ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Bikes

Bikes Do you have other bikes you like? Put your reviews of them here.

Old May 5th, 2010   #1
Fanman

Default F1 codes

Can any one tell me when the F1 light is on, but the bike still runs good, where the problem might be. The sensorl comes on at 3900rpm, but flashes no code.
Fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010   #2
Paul

Default Re: F1 codes

The F1 light will only blink with the side stand down, the engine off and the kill switch on run.

To read the memory for problems.
Turn the ign. switch to off.
Remove the seat.
Short the Brown--Green/Pink wires in the service connector.
Turn the ign. switch on and kill switch to run.
If there is memory the F1 light will begin to flash.
Count the number of flashes.

You will need a shop manual.

Paul
-
Old May 5th, 2010   #3
Blue Bayou

I think you may have that wrong Paul. If the FI light is on while riding, simply pull to a stop, place trans in Neutral, and put the sidestand down. The FI light will blink the current fault code. The part about reading the memory you have right.

I have been dealing with this myself. I wonder if I got a tank of bad gas. At the last fill up, I added a bottle of Injector Cleaner, and after the first 50 miles, still no FI light. Hopefully this has solved the issue so I don't have to tear off the plastic and test the Knock Sensor......
Blue Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010   #4
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bayou View Post
I think you may have that wrong Paul. If the FI light is on while riding, simply pull to a stop, place trans in Neutral, and put the sidestand down. The FI light will blink the current fault code. The part about reading the memory you have right.

I have been dealing with this myself. I wonder if I got a tank of bad gas. At the last fill up, I added a bottle of Injector Cleaner, and after the first 50 miles, still no FI light. Hopefully this has solved the issue so I don't have to tear off the plastic and test the Knock Sensor......
You are probably correct on that.
I've never been in the position that I caught the problem on the fly and could read it without shutting it down somewhere. I have always gone in through the memory.

Paul
Old May 6th, 2010   #5
Blue Bayou

I tore into my bike this afternoon, and found through testing that the issue is a short in the wire that goes to the Left Knock Sensor. Now, I'm having a dickens of a time finding where in the world it goes!!!! I find a red/blue wire in the back at the ECM Connector that matches the red/blue wire leading from the Knock Sensor, but can't find a red/blue wire in the main wiring harness under the seat. Help me find it Paul!!! Any idea where it goes? Also, am I going to have to remove the tank and airbox to replace/repair the wire? I'm leaving now to go buy a decent flashlight that actually works so I can see down into the bowels of the ST!!!
Old May 6th, 2010   #6
Fanman

Be careful when you remove the air box. When mine was done, the pcv tube was pinched when the box was replaceding leading to excessive oil pressure, and causing blow by through the valve gaskets.

I have also learned that when replacing the gaskets, also get the rubber settings, about $35 that go with it rather than trying to reuse the old ones. Reusing the original ones may still not resove the blow by problem.

I am have to do some extensive wiring on my 'o3 because of accessories that were cut into the wiring harness by those in the "Not know category", causing farther damage to the system.
Fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010   #7
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bayou View Post
I tore into my bike this afternoon, and found through testing that the issue is a short in the wire that goes to the Left Knock Sensor. Now, I'm having a dickens of a time finding where in the world it goes!!!! I find a red/blue wire in the back at the ECM Connector that matches the red/blue wire leading from the Knock Sensor, but can't find a red/blue wire in the main wiring harness under the seat. Help me find it Paul!!! Any idea where it goes? Also, am I going to have to remove the tank and airbox to replace/repair the wire? I'm leaving now to go buy a decent flashlight that actually works so I can see down into the bowels of the ST!!!

Check year and model info to be sure, I entered 2004 ABS. On the Crankcase page number 9 Sub-Wire, Engine. It is a 9 Pin Gray connector. The easiest way to find it will be trace back from the Knock Sensor, also on this page. I think this is the gray connector located on the left side back and lower than the head but don't hold me to that. It will be a single wire. My test harness has it as a slightly gray wire cover but yours may differ. I know nothing about year and model of the test harness.
The next time the Red/Blue pops up is at the ECM.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=446&B=19

Paul
Old May 7th, 2010   #8
Blue Bayou

Looks like the single wire goes into an assembly plug. It also looks like I'm going to have no choice but to remove the fuel tank.
Old May 7th, 2010   #9
Paul

The engine sub harness connector is on the right side by the EVAP can. The connector on the left is the throttle body sub harness. Sorry.

Paul
Old May 7th, 2010   #10
Blue Bayou

I've basically torn the entire wiring harness apart, and have yet to find the ground fault.... So, I bit the bullet and simply layed a new wire from the sub harness connector on the right side, by the EVAP can, to the rear ECM connector. No more ground fault!!! But, did have to remove the fuel tank and airbox.