ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old July 2nd, 2015   #21
Wally Schauer

Default Re: Ignition problem?

Just a thought, but is it possible this is caused by the "tip over" kill switch. I'm thinking that because it is happening at a certain RPM range and seems to kill all ignition power that engine vibration could cause the switch to act erratic, (lose good contact at a certain point).
It seems like I had heard of this happening on some brand of bike in the past, just don't remember which one.
Wally Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015   #22
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Schauer View Post
Just a thought, but is it possible this is caused by the "tip over" kill switch. I'm thinking that because it is happening at a certain RPM range and seems to kill all ignition power that engine vibration could cause the switch to act erratic, (lose good contact at a certain point).
It seems like I had heard of this happening on some brand of bike in the past, just don't remember which one.
Mmmm, well it looks like you are getting into this sort of territory now, Is the restarting immediate and always? I'm just wondering if you are actually getting the bike to totally cut out then effectively jump starting it. Have you noticed the Fi light on at all?
Old July 2nd, 2015   #23
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Mmmm, well it looks like you are getting into this sort of territory now, Is the restarting immediate and always? I'm just wondering if you are actually getting the bike to totally cut out then effectively jump starting it. Have you noticed the Fi light on at all?
No FI lights at all. Re-starting doesn't really apply as this is happening at 4250 RPM on the road so the engine is always running. It will also misfire in neutral in my garage, revving the engine to 4250 RPM and moving the throttle around ever so slightly whilst trying to hold that RPM. The engine never stalls though. The engine has to be good and warm before it starts happening.

I can make the tach drop and kill the engine with the kill switch while on the road but that also causes the FI light to come on momentarily while the system re-initializes, as though you've turned it off (which I have essentially). That never happens when it stumbles / misfires.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; July 2nd, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015   #24
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Schauer View Post
Thought about that, because if it's location, the tip over switch stays pretty cool so I'm having a tough time associating the requirement that the engine has to be fully warmed up for this to happen. Had my hand up in there wiggling the ignition switch and tip sensor wires. It stays pretty cool in there, even with the bike stationary and there's no noticeably sensitivity to tugging or flexing the wires.

I just want to say thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming!
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Old July 2nd, 2015   #25
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Did you drain and flush the lower tank, or inspect the interior?
I have not. I will have an opportunity if I decide to replace the pump however.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Old July 2nd, 2015   #26
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
I can make the tach drop and kill the engine with the kill switch while on the road but that also causes the FI light to come on momentarily while the system re-initializes, .
Yes but what I wondered is if you flip the switch on/off/on instantly can you see the Fi light coming on, I have noticed when I jump on mine in a rush, key in, on, and hit the starter the Fi light doesn't come on when the starter is turning, I wondered if you are actually loosing all electric power momentarily.
Old July 2nd, 2015   #27
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Yes but what I wondered is if you flip the switch on/off/on instantly can you see the Fi light coming on, I have noticed when I jump on mine in a rush, key in, on, and hit the starter the Fi light doesn't come on when the starter is turning, I wondered if you are actually loosing all electric power momentarily.
Yes, if I flip the kill switch off, then on as quickly as I can, the FI light illuminates momentarily every time. Of course I am not using the starter because the engine is running. The FI light does not come on when the missing and stumbling is occurring.

I don't think I'm loosing all electric power. The clock has not suffered any re-set events and my Datel voltmeter holds steady when the stumbling occurs.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Old July 6th, 2015   #28
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Ignition problem?

I understand that the crankshaft position sensor on the ST1300 is essentially equivalent to what's called an igniter in the Honda car world. The Honda parts fiche describes it as a pulse generator. I went ahead and googled "faulty Honda igniter symptoms", leaving off the "ST1300" part, and found some interesting posts that described three of the four symptoms / factors I am having, i.e. a requirement for some heat, the engine misfiring, hesitation and cutting out, and interestingly enough, the tachometer dropping to zero! The only thing missing was the specific RPM bit. In some cases there were no associated error codes.

I was out of town this weekend so haven't had a chance to test mine, though I doubt I'll find it out of spec based on the set of specific circumstances required for the faults to appear, I've ordered a used replacement off of eBay for ~$14 that came off the same year ST1300 with only 18K on it. Should be here by the end of the week. wish me luck!
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Last edited by Wjbertrand; July 6th, 2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old July 6th, 2015   #29
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 151 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Hoping for the best result.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015   #30
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Latest Update:

I so wanted to report that it was fixed today, but, alas, it's not. Measures I've taken since my last update are; replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Initially I thought this had fixed it because I could not get it to misfire in the garage. Out on the road with about 15 miles riding, I sensed a mild misfire, again still at the 4200 - 4250 RPM spot, but it was much less severe and more intermittent. Before that I tried disconnecting the O2 sensors, clearing the ECM with a battery disconnect and then running it that way. Of course this set a error code but the bike ran fine except it was still misfiring. I slapped the faring back on and rode her to work this morning and the very mild misfire was still there until I got 30 - 35 miles into my 46 mile commute where the misfire reared it's ugly, nasty, stinkin' head again and got really bad - like riding a bucking bronco anywhere around that sensitive RPM. It was cooler this morning so that may have delayed the issue. I also had a full tank of fuel and it seemed like the problem really appeared after a couple miles of lane splitting at low speed.

So changing the crank position sensor is the first attempted repair that seemed to make any difference in the bikes behavior at all. Ultimately it is obviously not the solution but maybe there's a clue there.

The only thing left to try is the fuel pump but I'm really confused why it would act up at a specific RPM, under light to no throttle, and affect the tachometer.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200