ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old March 13th, 2016   #21
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Throttle

We follow manufactures recommendations on a regular basis, 42/42 tire pressures, Moly 60 on the splines, Silicate free coolant, a torque sequence for the front wheel.
Why should oil be any different?

When the manufacture of a product does not recommend it's product be used in certain circumstances it seems it would give someone thinking about using it cause for pause.

Paul
Old March 13th, 2016   #22
Coltabilly

Oh yea, I changed the oil to Valvoline MC 10w40 also. Just for my piece of mind. :-)
Coltabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016   #23
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

The ST1300 requires a learning curve. One of the best bikes ever built, but also one of the strangest.

Glad the clutch is now working to your satisfaction. I hope you get the rest of it sorted out.
Old March 13th, 2016   #24
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
We follow manufactures recommendations on a regular basis...
Why should oil be any different?

When the manufacture of a product does not recommend it's product be used in certain circumstances it seems it would give someone thinking about using it cause for pause.

Paul
While I agree with you for the most part on this, we do sometimes install non-factory approved accessories. These aftermarket accessories are often wonderful and reliable and only add to the goodness of the bike.

I personally do not like to criticize the choices other folks make with their bikes, they paid for the bike, they can pay for their own...choices.

(No, that is NOT a shot at anyone!)

That said, I run motorcycle oil in my motorcycle. I run Rotella T6 synthetic in my Duramax because that is where it belongs.

Just thinking... My GMC Duramax DOES have a catalytic convertor...
Old March 13th, 2016   #25
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post

Just thinking... My GMC Duramax DOES have a catalytic convertor...

The Shell statement specifically says "gasoline vehicles" with a Cat.

Paul

Oil is not a accessory, aftermarket or otherwise.
Old March 13th, 2016   #26
Redfish
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
The Shell statement specifically says "gasoline vehicles" with a Cat.

Paul

Oil is not a accessory, aftermarket or otherwise.
I know, I read that before when you posted it in another thread. I was just sort of thinking out loud. Not really out loud though, more like typing silently but publicly. But if anyone had been here I would have said it out loud. Of course I am by myself so I did not say it out loud because if anyone heard me talking to myself they might think I was crazy. On the other hand I could have lied and said that I was actually talking to them, not myself but then that would have been dishonest. I try to be honest.

But, you and I do disagree a bit on the oil thing. You like your Amsoil I think? I always use either Honda or Yamaha conventional. Do you not think that your use of high quality Amsoil is a bit of an add-on? I mean if you follow the manufacturer's specs EXACTLY...

And what about tire pressures? Do we all follow the specs on that? Does everyone go back with EXACTLY the same weight fork oil? What about upgraded aftermarket suspension? I know you have that on your yellow GoldWing.

And how can it be Yellow and Gold at the same time? Is that not a contradiction?

Is this making you more grouchy than normal? If so, stop harassing me when I am TRYING to agree with you!

Hugs and... well, no kisses.
Old March 13th, 2016   #27
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 122 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Transitioning from a flexible, carbed, chain driven bike to the fuel injected, shaft driven ST1300 can come as a bit of a shock. Some people really struggle with adapting their right hand to this. I adapted and have no problem.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016   #28
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Never adapt and never say die.
Well, almost never.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016   #29
PaulRB
ST Guru

Amsoil meets all manufactures (Honda) specs.

You can bad mouth my oil choice but you tread on slippery turf questioning the YellowWing.
I'll have you know the Yellow model is/was the only Gold Wing without at least one gold pin-strip. The side covers were not pin-stripped at all as to not interfere with the blinding Yellow.
Two shades of blue for the yellow faux "fuel tank" and the "air wings" on the radiator got only a single blue line as did the bottom edge of the "tank".

In 1976 you could get yourself a Yellow fleet.
The ATC-90, CB400F, CB750F, GL1000.

For the LTD I have the original rear shocks and the highly prized 45/45 Sealed Beam Headlight.
For those that think the ST's 45w head light is anemic I'll bet you never toured behind a 45/45 Sealed Beam.
Keep in mind Halogen headlights were not legal in the U.S. until 1978.
45/45 was state-of-the-art in 76.

Bacon Grease can, and should be, substituted for fork oil.

Paul
It's all good.

Last edited by PaulRB; March 13th, 2016 at 06:55 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016   #30
Paul st1300

Never be caught out after dark on early wings original head lights. If you leave those on bright these days no one would even flash their light for being to bright. If you ever have a problem with the ST13 headlights being to dim you must be blind. I own both so I do know.
STOC #8864
Paul st1300 is offline   Reply With Quote