ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old September 2nd, 2015   #11
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Red face Re: FI (MIL) multiple codes reading . . .

I was a car mecanic when I was Young ,bikes owner and rider continusly since my 16 Years old in 1971 and Honda exclusively since 1973 ,previous bike was an 1991 ST 1100. I am on this Forum since the beguining and even on the précedent one . . . every thing related to maintenance and problems on the St have been read here ,and on some other Forums also . All the maintenance is done by myself on my 2003 ST received in the end of October 2002 and it is not the first time I read code on ST ,including mine

. . . Many years ago , the right knock sensor wire was reinsulated after the plastic plug falled apparts because of the heat and the evident lack of engenering from big red once again . . . insufficient shielding ,bad location ,not enough insulation on the wire ,and the stupid car plug used to connect on the sensor . The terminal where connected directly on the sensor and all contact point have been cleaned and use of diéelectric grease .Then the stupid plastic plug ,now in a bag by the computer was replaced with high temperature sensor safe silicone of a verry good quality and quantity .This connection is waterproof ,airproof ,vibration proof and the last time (this Spring maintenance ) I had a look at it ,it was in perfect shape .

. . . The 5 Way T maintenance was done a couple of years back .My ST started having intermitent code about the map sensor and was never changed since it had always tested good ,as soon has 2006 .The 5 way T was repositioned in a way that he is no longer the lowest collecting point for the oil fume to acumulate in it .My theory is that those oil fume comes from the air box .Many of us have noticed that there is plenty of this in the air box .While parked on the small side stand ,those fume condensate and slowly migrate in the two left trottle body and near the inlet hole of those two tube connected to the 5 way T . All You have to do now is start the motor and ride . . . four tube from each throttle body connected to the 5 way T standing at the lowest point , and the fift tube connection end in a dead end ,the map sensor.This condensate oil is trapped in theire and by heat process with the help of time , turns in the grease like crude that eventually plug this too small inside diameter T . . . engeneer have sometime no choice using what the Boss said to .

Back to why I have opened this thread . . . What is VERRY STRANGE , and I am telling You all . . . is what the computer gave me .Like I have mentioned in post no 3 .I did not missinterpreted the multiples Codes reading . . . and I can assure You Guys that ,before I erased them I did the reading many,many, many time before I decided to do so .I should had make a vidéo and post it ,instead

From post no 3 : " The next day after a good night sleep ,I went back to my ST in the garage ,took the Corbin Smuggler off and connected together the two wires in the diagnostic plug to see if there is a recorded code .After I turned the igition switch to on ,the ECU started to talk an to my stupefaction, counting the long and short blink gave me a list of multiple codes . . . 12 + 9 + 26 . Took the shop manual out of the tool box and after futher investigation and readind about ECU codes readings again and again , I got all mix up because the shop manual clearly indicate that the ECU is suppose to give the code in order starting with the lowest number .So what is that first long extraterestrial blink doing there ,is he in fact a 10 ,giving this . . . 10 + 2 + 9 + 26 .Again, according to the shop manual ,it aint right neither because their is no 10 and 20 in the list,so may be I was misinterpreting the first one even he is clearly a long blink , so then it would be codes 1 + 2 + 9 + 26 "

Based on what it is wrote in my 2004 Honda Shop Manual ,the only problem is with THE CODE 12 POSITION . . . but again , he was always the first one to come out and it was ONE LONG BLINK followed by TWO SHORT BLINK and the other codes following where 9 and 26 .

I would have not brougth this to if this was not real The first code do not belong there because the ECU is suppose to give them in ORDER according to the shop manual ,right ?

Can some of You Guys would Please verify in Your Honda shop manual of 2004 and OTHER YEARS if we have corolation on this in all of them.This information in the FI section where it explain how to do code reading .In one paragraph ,they mention that the codes are suppose to get out in order .

I am going for a ride today and since I have erased all those stange codes from my ST's ECU . . . if there is a real problem it will come back eventually

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; September 2nd, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015   #12
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: FI (MIL) multiple codes reading . . .

From the 03 - 07 manual.

"When more than one failure occurs the MIL shows the blinks in the order of lowest number to highest number."

"For example: if the indicator blinks once, the two times, two failures have occurred. Follow codes 1 (page 15) and 2 (page 17) troubleshooting."
Poorly written at best and they could have two differing issues for some clarity.

Using your numbers of 12 + 9 + 26 I would read as: 3 failures
One long 1.3 seconds then two short. Fist failure.
A gap of no blinks.
Nine blinks. Second failure.
A gap of no blinks.
One long 1.3 seconds another long 1.3 seconds then six blinks. Third failure.
This reading does not follow the lowest first protocol.

1 + 2 + 9 + 26
I would read this as: 4 failures
one blink. First failure
A gap of no blinks.
two blinks. Second failure.
A gap of no blinks.
nine blinks. Third failure.
A gap of no blinks.
one long blink (10), another long blink (10), six blinks. Forth failure.
This reading would follow the lowest first protocol.

