ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old October 2nd, 2012   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 69 Redfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura about
Default New '13 FJR

Yamaha has updated its FJR1300 for 2013. This is the second update for the FJR which was introduced here in 2003. This was the same year for the introduction of the ST1300 to the U.S. I am not in the market for a new bike but I am wondering if Honda will ever update our aging platform.

The new FJR has a very modern instrument cluster. The ST has been criticized for its "minivan" instruments since day one.

The new FJR has traction control, throttle by wire which allows it to have CRUISE CONTROL standard. It also comes with heated grips standard. ABS is standard. The chassis is pretty much the same except for upgraded suspension.

Honda? Oh Honda? Are you listening?
Old October 2nd, 2012   #2
MZEMS2

Default Re: New '13 FJR

It does sound/look pretty nice. Yeah, I went to the Yami site. If only I could afford to have one of each.....
MZEMS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012   #3
chaissos
Donators

No, Ma Honda hasn't been listening for a long time.

I kinda like the cluster on the ST13. I can see it in all light, whether it's direct sun, or darkest night or any variance in between. Granted, I'd love more features, but I can put my own on, if necessary, which apparently it is. I'm still working out the variable throttle stuff in my head for the cruise...so the throttle doesn't move on me all the time. I'll figure it out.
Old October 2nd, 2012   #4
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 69 Redfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura about

Truly the instrument cluster on our ST is not attractive. The instruments on the 2nd Gen FJRs are beautiful. The 3rd gen looks very very nice.

The thing is that the ST instruments are useful, visible, simple, and almost complete. The 2nd gen FJR is very difficult to read, the #'s are very small. Dad tells me he has no idea how fast he is going most of the time. I really have to take my eyes off the road for way too long to decipher the FJR speedometer. You have to do alot of scrolling on the FJR to get the info that is always on display with the ST.

I am convinced that there is no perfect motorcycle.
Old October 3rd, 2012   #5
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 105 ligito will become famous soon enoughligito will become famous soon enough

I wear polarized sunglasses, on most rides and I can read very little on the ST1300 dash.

I added a clock to the right side bars, so I can see the time.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012   #6
chaissos
Donators

Hmmm....I stopped wearing my sunglasses because I also wear a dark shield. I guess that means maybe it's not polarized, and I'm hurting my eyes with it...

Something to check into...crap.
Old October 3rd, 2012   #7
Redfish
Donators

The sunglasses I wear when I am not working are polarized. They are made by Costa Del Mar. Yes, they mess up my view of instrument panels, gas pumps, GPS screens and the window tint on vehicles. I need them for my fishing, particularly sightfishing for redfishes! I hardly ever wear them on the bike though because, Deep Breath, the Nolan N103 N-com modular super awesome helmet has a built in slide down sunshield. It is not polarized but it does block UV rays. Most high end helmets such as the Shoei will have a UV blocking shield if it's tinted.
Old October 3rd, 2012   #8
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 87 DickPeake will become famous soon enoughDickPeake will become famous soon enough

The first time I went up into the high French Alps I developed very 'scratchy' eyes in spite of my sunglasses. I realised that neither my sunglasses nor my visor were of a quality that blocked UVA and UVB and my eyes were actually getting a little sunburned. I don't use dark visors cos I don't want to carry a spare clear and keep swopping every time night comes. Every visor I've had since is UV blocking and I use much better quality sunglasses as well. The helmet visor does not need to be tinted to block UV rays. My current set of sunglasses are Oakley with polarized lenses. I get some rainbow effects with car windscreens and sometimes the ST screen but I can read the ST display and my Tom Tom satnav with no problems.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110
2003 Honda ST1300ABS
http://www.oakleymc.net
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 105 ligito will become famous soon enoughligito will become famous soon enough

My very first sun visor on a Shoei full face helmet was a strip of black electrical tape.
It worked quite well.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012   #10
Redfish
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
My very first sun visor on a Shoei full face helmet was a strip of black electrical tape.
It worked quite well.
Echo would be so proud...