ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tools

Tools Did you just find the coolest tool that made a maintenance task a breeze? Tell us about it here.

Old May 9th, 2012   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 67 Redfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura about
Default Maintenance manual?

I have never purchased a maintenance manual for my ST. The minor stuff I do myself, anything really involved it goes to the dealership. Yes, I know it is painfully obvious that I am lazy and that I am a bad person.

My question is, do I purchase the Honda manual or can I get by with the Haynes? I have read that the Honda manual must be ordered through a dealership, is this true?
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012   #2
BURNOUT

Default Re: Maintenance manual?

I'm just the opposite. I refuse to let anyone touch my bike. Majority of my local vendors are con-artist's. Plus being a diesel engine guy by trade, with a boat load of tools, gives me no excuse.....

I've always found over the years that it's best to have two manuals. Always get the factory manual first, then get a supplement manual such as a Clymer or Haynes. In that order. It's a shame that you have to use two manuals to figure something out, but that's how it works....

The Honda manual at your dealer will be around $70. But you can find one on-line for around $30-$50. Then look for a Clymer / Haynes.

Also keep in mind that an original owner's manual and a factory service manual help with the re-sale value of the bike when it comes time to do so....
STOC #949
Syracuse, NY

BURNOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012   #3
echo
The sky is falling...

Factory manual availible on Amazon or ebay. I got a used one for $50 a year ago. Any year will do the bikes are all the same for the most part.

I also have the Haynes. Its much better than I thought. For instance it demonstrates its unnecessary (if you know what youre doing) to use a vacuum tool when bleeding the brakes, something I personally know to be true.

I have both but wish I had just bought the Haynes because it would have been cheaper. But I expect I will find something useful in the factory edition.

Unless you have a mechanic you trust and had done right by you in the past youre swimming in a shark tank when you take you car/motorcycle to another person to work on it. Things are getting rough in this country and will only get worse. For instance Steve Jobs (and his successors at Apple) do not believe they owe Americans jobs building their products. Right now there is a surplus of money among us older Americans (I make $24 AN HOUR) but once the younger people making $8 an hour get to be my age there will be no one with any money for Apple computers, let alone ST1300s.

Yes Jobs is working with the Chinese government to send all our work over there. Once our money is dried up and we no longer have any money to buy their products the Chinese plan to use Americans as food.

But you probably think Im kidding or just nuts.

Yeah but work on your own bike if you know whats good for you. BMW makes it harder and harder every year so the owner becomes a slave to BMW if they want the bike to run.

Oh by the way Germany makes a very good economy doing manufactureing, something our leaders have thrown the American workers to the wolves for the sake of higher profits. However the Germans still screw us idiot Americans over by selling us BMW motorcycles that need the dealer to fix anything so they can charge us more and more $$$$.

Of course when our money is all gone they will get in line with the Chinese for some tasty Americans.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; May 10th, 2012 at 05:25 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012   #4
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 67 Redfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura aboutRedfish has a spectacular aura about

Good morning Echo! You are such a bundle of sunshine!

It comes down to which is more valuable, my money or my time. Then there is the laziness factor. I make my modest living as an Instrumentation/Electrical Technician in a plant and don't mind tearing into an expensive instrument that might slow production but I am reluctant to start tearing into my bike. My father on the other hand has no problem with me working on his bike. It is difficult to balance work, family, side jobs, family, other hobbies, family, motorcycle time, family, and stay (happily!) married. A really happy bonus is that the manager of the Honda/Yamaha dealer is from England and therefore understands the ST1300 and the FJR (Dad's). He has been wonderful to deal with and I actually look forward to going there.

Completely off topic, my wife drives a 2011 BMW 328i and it is the best vehicle we have ever owned, so far.
Old May 10th, 2012   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I've found that it also helps to find another local ST1300 owner who likes to work on their bikes. I have two friends local - one is a certified Motorcycle Mechanic and the other does custom electrical work on motorcycles.

They have all kinds of tips and tricks about working on bikes and it is fun to go to their houses to work on it together.

BTW Redfish, I used to live in Lake Charles, LA when I was a kid. Is that close to where you are?
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012   #6
Redfish
Donators

Lake Charles is on the SouthWestern corner of the state, very close to the Texas Border. I am South Central, between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. There is one guy close to me that I have met once and he rides a black '06 and also has a Police Model ST1100. We wave happily when we pass on the road but we both work in plants and are on different shifts. There is a forum member in New Orleans that I met in Robbinsville NC while Dragon Slaying. He goes by Slowpoke and also rides a black '06. Super nice guys both of them, maybe they are just avoiding me?
Old May 10th, 2012   #7
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
A really happy bonus is that the manager of the Honda/Yamaha dealer is from England and therefore understands the ST1300 and the FJR (Dad's). He has been wonderful to deal with and I actually look forward to going there.
Well then you are all set as good as you can be.

But get the Haines manual and read it because you will learn a lot and that is only to the good. It might save you some money if you can solve a problem yourself.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012   #8
Redfish
Donators

It is only money, why not spend it? Dropped by Friendly Yamaha/Honda today and ordered the thermostat and the Honda Manual. Initial list price for the manual was $186, I decided I did not want it. After the parts manager was summoned, the manual became $85.00. What to do? I went with it, as Echo says it might save me some money to be able to solve a problem for myself. If only I were interested in working on the stupid bike to begin with.
Old May 10th, 2012   #9
BURNOUT

The STealer dug ya for the manual, BUT at least you have one. You'll need in the future when you change out the most commonly failed items on the ST1300. The seat, windshield and bar risers!
STOC #949
Syracuse, NY

BURNOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012   #10
Bradb

Just recieved my manual from http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...ard/StoreFront

It is for my 04 ST1300 it was 31.00 delivered
Bradb is offline   Reply With Quote