ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old September 12th, 2016   #1
Luiggi ST
Donators

Default Engine shuting down and odd behavior

Hello everyone,
Up to today I have not been able to successfully fix my 2003 ST, a bit of precedent information of the situation I am in:

It started some 4 months ago having a weird episode while ridding for a couple of hours on a very hot day here (around 90 F), while riding on a stop and go traffic condition, the bike suddenly staled and the FI light started flashing, I did not put enough attention to it since I thought it was my mistake, I immediately push the start button and the bike did not fire up, it would turn but not start.

Then I turned the key to off position and turned back to on, pushed the start button and this time the bike worked, but the FI light remained lit, not flashing though, I resumed driving for another 15 minutes in which I had a very rough behavior in the bike, it will not pick up speed for a moment and then it would just go (surge I think it’s the term), it had very erratic acceleration behavior, parked the bike for 3-4 hours and when I came back home it was all fine, no more FI light on, started at the first push of the button, etc.

But then, around 3 weeks later, the bike stale again with same symptoms, this time I drained the battery after some 5 – 6 attempts to start the bike again, finally I had to have somebody giving me a push and then I was able to start the bike and get to my destination, I did a couple of higher rev’s on the bike while ridding and this caused the FI to go off, when I get there, turned the bike off and then started up again…no issues, it will just start right at the first push, no FI light either.

Based on my investigation around this I have done the following on the bike:
- Checked and inspected the knock sensors on both side of the engine
- They looked clean and crack/melt free around its casing and connectors
- Then I replaced the air filter, looked ok and not much dirt or grime built around
- Inspected and cleaned the 5-way T joint close to the throttle controls, mine was clean and not build up or obstruction was observed on any of the 5 entry ports of this plastic connector
- Ran 3 gas tanks using an injector cleaner (STP), which improved the response of the bike
- Tested the battery showing following conditions:
o 12.8 volts at rest, no chargers attached and bike not used in 24 hours
o 10.6 volts at the push of the start button
o 14.3 volts during the warm up of the engine
o 14.1 volts at engine idle

Right now the bike is starting OK, BUT, I have seen that the bike as it reaches 1 bar during the warming up process, it suddenly shuts down, the dashboard then keep the low oil light on (not FI nor ABS light on) and the gas level bar starts blinking, if I push the start button immediately, the bike will turn but will not fire up, if I turn the key off and then return it back to on, the dashboard will kept the oil level light on only and the gas bar will kept flashing (no ABS nor FI light will light during this attempt), oil level is right at the middle of the sight glass.

Sometimes, after waiting 2 or 3 hours of this, I will try to start the bike again and it will just go as normal, all three light on (ABS, FI and low oil) and then they will go off after 1 or 2 seconds of the bike running and the gas bar will stop flashing.

I have noticed this odd behavior right after the bike reaching the 1st bar during the warming process, once I reach the 3 bars it will not shut nor do anything weird, but I have not ridden the bike too much since to confirm that the first episodes I described here are gone or still there, I am afraid that the bike my stale while riding and this time will not be able to start it up again.

This is very odd and I am really looking to find a solution to this, any help will be appreciated…and sorry for my extended message but tried to put as much detail on it as possible.

Saludos,
Luis
Old September 12th, 2016   #2
echo

Default Re: Engine shuting down and odd behavior

The voltage readings you took of the battery before and after starting indicate all is well with your battery and charging system.

Other than that Im afraid I cant be of much help!

My ST11 would start and run flawlessly but occasionally just shut off like right in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic doing 75. When I wasnt killed/maimed and safely at a stop the engine would crank but not fire/run.

Then in a half hour or so it would suddenly start and run normally until it did it again.

Something was wrong with the interlock "safety" system that prevents starting with the sidestand down/engine in gear without the clutch pulled in. Never figured out exactly what was wrong but developed a work around for the problem.

I just hate it when "safety" gizmos almost kill me! I can take care of myself without any "help" like this thankyou very much!

Good luck Im sure someone will be along shortly who can help!

Last edited by echo; September 12th, 2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old September 12th, 2016   #3
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Don't pay too much attention to that oil light. It's controlled by a pressure switch and will come on any time the engine isn't running. You're not going to have any oil pressure when the oil pump is not running as is the case with a stopped engine.

This is a really weird problem but since at least at one point you had a blinking FI light, there was and may still be an error code stored in the ECM. Have you tried extracting the code via the the method described in the service manual using the red diagnostic connector under the passenger seat? The ECM will store any codes for a period of time even if the FI light is now off.

It's easier to get the codes when the FI light is on, just lower the side stand while the FI light is illuminated, tranmission in neutral and key in the on position - the code should begin blinking out. When no FI light is present you have to use the method in the service manual
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016   #4
Poppi
Donators

+1 on checking for stored codes. It might lead you to a failing fuel pump.

Good luck,

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016   #5
Luiggi ST
Donators

Hi everyone,

Here is an update, I tried to check the stored codes, I used the jump wire on the connector port in the back, connected the brown and green/pink openings and folloed the instructions as per your comments, nothing happened, no blinks nor FI light illuminating nor anything.

I would turn the key to on, then move the switch to run and I would expect to have the FI light flashing...well nothing, tried to start the bike and again, it would turn but would not fire up, the dashboard only had the oil light on, the ABS and FI were off.

I removed the battery terminals and let the bike sit with no charge for three days, I installed yesterday the battery back and everything was cool, at the turn of the key switch all three lights on dash would lit (and then going off) and the bike would fire up right away, let it ran for 15 minutes and did not see anything odd.

took the bike to my work today and did not noticed anything wrong....I still need to commute back to my house, so I will post if anything happens until then...what could be happening? could it be that not having current the bike would clear any glitch or issue stored somewhere??

Saludos,
Luis
Old September 22nd, 2016   #6
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Depending on how long ago you saw the code, perhaps it's already reset itself? No codes no worry?

-Jeff
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016   #7
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Luis . . . it could be an intermitent problem .Maybe it was only an informatic bug that went by like the one I had last Year . http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=4725

It is in that same thread at page 3 post number 21 that You first reported your ST problem on June 4th, 2016 . . . http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=4725&page=3

You have to ride and wait for the problem to come back and get a code or codes . I know it is not fun to ride when You are not sure you will get to your destination

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; September 23rd, 2016 at 09:44 AM.
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016   #8
Luiggi ST
Donators

Hi everyone,

I finally found the solution to my problems, it was a burned connector sitting underneath the gas tank closer to its hinge pivot, attached are some photos of such connector, the mechanic told me that it's odd to have this part burn since first it would have blown the fuse first but this did not happen..mmhhh...but anyway, bike is bacl to its flawless condition and I am again one happy dude..thought I should post it in case someone else has similar sympthons.

Saludos!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (1).jpg (35.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (40.1 KB, 47 views)
Old November 4th, 2016   #9
echo

Excellent!
Old November 4th, 2016   #10
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

U.S. 2003 & 2004 Models were recalled for this.
Recall instructions are contained in the pdf file below the picture of the "kit".
Terrible pictures but you will get the idea as to what was done and why.
Recall #2 mentioned was for a improperly routed wire behind the left side cover.
It was rerouted, zip-tied in place, and repaired IF chafing was found.
I have the recall notice on it if your interested.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST Ground Recall Kit.jpg (69.8 KB, 48 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ST Ground Recall Instructions.pdf (334.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by PaulRB; November 4th, 2016 at 07:30 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote