ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old July 5th, 2008   #1
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Heat issue in Georgia.

From: ksjsb (Original Message)Sent: 5/31/2006 5:33 PMHello everyone, Im new to the board. Just bought an 06 ST last week. I am in Georgia. We have had 90 degreee + days this week, and the heat from the engine is causing me to take the truck rather than my new bike. I have read somewhere on this board over the last 2 months about this subject but have thus far only found one post in Issues & Fix's posted on 10/13/05, (removing the inner cowling) What are you guy's in the south doing to make your bikes comfortable to ride. I had assumed that the problem I had heard about was when you were at a red light or a stop sign. did not expect to have all this heat on my legs at 30 to 60 mph. If I can not find a fix, with summer comming, I am going to have to buy heat sheilds for my legs.
zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008   #2
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Heat issue in Georgia.

good luck with this one. Its a design problem that needs to be worked out from the manufacturer. This board has come up with some suggestions which may or may not provide enough impact to satisify your needs. Same thing had happened with yamahas FJR1300. There first generation was a cooker. Board members tried all sorts of stuff to get it under control. The real fix came from the manufacturer in 2006 with a redesign of the entire air management system. Honda has not yet stepped up to the plate to address there issue. I quickly unloaded my sT1300 after a season of frying and purchased something that had adequate heat dispersal. I keep my eye out for what honda has planned for the Gen II ST1300 (which will probably be called the ST1400) which is rumored to be 2009-2010. Untill then, stay in your truck, know that others feel your pain, and make some hard decisions on how to move forward.

GreyGoose
Old July 5th, 2008   #3
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

From: newmotorheadSent: 12/2/2007 2:13 PMThe two common "fixes" mentioned are:

1. Inner Cowls. Remove the majority of the inner cowls, leaving just enough to retain the fasteners and the inside strip, closest to the radiator, about two inches wide (cut along the bend line).

2. Balance the Throttle Bodies. This can be done using the Morgan CarbTune (http://www.carbtune.com/).

I say "fixes" because both techniques have their supporters
and detractors.

I did number one, but only cut out a portion of the upper inner cowl and that did not fix the problem. I have now performed more drastic surgery but will have to wait for warm weather to gauge the effectiveness. I also have the Morgan Carbtune on order.

John-
Old July 5th, 2008   #4
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

It will be obvious how to remove the inner cowls when you stick your head behind the front wheel. three or four screws plus one push pin on each side. You will also have to tie wrap the air temperature senser to a nearby hole. Nothing else has to be removed to get to them. I have had mine removed for three years and 25,000 miles with no problems and no excessive heat

I have been following this issue for years on here and most of the folks who were not satisfied with this mod. where the ones who cut a bunch of holes in the cowls rather then just tossing the damn things. I cut about 2 1/2 inches off the upper front triangle of each cowl and reinstalled as before with one screw and one push pin. This will bring back most of the side fairing stiffness without blocking any of the under fairing air flow which is why we are removing them. As a test I even had a coyote run into my left side fairing while I was doing about 55 and no damage!! I have no other heat mods except for cutting 5" off of my stock power shield. I was thinking about selling the bike before I learned about this mod but I am a happy camper now.

PS This is a funny time for this thread to resurface. Yesterday it got down to 15 degrees and tonight it's supposed to snow here in the Northern Sierra's!

Ed
STOC# 929, IBA# 218