The 9 and 26 blinks seen to be in both scenarios.
9 - IAT Sensor. Plug the sensor back in on the air box.
26 - Knock Sensor. Wiggle the wires.
I have a note in the dreaded Red Ink that the color codes are incorrect.
Left - Red/Blue
Right - Black
More Red Ink
3. Left Knock Sensor Open Circuit Inspection
No - Should read: No Continuity - Open Circuit in Red/Blue wire.

I think I would go after the two codes that are in both scenarios first and get them cleared.
Then check the MAP Sensor. As a 1 or 2 blinks they are both MAP sensor related.

One long and two short, 12 blink code, would put you in the #1 Injector and the engine would not start if the error is there.
The others it starts and run normal.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; September 2nd, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015   #13
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Thanks Paul for the precision and your awnsers.

The first code I have read on Saturday was 12 ,showed by a long blink and folowed by two short . Not 10 and 2 since 10 do not exsist just like the 20 .

Mentioned earlier in post eleven . . .

" Back to why I have opened this thread . . . What is VERRY STRANGE , and I am telling You all . . . is what the computer gave me .Like I have mentioned in post no 3 .I did not missinterpreted the multiples Codes reading . . . and I can assure You Guys that ,before I erased them I did the reading many,many, many time before I decided to do so ."

Anyway ,I just returned of an 250 miles ride where I managed as much has possible ,to reproduce the same riding behavior I had last Friday and there is NO CODE . I used the two way to extract code when I parked it earlier in my garage ,and nothing . . . none . . . nada . The St behave normally and fuel comsumption is also back to normal all the time .

If I ever get back with code or codes ,i will post back here .

Daniel
Old September 2nd, 2015   #14
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I guess I missed post 11, or did not read it close enough. Sorry

The #1 Injector code (12) did not seem "correct" because if I read the code list correctly the bike will not start with that code.

Good to hear it runs normally with no codes now.

MIL Hiccup award for the first to have a new problem.

We can now turn the matter over to the Doom & Gloom chief for a in-depth look at what went wrong and how he can warn others of impending disaster.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; September 2nd, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015   #15
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Daniel, I am sorry if it seemed as though we doubted you or did not think this really happened to you. I was unable to make any sense of the code numbers you were quoting. Even after Paul deciphered them I was still unsure of what I was reading.

I also find it odd that you were unable to extract those codes by simply dropping the kickstand. That makes no sense either.

I hope that this is the last we hear of this issue and that your ST continues to run flawlessly for many more years.
Old September 3rd, 2015   #16
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
I guess I missed post 11, or did not read it close enough. Sorry

The #1 Injector code (12) did not seem "correct" because if I read the code list correctly the bike will not start with that code.

Good to hear it runs normally with no codes now.

MIL Hiccup award for the first to have a new problem.

We can now turn the matter over to the Doom & Gloom chief for a in-depth look at what went wrong and how he can warn others of impending disaster.

Paul
This is excactly why I opened this Thread . . . it is a verry good example of possible ECU Freegame and Mill Hiccup . All those codes happenned in less then two minutes .Wath went wrong ,I have no idea . . . but something did happen for sure because the proof is the Fuel economy (see post one )

Going for an other longer ride tomorrow and do not really wish for the problem to come back

Daniel
Old September 3rd, 2015   #17
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Daniel, I am sorry if it seemed as though we doubted you or did not think this really happened to you. I was unable to make any sense of the code numbers you were quoting. Even after Paul deciphered them I was still unsure of what I was reading.
No harm done ,Andrew . . . my French language origin do not make verry good Inglish .I know I am hard to be understand and it is the main reason why I do not post to often

Quote:
I also find it odd that you were unable to extract those codes by simply dropping the kickstand. That makes no sense either.
The awnser is in post 1 . . . I did this two or three time :
" As I was following and going downhill at that moment ,I did not stop to reset the computer but choosed instead to pull the clutch while still riding and turned ignition switch to off for a while and then restarted the engine .The FI ligth went off has soon the engine runned "

At the next stop ,I did tried it ,but they where already stored in the ECU memory because of the reset I did while riding.No way I was going to stop or bring the side stand down in those curvy montain road at the speed We where riding . . .it was time for fun ,not for trouble

I
Quote:
hope that this is the last we hear of this issue and that your ST continues to run flawlessly for many more years.
Thanks for those good words

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; September 3rd, 2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2015   #18
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Daniel, I am well aware of your French to English translation so I ignore that. I always enjoy reading what you post and refuse to let a language barrier interfere with my enjoyment of your wisdom.

As I re-read the information I realize that the fault was mine. The information was plainly there, I just failed to read and comprehend as well as I should.

I apologize for that as well as any misunderstanding.

Good luck with your issues, I hope that it has gone away never to return.

Good luck, good riding.
Old September 3rd, 2015   #19
chaissos
Donators

Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but I too just ignore the parts where translation seems difficult. If it's really too hard to understand, I simply ask for clarification. The rest, no problem.

Don't let the language differences stop you. It's only the ignorant that don't "get it". The rest of us do.
Old September 4th, 2015   #20
ibike2havefun

Daniel, I enjoy your posts and encourage you to keep them coming.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote