ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Communications

Old February 17th, 2014   #1
Mick
Loquacious Member

Default Need help w/ Sena firmware upgrade

I just installed the update manager and updated my SMH10 (to 4.3) and SM10 (to 1.1). Now I cannot get the two to pair.

On my first attempt to go through the process on the SMH10, the driver failed to install properly so I had to do everything all over again. The second attempt seemed to go OK. As recommended, I did a factory reset to clear out all pairings. When I tried to pair, no bueno. I attempted it several times. I then went through the update procedure again. Still no pairing. Because I installed more than once, I no longer have the original backup to restore.

Anybody have this problem and/or have any suggestions on what I might try? I've emailed Sena and even tried calling them but no replies yet. I'm in a hurry to get this resolved so that I can get it fixed for a ride I'm going to take this weekend. I'm thinking Sena my have President's Day off.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #2
Mick
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Need help w/ Sena firmware upgrade

Problem resolved! Diagnosis - brain fart! The problem turned out to be the operator .

I have previously only paired my setup once. When I went to do it again after doing the update and performing both the factory and fault resets, I had to refer back to the manual for the pairing steps. No matter how many times I read it and performed the procedure, it just wouldn't work. I was obviously doing something wrong. At any rate, using the Sena rep's suggested procedure, it paired the first time.

In the event someone else has my same problem with reading comprehension, below is the Sena rep's instructions from his email outlining the procedure for pairing the SMH10 headset to the SM10 transmitter (both steps assume the units are already turned on).

To pair the units together :

1. SMH10 - Press and hold the phone button (small button on the side) for five seconds, until it is flashing red and blue, then let go.

2. SM10 - Press the center button for five seconds until the blue LED is flashing rapidly and then let go.
Just let the two find each other now.

< MY NOTE: After the 2 are paired, each will have a slowly flashing blue light>

If you have a second SMH10, just pair it the same way, but when it comes to the SM10, hold the pairing button for 8 seconds until just the red LED is flashing and then let go

Old February 18th, 2014   #3
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

You Texans are so clever.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #4
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
You Texans are so clever.

Yes, we are smart enough to call the vendor when we hit a snag!

Old February 18th, 2014   #5
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Even better.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #6
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

This old farte doesn't have a clue what you are talking about.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014   #7
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWingit View Post
This old farte doesn't have a clue what you are talking about.

Apologies ahead of time if you already know what these items are but the Sena, SMH10 is a bluetooth helmet headset and the SM10 is a wireless transmitter that you can plug devices into that you want to hear through the headset. I have a radar detector and a Sony Walkman, MP3/Radio player that I plug into the transmitter.

I'm normally pretty much a ludite when it comes to the latest electronic gadgets. I ride to relax, not multitask with multiple electronics bits. I like to keep things simple and cheap but this is one invention that was a godsend to me.

On long distance trips, I use to always have a radar detector and CB Radio to protect not only against my own normal 5 to 10 mph over posted speeds, but to also protect my pocket book from the many speed traps you see when traveling around the US (I once got a speeding ticket for doing 3 mph over the limit... 68 in a 65!!!).

The setup I used to get the audio signal from the radar detector & CB to my ears was a J&M headset and a somewhat involved series of amplifiers and LOTS of wires and plugs stuffed into my tank bag. On easily half of those trips, bad connections would develop via broken wires (very fine, fragile wiring in those headsets and associated wiring). It got expensive and frustrating. When Bluetooth technology began to appear, I saw that there might be a wireless solution to my problem. I waited until this past Christmas before jumping on the wireless bandwagon.

It is SO nice to be able to not have to fight all those wires. I just plug the radar detector into the SM10 transmitter and listen for alerts on the SMH10 headset (I no longer use a CB). The only thing I have to worry about is making sure that both devices are charged up.

Being able to listen to music to make the time pass faster on those long interstate slogs is a really nice plus.

All of this is old hat to most on these forums. I don't normally embrace technology until it is fully proven and the price has come down. Bluetooth technology in motorcycle headsets has been around for a while so I'm having to just now learn the ins and outs of this stuff.

Edit:
Forgot to mention about device "pairing" that I wrote about in my original post . This is something that has to be done the first time the bluetooth headset is used. It's a process of linking the headset receiver to the the bluetooth device that is doing the transmitting.

Last edited by Mick; February 19th, 2014 at 07:36 AM.