ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1100 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1100.

Old March 6th, 2015   #31
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2015 fjr

My buddy just traded his XR1200X and his Moto Guzzi Stelvio for a '14 Fjr.
No local dealer for the Guzzi, in Las Vegas, NV.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; March 7th, 2015 at 09:58 AM.
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #32
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by downn2 View Post
What scared me away from the ST and towards the FJR were 2 things which I don't think either were true,,,I didn't know though, you tell me...One was a big issue with HEAT with the ST and being in Dallas Tx were it's 150 dg in the sun, that's a big deal, and then there was the power issue, as I was lead to believe the ST had been radically detuned to appease the touring crowd, as they are more concerned about MPG than speed, thus didn't have the power one would associate with a typical 1300cc sport bike.

Any truth to either ?

Yes in hot conditions (95+) there is considerable heat coming from the fairing on your legs. The good news is there are mods to take care of this. Do a search and ask question of the list.

I wouldnt say the ST13 gets great mpg. My St11 averaged 47 mpg @ 85 indicated and the ST13 MAYBE 42. With the windshield UP its less max mpg is with windshield DOWN.

Either bike has all the hp you can reasonably put on the pavement in my opinion.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #33
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

In my opinion the "heat problem" with the ST was greatly overstated.
Everything from every manufacture today runs hotter than anything manufactured before 2000 due to emissions regulations.
Some went to extraordinary lengths, Harley, to deal with heat but almost without exception heat related issues were a personal tolerance issue. Those that ride with even minimum riding gear found the heat to be greatly exaggerated.

I live in the middle of the great southwestern desert where temperatures routinely are in the triple digits 3 yo 4 months of the year.
I do not have heat issues. I have made NO "modifications".
I do ride with proper gear.

As far as performance I found 120HP to be more than enough to propel me, and my fat ass, to twice and beyond the posted speed limit and have no problem keeping up with any and all the current Sport Touring offerings.
Speeds in excess of 75mph will use up fuel I really don't care what your riding or who made it. With the front half of the bike encased in plastic and equipped with nothing smaller than a barn door sized windshield so popular with the car driver trying his hand at motorcycle riding it is little wonder it uses fuel.
I consistently average upper 40's to lower 50's at the posted speed limit.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #34
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
1)From what I read , it appears Yamaha putting a single counter balance in an inline 4 is the culprit, thus the motors aren't uniformly balanced,RIDE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT ! Be sure to spend a time doing 70-80 mph checking for it..

2)But don't kid yourself, it's not a Honda as you quickly notice the paint is not the quality as on Hondas, the fit of the body panels are not the same you find on Hondas (which are perfect) and there's a reason for it as Yamaha's are basically the cheapest bike out there...
Quote:
3)What scared me away from the ST and towards the FJR were 2 things which I don't think either were true,,,I didn't know though, you tell me...One was a big issue with HEAT with the ST and being in Dallas Tx were it's 150 dg in the sun, that's a big deal, and then there was the power issue, as I was lead to believe the ST had been radically detuned to appease the touring crowd, as they are more concerned about MPG than speed, thus didn't have the power one would associate with a typical 1300cc sport bike.

Any truth to either ?
I am having a hard time figuring out if you are just a troll or if you actually believe what you are typing here.

To address your post by the numbered points:

1)The FJR is not "unbalanced". I find them to be very smooth for an inline four and the majority of folks who have ridden them agree with me. I suppose it is possible you got a bad one but the vibration you are describing is simply not present in any of the FJRs I have ridden or dealt with personally.

2)The paint on the Yamaha FJR is of exceptional beauty and depth. As much as I love the ST1300, the paint will never shine like the FJR paint. I polished, waxed, buffed, performed sacrifices by moonlight, and never could get the ST1300 to shine like the FJR paint. The fit and finish on the FJR is exactly as good as the ST1300. Neither one is better than the other here.

3)The ST1300 is NOT down on power or as you say "detuned". It puts about 114 HP to the rear tire. It runs the 1/4 mile in 11.48 seconds at 118 mph. It will lift its front tire and run. It is the heaviest of the current crop of big bore sport tourers and also has one of the lowest horsepower ratings. Of course it has not been updated since 2003.

