ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old March 12th, 2016   #1
Coltabilly

Default Throttle

So, I've been riding my ST1300 to work for a few weeks now and have a question about throttle response. Mine seems to have a lot of lag and jerks when I roll off then back on the throttle again. You think it could be a cable issue or maybe a carb problem?
Riding in the DC traffic, so not rolling off the throttle is not an option.

Thanks for the help.
Coltabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #2
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Throttle

Some ST13s have built in artificial intelligence. Are you commuting on the Beltway during rush hour? Your bike doesnt share your death wish. It wants to live! There are worse problems riding on the Beltway during rush hour like getting run over.

Seriously this is a common problem with the EFI. I accelerated mine like a moped and had no issues ever. But then I didnt ride in congested areas.

Could be though youre in too high a gear for that sort of thing...try riding in second.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; March 12th, 2016 at 04:33 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #3
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I do not have an answer but I figured anything would be better than what you got from post #2.

You mentioned "carb problem" and just to be clear, the ST1300 has no carburetors. It is fuel injected.

My '04 ST did something similar to what you describe but only if I were over 5000 or so feet in elevation. It never had any issues at sea level in Louisiana but was quite irritating in Colorado.

I am curious as to whether your bike has been sitting up during the winter with ethanol fuel. My first thought would be the gasoline itself. There are further steps to troubleshooting but we should start off with simple and basic.
Old March 12th, 2016   #4
chaissos
Donators

You could try running some seafoam through it to give the EFI system a basic clean-out. Might not help, but it might.

Make sure you're in the right gear. If you're rolling back on the throttle (and from what I remember about beltway traffic, everyone uses full throttle after they slow down) and want to get back up to speed quick, you're going to want to keep the revs up a bit. I would say staying in the 4-5K range would work for that type of traffic.

The ST will roll on just fine from ~30 in 5th, but it won't be the fastest thing out there. If you want quick, low revs won't quite get you there.

Check cable adjustment, too. How much slack do you have? I keep mine pretty small, only about 5-10 degrees on the throttle tube, or, if you measure movement, about 1/4 inch.

Just a thought or two. HTH
Old March 12th, 2016   #5
Coltabilly

Duh, no carbs...

Well, gas is good, I've run through a few tanks now.

Could be gear selection I guess, mostly happens at lower speeds in traffic (which is most of the time). I'll try to do better at that. I'm always in a hurry to get some distance from the person on their phone...

While I have you here... I'm concerned about the clutch too. Seems to hit pretty hard no matter how well I feather it. Clutch appears at right level and clean. Just changes engine oil too. Is there an adjustment - other than me.
Coltabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #6
echo
The sky is falling...

No adjustment although the lever is adjustable. The fluid in the clutch can get amazingly nasty amazingly fast. Changing it once a year/every 5000 miles isnt too often. I cant tell you how many posts Ive seen where the transmission wouldnt shift or shifted hard and it was due to the clutch fluid. It turns BLACK and sometimes isnt apparent thru the window...

My advice is shift with the throttle at idle. Clutch in or out. No feathering. No throttle with partial clutch. Clutches last the life of the vehicle that way.

But I am old.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #7
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

As mentioned above the easiest thing is to check the throttle free play first, simple adjustment too, it's very hard ride smoothly if there is much slack.
Old March 12th, 2016   #8
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Just for additional reference purposes, what year is your ST and how many miles? Have you owned it from new or just got it?

I will actually agree with Echo about the clutch fluid. Because the slave cylinder is down in a very hot area, the fluid gets very nasty, very quickly. It will look fine in the reservoir where you can see it but will be black as ink if you bleed it. If you have not done so very recently, flushing that clutch fluid is strongly recommended.

I hate to even ask this but you mentioned you just changed the engine oil. I trust that you did not use automotive oil? The Energy Conserving rating for most automotive oils indicates additives that are not compatible with the wet clutch in the ST.
Old March 12th, 2016   #9
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 84 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
As mentioned above the easiest thing is to check the throttle free play first, simple adjustment too, it's very hard ride smoothly if there is much slack.
We have a Winner!
Most if not all the ST's need the cable adjusted.

There needs to some but very little slack, far less than you ran on a carb equipped bike.

Once adjusted turn the bars in both direction to full lock to insure it does not up the idle.

Easy adjustment that goes a long way to smooth out the throttle response.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; March 12th, 2016 at 06:49 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #10
motornut

In the shop manual there is a description on balancing the throttle bodies and I have found a difference in idle and off idle there, also there is linkage from right to left pairs that makes a difference too. But that is probably on high mileage in a dusty area. I have also run into a funny throttle response in Butte and asked the Honda dealer about it and he'd found that to be common with the ST's. He said a Commander would cover it until you go back to a lower elevation. His suggestion was "live with it, not hurting anything"
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote