ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old September 12th, 2012   #1
Luiggi ST
Donators

Exclamation poor performance in my 03

Hello guys,

A couple of weeks ago took ST for a spin, first thing I noticed was that once engine reached idle level, the tachometer was very erratic going between 500 to 800 RPMs when normally it would be in the 1000 mark.

I thought it was nothing to worry about (probably still recovering from the hang over of the night before ), so there, I started riding and found that engine was not responding as usual, it lacked that punch, pulled over and did reved the throttle few times and heard this low faded prrr sound (haha you understand..I hope!), .also I noticed that going at 3000 RPMs ( at any speed ) the engine would feel unresponsive.

I hope my rudimentary English can give you a hint of what it could be.

I am planning taking the bike with the mechanic to do some valve measurement and change spark plugs, I expect this should cure my problem, but it may be something else that I am overlooking.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Saludos!!
Luis
Luiggi ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: poor performance in my 03

I have no idea, but please keep us posted. Good luck!
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012   #3
Poppi
Donators

Sounds like you could have gotten some bad gas. If you can get "Seafoam" additive where you are, try it. Add 1 oz. per gallon of gas and run that for awhile. It will absorb water in your gas and clean your injectors.

Let us know what finally solves the problem.

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012   #4
drewactual

+1 bad gas... seafoam is an item I love- not as an additive to gas, but instead fed directly into the intake.. I love startron or stabil in this case, but what I love most is simply pulling the fuel line and draining.. it's a heckuva lot easier on these bikes than it is on a car/truck..

another something I would look at is oxygen sensor.. that item plays the primary role in fuel trim.. BUT- it doesn't do so from a cold start.. it takes a few minutes to come online- if you're experiencing this from cold start, it's likely not a o2 sensor..

when is the last time you cleaned your throttle body? idle air control gets gummed up, which affects idle tremendously.. but- you said all the way to 3k revs, and a low hum?

check your exhaust pipes for obstruction...
Old September 13th, 2012   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Also check your air filter. If it has gotten really dirty or the air inlets have gotten blocked, that can effect your power.

My old ST1100's air intake got blocked intermittantly by a nylon strap that I left on the fuel tank under the tank cover. It would run fine until I gave it a lot of throttle and then the nylon strap would get sucked up against the intake and I would lose power.

THAT was a hard one to diagnose, let me tell ya. ;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012   #6
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Are you seeing the FI malfunction light come on? Any kind of sensor problem would illuminate the FI light. The other thought is a plugged up 5-way vacuum Tee. This has been an issue with a number of ST1300s and can cause some of the symptoms you describe. Sometimes this will also cause a MAP sensor error (2 blinks).
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012   #7
Luiggi ST
Donators

Thanks guys, your input is very valuable!!

I'm not seeing no blinking lights or anything weird, after turning the key and the bike does the self diagnose, everything goes normal on the dashboard.

Took the bike today with Seņor Mechanic (you have to show respect with those that touch your bike here ), anyway, he will clean and inspect the air filter, will do the same with the spark plugs, and will "laboratory clean" the injectors, according with him, you can get access to those via the air filter housing.....mmmhh it does sound a bit rubbish but who knows?? have you ever heard of such thing and doing something like that, I mean removing the injectors is that easy??

He's gonna call me Monday to let me know his findings, hopefully everything will be fine, I will keep you posted.

BTW, do you recommend the K&N air filter if I have to replace the existing one?? it is a lot of pesos and want to make sure it it's worth getting one.

Saludos and Gracias!!
Luis
Luiggi ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012   #8
chaissos
Donators

I'm not sure how much they are for this bike, but injectors tend to be expensive if you try to replace them. They can be cleaned, though, and most shops have a kit they use that goes into the fuel system, and will also clean the top end of the motor. Rough running is one of the signs they use to decide whether or not the injectors *might* need a cleaning.

For filters, I've found over the years that those who replace stock filters with K&N's suffer from lack of cleaning, or improper cleaning. It's not too difficult to do, however, it still has to be done at regular intervals, and once you clean the filter, restoring it to is like-new color with the oil required tends to be overdone or underdone. That leads to excessive oil in the fuel system, or even less air through the filter, which can lower your mileage. If done right, K&N's can last a good long while, and treat your motor very nicely. The main problem is they're rarely done right.

My .02.
Old September 14th, 2012   #9
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I had a K&N Air Filter on my ST1100 but, I haven't done that for my ST1300.

It seemed to work ok on the ST1100 for about 100,000 miles. I sold the bike after that so, I couldn't tell you how it worked past that.

However, I've read about some concerns over time using the K&N system. Some say that it allows larger dust particles in that eventually will mar your cylinders.

That's why I decided not to go that route with my ST1300. Plus, I did the Air Box mod which requires a modified air filter.

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiggi ST View Post
<snip>

BTW, do you recommend the K&N air filter if I have to replace the existing one?? it is a lot of pesos and want to make sure it it's worth getting one.

Saludos and Gracias!!
Luis
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012   #10
Poppi
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I had a K&N Air Filter on my ST1100 but, I haven't done that for my ST1300.

It seemed to work ok on the ST1100 for about 100,000 miles. I sold the bike after that so, I couldn't tell you how it worked past that.

However, I've read about some concerns over time using the K&N system. Some say that it allows larger dust particles in that eventually will mar your cylinders.

That's why I decided not to go that route with my ST1300. Plus, I did the Air Box mod which requires a modified air filter.

Regards,

Joe

Can you tell us more about the "Air Box Mod"? I haven't heard of that.

Thanks,

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote