ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Communications

Old October 21st, 2011   #11
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cardo Scala Rider G4

We used the G4 on an 8 day ride through Arkansas and I have some more thoughts on this fantastic piece of electronic trash. When it is working, it is fantastic. When it stops communicating with the other bike for no apparent reason it will infuriate you. It would stop communicating half the time with no warning, half the time with a loud beep. We never figured out why. I think we had two female units and that they got mad at one another and decided not to talk anymore on impulse and it was our fault we could not understand...One time for about 45 minutes Dad sounded like the adults on a Charlie Brown cartoon, but he said he could hear me just fine. Once I got used to the Zumo and learned to see what the next curve was like before I got there, I was able to communicate this to Dad. Perfect. Being able to point out something interesting while riding was invaluable. As I mentioned in my ride report, there is one other drawback I had not anticipated. When someone is about to crash a motorcycle, they say some terrible things. You will be able to hear everything, you might have to hear things you wish you had not...Overall, I give the G4 a thumbs up, but it isn't perfect.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011   #12
Okeephe

The comms will time out after a while of non-use. I found all I had to do was press the top center button to reestablish the link.

Is this what was happening to you?

STOC # 8235
Okeephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011   #13
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

No, that is not the problem. If they are being used as voice activated, after 30 seconds of silence, they will time out. I never use them as voice activated, I always press the "A" button which maintains a constant open link between the headsets. These would cut off in the middle of a conversation. Another strange problem we found was that even if the Zumo was not being used to navigate, it would disable communication at every intersection. In other words, even though the Zumo was not telling us to do anything, it would still kill communication from the Cardo. I will be on the phone with technical support for both companies to get some resolution on that one.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014   #14
Old Fool

I had the same experience with a trio of G9s in late 2012. Three of us talking and then silence followed by Hello Hello Hello some time later.

Haven't used it since but may take it out for a spin next month - stay tuned.
Old Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014   #15
Redfish
Donators

Wow! An old thread revived.

Time has mellowed my aggravation levels with the Cardo.

What I realized from extensive use, reading, studying, and paying attention was something that all of us know on some level. This is IMPORTANT!

Talking on the phone, whether it is hands free or not is a distraction. A big distraction. It is more of a distraction than I want while riding a 1300cc motorcycle. I disabled the phone Bluetooth connection. I can always look at the caller ID and call back when I am stopped.

I seldom use the GPS for driving directions, I usually have the directions printed in large font in the clear map pocket of my tank bag. GPS is not Bluetoothed to the Cardo either. I made Pop disconnect his when we ride together.

For whatever reason, the bike to bike is not as much of a distraction as the phone. I guess because the other person is "there". Much like a conversation with the passenger in your car or truck.

The Cardo has been through rain, heat, rain, cold, rain, high speeds, high altitudes, rain, multiple helmets, and did I mention rain? The things just continue to work. I cannot say how much Dear Old Dad and I benefit from these little devices. Makes every ride better for us.
Old August 22nd, 2014   #16
GRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Wow!
Talking on the phone, whether it is hands free or not is a distraction. A big distraction.... I disabled the phone Bluetooth connection. I can always look at the caller ID and call back when I am stopped.
Thank you! I always find it ironic the riders will be the first and most vocal to express "hang up and drive", yet so many want, even require that connectivity on their rides. The % of fatalities from rear end collisions have more than tripled in the last 6 years IIRC - it's bad enough that we're the most vulnerable without adding to it from the other side of the equation.

If I want to answer the phone, I go to the office.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014   #17
chaissos
Donators

I do admit, I like the option. I normally ride in (relative) silence. I like to hear the motor, I like to hear traffic around me, I love the fact that this bike is so quiet I can sneak out of the neighborhood and no one knows I've gone.

However, there comes a time, for me, when I get groggy. This is pretty normal, I think, and it really only lasts for about 30 to 45 minutes. It can happen at 9 AM, or 8 PM, or anywhere in between. During those times, I need the distraction of someone else talking at me, or a nap. If I stop, there won't be any nap, because I'm not really that tired. I don't know really, why this happens, but it does, and fairly often, although normally only once.

So for those times, I like my phone. It keeps me alert, it keeps me safe, and it keeps the shiny side up. Making it home is important to me. It's also important to my family and the few friends I have.

Respectfully, I'll keep my phone, thank you.
Old August 23rd, 2014   #18
GRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
I do admit, I like the option. I normally ride in (relative) silence. I like to hear the motor, I like to hear traffic around me, I love the fact that this bike is so quiet I can sneak out of the neighborhood and no one knows I've gone.

However, there comes a time, for me, when I get groggy. This is pretty normal, I think, and it really only lasts for about 30 to 45 minutes. It can happen at 9 AM, or 8 PM, or anywhere in between. During those times, I need the distraction of someone else talking at me, or a nap. If I stop, there won't be any nap, because I'm not really that tired. I don't know really, why this happens, but it does, and fairly often, although normally only once.

So for those times, I like my phone. It keeps me alert, it keeps me safe, and it keeps the shiny side up. Making it home is important to me. It's also important to my family and the few friends I have.

Respectfully, I'll keep my phone, thank you.
A bit of music that doesn't require the attention bandwidth of a conversation works for me, without it I get groggy quite often from the loud white noise caused by tinnitus (which gets seemingly louder with ear plugs in).
Old August 25th, 2014   #19
chaissos
Donators

Music doesn't work for me. It lulls me to sleep. I've tried everything from punk rock to classic to country to opera (I can listen to anything). None of it keeps me awake.

It's this, and I simply cannot afford it on a bike.
Old August 25th, 2014   #20
GRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Music doesn't work for me. It lulls me to sleep. I've tried everything from punk rock to classic to country to opera (I can listen to anything). None of it keeps me awake.

It's this, and I simply cannot afford it on a bike.
I suffer from similar, luckily music generally works for me. Good luck, ride safe