttle sensation too but I'm sure it's because of my technique.

Thanks,

RickOops
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old November 11th, 2008   #8
esacfrank
Donators

joe:
thanks for the reply. as far as the grips go, i bought the bike a year ago and they were installed when i bought it along with the throttlemeister.
it will be interesting to see how the throttlemeister should work when i remove it. i have never been really happy with the way it works for me so taking it apart will let me adjust.
so i'm going to order the tamer and put it on the winter's farkle list. thanks for setting up the group buy.
esacfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008   #9
st13fundred

Nice job on the installation instructions Joe!

Like other folks here, my bike came with the Hondaline heated grips installed, so I don't know how much, or how little, "grip glue" was used (if any). The concern of course is how to remove and reinstall the grip without damaging it. BTW, I'm guessing the combination of the knurled G2 tube and hairspray will do a good job of keeping the grip in place.

I noticed you have the adjustable GL18 Kuryakyn brake (and clutch) levers. I have them too. I installed them at the same time as the Honda GL18 right-side switch controls (for the Cruise Control buttons). They are a great farkle to have because the adjustability assists with clutch feathering (especially helpful when taking off from an up hill light or intersection - which is the another reason for buying the G2 throttle tube).

Finally, since the G2 tube is aluminum, I assume it may help with uneven left and right side grip heater temperature. In other words, both heaters will be attached to metal, rather than metal on the left, and plastic on the right.

Thanks again Joe for arranging this group buy!
Matt
st13fundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008   #10
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Thanks. I was a little rushed so, the formatting isn't as good as I'd like. I want to get an Adobe pdf editor later to do this type of stuff like Rob H. uses on his forum (www.TheSTForum.com). Now THEY look nice.

Yep, I love those Kuryakan adjustable levers. They are SO much nicer and easier on the hands than the stock levers.

As for whether your grips are put on with adhesive or not, I didn't know either. Just take the bar ends off and see whether you can pull the grips off a little bit and then push them back on.

That will tell you a lot. Mine just slid right off. I was a little surprised as the previous owner put loctite on every screw and bolt on the bike (must have owned a Harley prior to the ST) ;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; November 11th, 2008 at 10:28 AM.