ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old April 25th, 2014   #1
carter

Default ST1300 Won't Start

Went to start bike this morning. Didn't hear the usual sound of the electronics come on, headlights barely on. cranked it and nothing. Had to get to work so didn't have time to trouble shoot anything.

Possible problems? After ride last weekend I bike dropped to the right side at a standing stop in the garage. Lack of concentration and being tired. Righted the bike but did not try and start it again then. Is there anything to check with the banking angle sensor system? Are there fuses that may have blew when it fell over?

Key ignition has been acting as though it's loose also. Seems to be spinning as I insert the key. It's possible there is lack of contact in that area which is not feeding power to the fuel pump or other electronics that need to start the bike. Ignition when in the off position still has dash lights on. That is why I suspect that to be the troubled area.

Any troubleshooting I can check out would be helpful before a mechanic needs to look at it. If the case would you all suggest only to take it to a Honda dealer?
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014   #2
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ST1300 Won't Start

Turn it on - Tun it off - Turn it on again.
Resets the tip-over switch.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014   #3
carter

I will try this when I get out of work later, will disconnecting the battery get the same results? It seems that there is something going on with my key entry. It is loose and spins depending how far in my key is. Once seated it does spin.

Last edited by carter; April 25th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old April 25th, 2014   #4
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I don't believe disconnecting the battery will reset the tip-over switch.
The switch internals is a pendulum type design suspended in mineral oil along the line on the tilt switch in a pinball machine.
It is located on the backside of the headlight.
It activates the engine stop relay located in the relay nest behind the left side cover.
The designed is to shut the engine off in the event of a accident/tip-over.

You may need to go after the ignition switch problem first or at the very least as soon as you determine the tip-over switch has been reset if the ignition switch will allow you to get that far.
The ignition switch has a replaceable base, the actual electrical contact, Base Contact, 35101-MCS-G01. You will need two Bolt, One-Way 90107-MBG-000 if the switch needs to be removed. These bolts are designed to snap off at the head or round off depending on design to make it difficult to simply swap out a ignition switch for anti-theft reasons. Getting to and removing the ignition switch is not going to be easy or fun at all and will involve removing the fairing, the fork bridge, and a array of switch connectors. If you do not have a service manual you will need one for this operation.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...S04&itemtype=N
You can run through the list to get the current or latest manual.

Paul
Old April 26th, 2014   #5
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Is the Fi light coming on?
Old April 26th, 2014   #6
carter

No F1 light coming on at all. Do not hear the fuel pump whirring on either.
Old April 26th, 2014   #7
PaulRB
The Grouch

I would think as long as the tip-over switch has tripped the fuel pump will not power up. You do not need a bike laying on it's side pumping fuel and the tip-over switch thinks the bike is laying on it's side.

One other tidbit on the Bank Angle Sensor a few have figured out, those that have had it happen certainly.
If it is unplugged for removal of the headlight the engine will not start.
Once removed from the system the system thinks it has tipped over and until the sensor is present and fully functional it will not power up much more than the dash lights.

I think you should concentrate on fixing/replacing the ignition switch.
During that process you will almost certainly have the ignition on and off enough to reset the bank angel sensor.

Paul
Old April 26th, 2014   #8
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Rodents?

-Jeff-
STOC 025
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014   #9
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
No F1 light coming on at all. Do not hear the fuel pump whirring on either.
These were exactly the symptoms I had when I started this thread including the no fuel pump.

http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=3988

I was lucky that a good spray of WD40 solved my issue. I'm with Paul, I'd start at the ignition switch, especially as you have the clue the key action is unusual.
Old May 5th, 2014   #10
carter

It turned out to be a corroded bundle of connectors on the left side. Not sure if one was the culprit but green they were.