ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Communications

Old August 18th, 2011   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Cardo Scala Rider G4

I just installed a set of the G4 communication systems and my father and I are going on a ride this morning to check out how good or bad they really are. So far walking around in the yard the sound is extremely crisp and clear. I made some voice activated calls while riding 60mph with the windshield all the way down and everyone was impressed with the sound quality. I will post an update on the real world quality of the bike to bike communication.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cardo Scala Rider G4

Took a 3.5 hour ride with the intercomm system on the whole time. It is nicer than I would have thought to be able to talk to the other bike. Letting the bike behind you know you are dodging a dead opossum can be very useful. Sound quality was excellent, we never got far enough apart to test the distance capability. I also used the FM radio for a short time, it is OK but not great. The gps is on order, I will update when I have that installed and bluetoothed.
Old August 20th, 2011   #3
Birdman

I'm interested to hear what you think.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011   #4
Firebrother

Have owned the Scala for almost a year. Wife and I love them. Used them for three days while riding back from Colorado, after buying an 06 St1300. Making and receiving calls is easy. Listening to music then catching a call is effortless. The system is very simple to pair, and does not distract from riding, but could if you let it. Like all phone/music devices, care should be used when riding. We all know being distracted, even for a moment, while riding, can cause problems....
Firebrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011   #5
Redfish
Donators

Installed a Zumo 660 on Dad's FJR today, bluetoothed the phone to the zumo, bluetoothed the zumo to the Scala rider. Very short learning curve, it all works and works better than expected. Phone is very clear through headset and GPS, you control phone operations on the zumo touchscreen and with voice commands. I installed the zumo and a new Cee Bailey windshield on the FJR today, made Dad very happy. As a footnote the Scala Rider G4 adds about 1" overall, 1 and 1/16th" at the most to the width of the helmet. It will still fit into the right saddlebag of the ST as long as you put it facing forward. There is an indentation in the back of the saddlebag that fits it perfectly.

Last edited by Redfish; August 26th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old August 29th, 2011   #6
Redfish
Donators

Okay, we found the fly in the ointment, there had to be one after all. With the Scala G4, if you have a gps and a phone, you link the phone to the gps and the gps to the Scala. So far, so good. The gps voice directions come through the Scala and take priority over the bike to bike communication. All this is in the manual and should not be news. The problem is that when the gps gives you a direction and you want to let the other bike know you have a turn coming up, you can't because the communication has been turned off! The other bike will hear a beep in his headset and then will not be able to hear or talk to you. This takes over a minute to re-establish because about the time the communication would be restored, the command to turn will occur. Woe unto the biker who chooses a different path from the gps because the "recalculating" message will repeat itself for a while, keeping you cut off from your buddies. Of course, turn signals go a long way... We are going to experiment to see if the gps commands are loud enough to be heard without bluetoothing to the Scala. Does anyone have a fix for this? Or am I just getting spoiled by technology?
Old August 29th, 2011   #7
Okeephe

I just use Google Navigator, on my phone, and skip the GPS. It gives me voice directions, in my ear, and I listen to mp3s and answer the phone as needed.

The only gripe I have is I can't voice command the phone through the G4. It's supposed to work, but the phone can't understand me through the G4.

It might be that I have to voice 'train' my phone first. The phone works fine with the hands-free in my Chrysler.

I can keep the phone in my glove box, plugged in while I ride too, so it doesn't run the battery down.

STOC # 8235
Okeephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011   #8
Deano
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeephe View Post
I just use Google Navigator, on my phone, and skip the GPS. It gives me voice directions, in my ear, and I listen to mp3s and answer the phone as needed.

The only gripe I have is I can't voice command the phone through the G4. It's supposed to work, but the phone can't understand me through the G4.

It might be that I have to voice 'train' my phone first. The phone works fine with the hands-free in my Chrysler.

I can keep the phone in my glove box, plugged in while I ride too, so it doesn't run the battery down.
Are you using an IPhone? The newest IOS was required for the voice commands to work on my Sena. I disabled voice-activation(to much wind noise) on the Sena and a simple manual tap wakes my IPhone 4's voice command.

"Ain't nothing stoppin us now but the leavin' of it all"

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Sold)
2008 ST1300A "Scarlet" (Glory Red is the Fastest)
2008 Kaw C14 (Sold)
2003 ST1300 (RIP)
15 years in No Bike Land
1986 Nighthawk S (sold)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011   #9
Redfish
Donators

Thank you both, my phone is a Samsung Rugby II and it works just fine with the Scala. I use the Rugby because it is very durable and waterproof. I spend so much time on boats, motorcycles and tractors that I destroy phones rapidly. The Rugby works well and the Scala has no issues with wind noise, voice dialing and communication is unaffected by it so far. My gripe is that with either the GPS or the phone when they cut in they take priority over the bike to bike communication. This is as it should be, but they both take considerable time to come back to the intercomm feature. If the GPS tells you "Turn left in 1 mile", you want to communicate that to your buddy but you can't because the intercomm is disabled. At normal riding speeds, just when the intercomm comes back on you have covered that mile and the GPS says "Turn left now!" and you still can't tell your buddy. A minor gripe, I know, and it is not an issue if you are by yourself and not using the bike to bike communication.
Old August 30th, 2011   #10
Okeephe

"Are you using an IPhone? "

No, I have an android phone, HTC Desire.

The lag between devices is why I just use the phone. I keep it in my inside pocket of my motorcycle jacket. If the battery runs low, I put the phone in my locking glove box, plugged in to it's charger.

I listen to FM radio, off the scala, or to MP3 music on the phone. When it stops the music , to tell me directions, it switches back and forth quickly.

STOC # 8235
Okeephe is offline   Reply With Quote