ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old May 31st, 2015   #1
ibike2havefun

Default Reverting to stock exhaust - anythingI need to know?

Hi-

My bike came with Staintune exhausts installed by the original owner. I was not offered the OEM cans.

There'an OEM set for sale on another forum that is priced very attractively; is there anything else I might need to get in order to swap back? I'd hate to get a couple hundred bucks into it and find that in addition to the exhausts themselves I needed a raft of other parts for potentially big dollars.

I wouldn't really be interested at all except for the fact that my most excellent neighbors have ALL commented about hearing me leave for work in the mornings, even though I have delayed "switch on" and engine start until the actual moment I am ready to leave the curb in front of my house. The neighbors are way too good to us to be hacking them off over motorcycle noise, even though I really love the throaty burble the bike makes in its present condition.

Thanks!
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015   #2
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: Reverting to stock exhaust - anythingI need to know?

Really? Even with the Staintunes, I've not seen that much noise generated.

Borrow a buddy's Hardley for a day or two. They'll be SO happy to have an ST around again.
Old June 1st, 2015   #3
Mick
Loquacious Member

Good for you for being considerate of your neighbors!

Just a thought but are the sound restrictor plugs missing from your Staintunes?

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015   #4
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Only thing I can think you would need are some new seals there where the pipes slip into the collector. How much do you want for the StayinTunes?
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; June 1st, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015   #5
ibike2havefun

Hi-

@Mick: yes I think they might be. The ends of the mufflers are pretty well wide open-- will post a photo when I get home.

Being unfamiliar with them I don't know what they are "supposed" to look like out of the box. I'll do some Googling to find out if I can get just the plugs; in the meantime does anyone already have that answer ready to hand and care to share?

@Jeff: $1,000,000 would do it, and I'd even cover the shipping 'cause I'm that kind of guy. Seriously, I'm still just in the looking-at-options phase and am far from the point where I'd be thinking about selling them. Not even sure I will make the change, especially if Mick's question leads me to a compromise that the neighbors can live with, without my ditching the Staintunes.

Old June 1st, 2015   #6
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
Hi-

@Mick: yes I think they might be. The ends of the mufflers are pretty well wide open-- will post a photo when I get home.

Being unfamiliar with them I don't know what they are "supposed" to look like out of the box. I'll do some Googling to find out if I can get just the plugs; in the meantime does anyone already have that answer ready to hand and care to share?

@Jeff: $1,000,000 would do it, and I'd even cover the shipping 'cause I'm that kind of guy. Seriously, I'm still just in the looking-at-options phase and am far from the point where I'd be thinking about selling them. Not even sure I will make the change, especially if Mick's question leads me to a compromise that the neighbors can live with, without my ditching the Staintunes.
See THIS site:

"The Australian made 100% Stainless Steel Staintune is the ONLY aftermarket exhaust on the market that features a removable sound restrictor. This allows you to adjust the sound levels to your liking.The 2 piece ST13 Staintune comes in SS Oval only."

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015   #7
Blue One

Honestly, removing the Staintunes would be a mistake.
I love mine and with the small baffles shown above installed they are very nice in tone, a nice deep growl and not too noisy at idle.

Changing back to stock exhaust is a move in the wrong direction.
The stock pipes are restrictive and run very hot with the catalytic converters in them.

The tunes are much cooler running.

The Staintunes are lighter than the stock exhaust by about 12 pounds so there is that too.

There are people who will tell you that the Staintune system will not yield any extra power, however I say they do.
I experienced a small seat of the pants feel of increased power on my 04 (which was already extremely fast by the way )

Last edited by Blue One; June 1st, 2015 at 09:25 PM.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015   #8
ibike2havefun

Hi-

@BlueOne: thanks. I'm not worried one way or the other about added or lost ponies- my riding style and habits are, shall we say, "rather relaxed". But the cool running is a nice feature- I've noticed that on many occasions when I'm parking and covering the bike after work. Also, lighter is better.

@Mick: thanks for the tip on where to find the restrictors. As the attached photo clearly shows, I don't currently have them now but will very soon. (Side note: I emailed Pirate's Lair after 9 p.m. Eastern time last night and had a reply from The Man HisOwnSelf in two hours. )

@Jeff: if the check is already in the mail don't cancel it. If not, hang on to your cash for the moment- I'm going to try the sound restrictors first and see whether they're enough to keep the peace on the court.

I will say again that I do love the sound at idle- it reminds me of a powerful boat running at idle and burbling its exhaust into the water. Hope I don't lose that with the restrictors, just that it gets dialed back a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150602_051113_cropped.jpg (72.2 KB, 88 views)

Old June 6th, 2015   #9
ibike2havefun

The deed is done, but not the reversion to stock. Instead, I elected to start with the less-expensive and less drastic Staintune sound restrictor inserts. They arrived (and were actually shipped before I had paid for them- can't say enough good things about Pirate's Lair's service...) and were installed yesterday and a brief sound check validates that they are indeed quieter.

Have yet to know whether they will be quiet *enough* to re-establish Peace In Our Court but at least I can demonstrate that I made the good-faith effort.

Old June 8th, 2015   #10
echo

I have an extensive vegatable garden that the neighbors get most of. One of our neighbors where I grew up did the same thing. Thats where I got the idea from. It promotes peaceful co existance to an amazing degree! There nary a peep from them about my motorcycles coming and going at all hours of the night, and much else besides.

Ah but now I will be accused of trolling again!