ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old October 15th, 2008   #1
BeerTown_ST1300

Default Dumbest animal on the planet

Here is my account with the dumbest animal on the planet.

May 8th 2006, I am on my way to work riding my old 2003 ST1300 on a beautiful spring day. I am heading east at about 7:40 AM on a four lane suburban street, with a boulevard separating the east and west lanes. I drive this way everyday on my way into work. Posted speed limit is 40 mph, so I am going about 45 mph. I am in the left eastbound lane coming up to pass a car that is in the right lane. As I normally do when riding along side of a car and passing through their blind spot, I have my vision primarily on the car, to make sure they can see me or I can react if they start moving into my lane. I look forward and catch a glimpse of movement from my left. Two deer are entering my lane directly in front of me. I barely had time to release the throttle and dont believe I braked at all as I nailed the lead deer broadsides.

The next thing I know my bike is going down, I let go of it and tumble down the street. I was wearing a leather jacket, full face helmet and thin leather gloves. Dressed for work I had on Dockers pants and just a pair of casual dress shoes. When I stopped tumbling I ended up with my left arm under me and hurting. I forced myself to rollover on my back and the next thing I see are two women leaning over me and saying they are nurses. What were the chances of that? They called the police and my wife. They made sure that I laid still on my back and left my helmet on.

I was taken to the emergency room and checked out. I ended up with my left clavicle broken, 1 rib broken and skinned knees and ankles. I know I would have been in much worse shape without my helmet and jacket on. The deer died and the bike was totaled. A couple months later I took the insurance settlement and purchased a new 2006 ST1300.

Those first rides on the new bike were very nerve racking. For the first year, every time I rode through the area where it happened, the hairs would rise on the back of my neck and I would find myself looking for a car to follow. Thinking they would hit a deer first, not me.

That accident has run through my mind a million times and I had serious doubts about riding again. I kept trying to think of things I could have done differently to have avoided it. If I learned anything, it was to not concentrate too much on one possible hazard over another. I never expected anything to come across that 20 foot wide grass median.

Some of the Harley guys at work blamed it on having a helmet on (I would have seen the deer sooner) and I should have had a louder bike to scare the deer away. That was unbelievable to hear.

In the pictures you can see deer hair still stuck to the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2317.jpg (162.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2318.jpg (151.8 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2321.jpg (72.6 KB, 194 views)

"At all times get recognition for what you do in life" - Author Unknown
BeerTown_ST1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008   #2
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Dumbest animal on the planet

First, glad you're ok.

Second, tell those Hardley riders that they're full of Bull!

I think the only thing you could (and should) have done different is always wear ALL your riding gear (i.e., get some Overpants if you don't already have some and some riding boots and wear them everytime you ride).

I recommend FirstGear's HT Overpants http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb2....1?opendocument

I also highly recommend SIDI On-Road riding boots as they're totally waterproof and very comfortable. I wear them all day long at work when I ride in (which is almost everyday). http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Tex-Boots.aspx

Their Canyon boots are good to for commuting. I also use both for long distance riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sidi_On_Road.jpg (11.3 KB, 167 views)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; October 16th, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008   #3
BeerTown_ST1300

Joe, you are absolutely correct. I always wear a helmet and leather jacket, but need to start wearing boots and better pants. Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out and plan to take the gear up a notch.

"At all times get recognition for what you do in life" - Author Unknown
BeerTown_ST1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008   #4
Poppi
Donators

Hey, that bike doesn't look totaled. Just needs a little cosmetic work!

Glad to hear you're OK.

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008   #5
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

Critter count an this weeks two day ride to the No. Ca. coast. Wingit one, large bushy tailed gray squirrel zero. I have heard that anything you could eat in one sitting wont crash you!

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010   #6
barryst1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWingit View Post
I have heard that anything you could eat in one sitting wont crash you!

Ed
Love it! And probably correct too!

Glad you made it through the deer strike Beertown and are back ridding again. I can appreciate it would make you reconsider riding again after something like that happening.

Touch wood we don't have that many wild deer here in Australia. We have Kangaroos and wombats through that can bring you undone if your unlucky enough to encounter one, and impact with it. Our wombats are like hitting a 18" wide by 2 foot long log laying on the road. Nasty!

Barry
barryst1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010   #7
West Aussie Glen
Donators

Rep Power: 0 West Aussie Glen has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Barry
The other thing to watch for in outback Aussie are eagles feeding on road kill. When FJ1200s were new a worker from the mine in Newman hit one on the road from Perth to Newman and spent months in hospital, mind you he was probably doing 100 mph when he hit it.
West Aussie Glen is offline   Reply With Quote