I hope the ST1300 makes you happy, it is a wonderful bike. However, if the FJR was that bad for you I rather doubt that anyone will make a bike that fits your standards.
Old March 6th, 2015   #35
downn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I am having a hard time figuring out if you are just a troll or if you actually believe what you are typing here.

1)The FJR is not "unbalanced". I find them to be very smooth for an inline four and the majority of folks who have ridden them agree with me. I suppose it is possible you got a bad one but the vibration you are describing is simply not present in any of the FJRs I have ridden or dealt with personally.

2)The paint on the Yamaha FJR is of exceptional beauty and depth. As much as I love the ST1300, the paint will never shine like the FJR paint. I polished, waxed, buffed, performed sacrifices by moonlight, and never could get the ST1300 to shine like the FJR paint. The fit and finish on the FJR is exactly as good as the ST1300. Neither one is better than the other here.

3)The ST1300 is NOT down on power or as you say "detuned". It puts about 114 HP to the rear tire. It runs the 1/4 mile in 11.48 seconds at 118 mph. It will lift its front tire and run. It is the heaviest of the current crop of big bore sport tourers and also has one of the lowest horsepower ratings. Of course it has not been updated since 2003.

I hope the ST1300 makes you happy, it is a wonderful bike. However, if the FJR was that bad for you I rather doubt that anyone will make a bike that fits your standards.
Go visit any FJR forum and you'll find all the discussion you want addressing this issue. All I can say is there is a reason why most every FJR you come across has bar end weights, grip puppies, and a Heli Triple Clamp... Maybe Mama Yami has fixed that issue as I heard they did some minor changes to the motor etc back a couple of years ago.... But I don't think an inline 4 can compete with a V4 in these areas regarless.

Admittedly 114HP is pretty lame for the ST's 1300cc motor. The finish and the fit I'm not going to debate as Yami's is probably dang near near Honda as we are comparing one Japanese bike Manf to another, but certainly the European bikes don't come close to either.. I will be definitely giving the 2015 ST a test ride, as I've never ridden one. Looking forward to see how it rides.....I'm thinking with racing exhaust and Power Commander enabling it to be tuned for Max HP I might could get it up to 130 HP ??? You think ?
downn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #36
maura
Super Moderator

Smile Re: 2015 fjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post

Terrific answer, my friend

Both bikes are great bikes. Whatever works for you. IF being able to beat the ST1300 in a drag race is important to you, then by all means go with the FJR, though most riders never come close to utilizing the power of either bike. IF HP is your priority, neither bike then. Look at a Hayabusa.

Hugs and kisses

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #37
downn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
Terrific answer, my friend

Both bikes are great bikes. Whatever works for you. IF being able to beat the ST1300 in a drag race is important to you, then by all means go with the FJR, though most riders never come close to utilizing the power of either bike. IF HP is your priority, neither bike then. Look at a Hayabusa.

Hugs and kisses
Don't kid yourself, the FJR isn't all that quick, my 1983 V65 Magna would blow it away...I'm gonna give that BMW1600GT a ride too...Meanwhile, I sure hope Honda comes out with something along the lines of a 160HP ST. but I'm getting tired of waiting...Otherwise, there's a KTM 1290 Adventurer that looks like a lot o fund too...OH, isn't this fun ..
downn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #38
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Don't kid yourself, the FJR isn't all that quick, my 1983 V65 Magna would blow it away...I'm gonna give that BMW1600GT a ride too.....OH, isn't this fun ..
Uh, no it won't. The V65 was quick for its time but it would not get into the 10 second bracket. The FJR is consistently in the 10.9s at 125 mph. Your V65 probably would not outrun the ST1300, certainly not the FJR.

Please, please, please go try the K1600GT. I am sure they will love you over on the BMW forum.

Oh and FWIW, I spend a great deal of time on the FJRforum. I am very familiar with all the complaints of the FJR. You remind me of a couple folks who were eventually shamed enough to go away.

Yeah, it is fun all right. I feel smarter and smarter every time I read another of your posts.
Old March 6th, 2015   #39
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

2015 ST?

Didn't we skip through 11,13,and 14.
Hello CTX.
Do we expect a 2015 model?

Not holding my breath.
Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #40
Redfish
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
2015 ST?

Didn't we skip through 11,13,and 14.
Hello CTX.
Do we expect a 2015 model?

Not holding my breath.
Paul
He is just trolling. If he were serious about any of this he would already know there was no 2015 model.

So...