ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old June 4th, 2016   #21
Luiggi ST
Donators

Default Re: FI (MIL) multiple codes reading . . .

Hello everyone,

Although this is an old post, I will use it seeking for some help, last weekend I took the owner of my pay check (wife) and good old palomita (my grey metallic ST) for a long day tour around nearby towns, I have to mention that it was very hot at around 95 F. (35 celsius).

Everything was OK for the first 1 and half hours of ridding, then as we approach the entrance of a little town, we encountered some traffic so we started to do a lot of start-stop motion, after some 10 minutes the bike just stalled and the FI light came on, I tried to re-start the bike immediately since I was in the middle of the avenue blocking the transit, the bike would not start, but the engine would turn.

I decided to manually paddle my way to one side of the road so I could get rid of the honk man behind me, I then turned the key to off position, remove it out of the switch, waited like 5 seconds, inserted back on the switch and turned it to on position, pushed the button and then the engine started, the FI light did not come on again, but I noticed the engine with a bit of rough feeling, I resumed the driving and every now and then I could feel how the bike would accelerate and desaccelerate on its own, no matter how gentle I was with the throttle the bike would just pull and then return to normal acceleration behavior, I did not see the FI light come on during this activity, I then decided to stop the bike on an enclosed parking lot hoping that the shade and some cooling time would help to alliviate this, the bad acceleration behavior happened like 4 or 5 times before I stopped the bike on this park lot.

Went to have lunch and some beers (alcohol clears the frustration some times), after 5 hours of cooling time, we decided to return home before the night would get us on the road if something happened, started the bike and normal behavior, drove 50 miles back home (80 kilometers) and I could not see anything wrong, I tested the acceleration in a little stretch of the road and hit the 100 mph with out noticing anything weird (other than wife busting my chops and hitting my helmet during this).

I read on this forum that FI light comes ussually when you have a bank sensor problem, usually under heavy loads and high temperature during ridding, which to me where the right conditions for this to happen, I took the tupperware out today and looked at these sensors (located behind and in between the two exhaust on each side of the engine block) took some pictures which I am including here but could not see anything wrong with them, they looked ok and they were not loose nor damaged, I applied a bit of WD40 just to make sure I cleaned some grime and dust from then but they were just fine.

What could have happened then..?? I'm planning to have another trip next weekend with some friends (solo this time) and I am afraid that same condition could happen again while away from home.

My bike is a 2003 model, with 40K miles in the oddo, I just replaced the plugs some 2,500 miles ago and appart from this the bike has been flawless.

Next two pictures are from the sensors located in the right hand side:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160604_103533.jpg (51.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20160604_103548.jpg (53.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Luiggi ST; June 4th, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
Luiggi ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016   #22
Luiggi ST
Donators

These two pictures are from the left hand side:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160604_103641.jpg (50.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20160604_103649.jpg (50.4 KB, 32 views)
Old June 4th, 2016   #23
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Did You check if their is any stored code in the computer ?

If not . . . the first thing to do is to follow the procedure and pull them out . You have to take the seat off ,locate the red diagnostic plug on the right side, connect together with any piece of a small steel wire , the two proper wires , turn the igition switch to on ,the ECU will start to talk . Note the code if any . . . refer to shop manual for more details .

When more than one failure occurs the MIL shows the blinks in the order of lowest number to highest number. Well . . . it is suppose to do so

Start a new thread or post them here ,and some of us on will help You ,for sure . I will not be able to do so, since I will be away for many days . . . good luck

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016   #24
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 146 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Are you saying that your wife is a heavy load?

Did you remove and check the connectors for the bank angle sensors?
There have been some that fry from the heat.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016   #25
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 84 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I may be somewhat confused but those pictures are of the Knock Sensors.
The Bank Angle Sensor is attached to the back of the headlight assembly.
The BAS controls the fuel cut-off.

Knock Sensor faults will deliver MIL Codes.
Bank Angle does not but it will prevent the bike from starting.

Last edited by PaulRB; June 4th, 2016 at 04:18 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016   #26
Luiggi ST
Donators

Thanks all,

My bad, I wanted to refer as the knock sensors, they were kind of thight to remove, there is not much slack between the connecting cable and the plug itself, will try that tomorrow to see how they look inside, I am right then to assume that this odd behavior of the FI might have come from these sensors? What else should I be looking at? I used the bike a couple of times this week to commute to work and the bike was like nothing ever happened. It stars at the firts push of the button, and pulls like always did....this is why I am more confused.

For heavy load I was referring more on me than on my lovely, feather like wife ....(she is looking over my shoulder as I am typing....hehehe).

Saludos!!!
Old June 5th, 2016   #27
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 84 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Left Knock Sensor will be 25 blinks.
Right Knock Sensor will be 26.
Even with the codes the engine will operate normally.

Knock Sensors wiring plug has been known to get brittle and fail due to heat.

Knock Sensor Harness
Part number 6050-01197632 fitting a 2003-2004 Honda Pilot is a short wire but incidental plug to the ST's knock sensor harness.
OEM part number W01331972553
Under $3.00 apiece last time I looked.

I do not think the Knock Sensor is where your problem lies.

A stall in high heat that re-starts when cooled.
I think I would tend to be looking at a fuel issue.
I believe we have had heard a few vapor lock or at least something that indicates a vapor lock like condition.
Not all that common on fuel infected as it was carb equipped due to higher fuel pressure but todays fuel is crap.

Quick and simple test.
Check for codes. The Manual will tell you how and what they are.

Switch brands of fuel.
Go to Regular if your not already there but go to fresh either way.
I'd start here before I would even raise the tank.

Look for a pinched hose in the EVAP system. There is also a 5 way joint, the big one, in the rats nest of hoses/wiring at the Throttle Bodies.
I do not believe we have heard of a plugged joint from here before but if you in the neighborhood looking about look at the joint and it's lines.

Paul
Old June 5th, 2016   #28
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default FI (MIL) multiple codes reading . . .

If the FI light came on after the bike stalled, I think that's normal. Before doing anything else check for error codes. You can use the jumper method and the diagnostic connector under the seat but in some cases the code can be read by turning the key to "ON" (don't start the engine) and lowering the side stand.

-Jeff
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; June 5th, 2016 at 09:39 AM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016   #29
Luiggi ST
Donators

Thanks all for your responses,

Actions to do:

- Do a full tank with fresh gasoline (I always put "premium" which is the highest good quality gas we can get here with 92 "octanes" (hope it's the right word)
- Check for this so called 5 way joint plug, clean it
- Check for codes using the bay pass process with a wire (more detailed information on this process would be appreciated, pictures a big plus)

I have been using the bike recently and no issues nor lights on the dashboard, should I still check for codes although they are not showing or displaying at every start of the bike? while checking for the codes, will I see a blinking pattern? I understadn that depending on the blinks this means a particular faulty code or problem, should I reset the codes if they are present during my verification? is this something the bike will automatically "delete" once I address the problem indicated by its code?

Sorry if I had a lot of questions, but I think this should be an easy think to fix on my own, and I want to make sure I got it right.

Saludos,
Old June 7th, 2016   #30
PaulRB
ST Guru

If Premium is not a big seller where you are switch to Regular.
The higher price of Premium tends to let it sit in the tanks, their tanks not yours, much longer getting old and collecting crap and moisture.
The ST runs fine on Regular in almost every case.

Check for codes first.
Follow the procedure outlined in the manual which you will need to figure out what the code is telling you.
Reset the codes after you have addressed any issues.
They are "in memory". Leave them there until you have corrected the issues.
It will be the last thing you do.

Paul