ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old August 31st, 2015   #1
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Exclamation FI (MIL) multiple codes reading . . .

Last Friday,a Friend and I where riding on a day long loop on curvy montains roads at substained raisonable speed in QC , NH and VT

Later in the afternoon ,whe stopped for a 15 minutes break .Rigth after we had retaken the road , sudently ,my ST FI (MIL) light came and stayed "ON" for a while .The engine behavior did not show any sign at all of a problem of some sort , but the fuel consumption average showed that the ECU had switched to a safe maping mode ,showing aproximatly a 20 percent increase .As I was following and going downhill at that moment ,I did not stop to reset the computer but choosed instead to pull the clutch while still riding and turned ignition switch to off for a while and then restarted the engine .The FI ligth went off has soon the engine runned and later on , the fuel consumption was greater like before or acted normal also sometime

Got home aproximatly 100 miles later and parked the ST in the garage right off, since Friend and I where going to have a refresment together before himself get home also ,thinking to myself that anyway , this could wait until the next day

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015   #2
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: FI (MIL) multiple codes reading . . .

Did you pull the codes? (key on, ignition on, sidestand down)
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015   #3
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

The next day after a good night sleep ,I went back to my ST in the garage ,took the Corbin Smuggler off and connected together the two wires in the diagnostic plug to see if there is a recorded code .After I turned the igition switch to on ,the ECU started to talk an to my stupefaction, counting the long and short blink gave me a list of multiple codes . . . 12 + 9 + 26

Took the shop manual out of the tool box and after futher investigation and readind about ECU codes readings again and again , I got all mix up because the shop manual clearly indicate that the ECU is suppose to give the code in order starting with the lowest number .So what is that first long extraterestrial blink doing there ,is he in fact a 10 ,giving this . . . 10 + 2 + 9 + 26 .Again, according to the shop manual ,it aint right neither because their is no 10 and 20 in the list, so may be I was misinterpreting the first one even he is clearly a long blink , so then it would be codes 1 + 2 + 9 + 26

On top of this , according to those all possibles differents codes ,some of them described in to the shop manual would have as a final result of " engine not starting " .The shop manual is a 2004 . After I did the erasing of the codes in the ECU as per description procedure in the shop manual ,I pushed the starter switch of Cheapette ,my + 222,000 KLM ST engine started like it always do and acted like there is nothing wrong . . . it ran fine and got to is normal operating temperature just has it is all bull shitt

Wath the Fu . . , next ride will maybe bring my ST 's Ecu out of is temporary alzheimer

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; September 2nd, 2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old August 31st, 2015   #4
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
Did you pull the codes? (key on, ignition on, sidestand down)
Jeff ,I did try twice this procedure Friday , after I parked the bike in the garage at home but nothing came out .Light came on and went right off like it always do.

Daniel
Old August 31st, 2015   #5
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Okay, I am confused but my math is not good.

Let's try this again.

If, I say IF you have a code 26, you can duplicate this by running the engine above 3900 RPM for at least 10 seconds. That will throw the code.

When the FI light is on, with the engine still running and the transmission in neutral, put the kickstand down. Then the FI light should start flashing. It will repeat its sequence until you shut things down.

Code 26 is a right knock sensor code. It could be the connector has corroded, broken down due to the heat of the header that is RIGHTNEXTTOIT, or the wire is damaged.

The other option is that the ECU is bad. I have a thread on this here somewhere, but first you have to verify a code and count the flashes.
Old August 31st, 2015   #6
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Well code 2 is the MAP sensor which is usually not the sensor itself but a plugged 5-way Tee. 9 is I believe the IAT sensor. Did you have that sensor unplugged, possibly if the airbox was opened? If so and you turned on the key, even momentarily it will set a code.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015   #7
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 122 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

I really don't think Daniel has counted the code correctly yet. Long blinks are factors of 10. Short blinks are factors of 1. so two long blinks is 2 x 10 = 20. Followed by 6 short blinks is 6 x 1 = 6. And thus we get 26. IF Daniels code IS 26, then it is the right anti-knock sensor. Yes, you do have to run the engine above 3,900 revs for a short period to trigger this particular code. So Daniel, try recounting the code once the FI light has triggered again. Leave the engine running, put the side stand down and count the long blinks followed by the short blinks.

The anti knock sensor thread is here:

http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread....i+knock+sensor
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS

Last edited by DickPeake; September 1st, 2015 at 01:49 AM.
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015   #8
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Do not be so greedy Dick. You act like a moderator or something!

Actually, there are at least three threads here about code 26, and one of them is mine. I had somewhat different results than Dick so I had to spend more money.

My thread is a comedy of errors but if you can get through it without wanting to ride down here to strangle me there is good info there.

First, we NEED an accurate count of long and short blinks to diagnose. Until then we are only here for support, hugs, and shoulders to cry on.
Old September 1st, 2015   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Do not be so greedy Dick. You act like a moderator or something!

Actually, there are at least three threads here about code 26, and one of them is mine. I had somewhat different results than Dick so I had to spend more money.

My thread is a comedy of errors but if you can get through it without wanting to ride down here to strangle me there is good info there.

First, we NEED an accurate count of long and short blinks to diagnose. Until then we are only here for support, hugs, and shoulders to cry on.
You are such a charmer.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015   #10
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
First, we NEED an accurate account to diagnose. Until then we are only here for support, hugs, and shoulders to cry on.
With the slight alteration this could be a site motto.