ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Tank Bags, Top Cases, Luggage & Racks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2013   #21
Jantarek
Member
 
Jantarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 0 Jantarek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

haha

Thanks guys
Jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013   #22
maura
Super Moderator
 
maura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,431
Rep Power: 125 maura will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
You guys do much Anodizing?
A question.
Why is some Anodizing so susceptible to sun fade?
Poor surface preparation?

I do some powder coating. The end result is all about preparation.
Just wondering.

Paul

Aluminum anodizing (using the anodizing process to apply a uniform layer of aluminum oxide to the surface of aluminum) is harder than aluminum, but has poor wear resistance because though strong and well-adhered to the aluminum, it is brittle. This makes it ideal for things like windows, that are not subject to much handling or movement, but problematic for motorcycles where such wear is to be expected.

The anodized surface is porous. This is a good thing when one is hoping to colour the surface, it allows colouring agents to be applied, but a bad thing in that it invites deterioration.

Since anodizing occurs when an electrical current is passed through an acid bath to the aluminum, it is not so much about traditional surface preparation as it is in paint and powder coating, hard to beat a bath of sulfuric acid as a surface preparation, but the temperature, concentration , and condition of the acid bath effect the anodizing and how well it will stand up over time.
__________________
-------===|||===-------




2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013   #23
horst
Senior Member
 
horst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 199
Rep Power: 0 horst can only hope to improve
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

nice rack ....

hey what's the w/s you are using - looks really cool !

.....
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013   #24
ligito
Donators
 
ligito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 4,038
Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
Aluminum anodizing (using the anodizing process to apply a uniform layer of aluminum oxide to the surface of aluminum) is harder than aluminum, but has poor wear resistance because though strong and well-adhered to the aluminum, it is brittle. This makes it ideal for things like windows, that are not subject to much handling or movement, but problematic for motorcycles where such wear is to be expected.

The anodized surface is porous. This is a good thing when one is hoping to colour the surface, it allows colouring agents to be applied, but a bad thing in that it invites deterioration.

Since anodizing occurs when an electrical current is passed through an acid bath to the aluminum, it is not so much about traditional surface preparation as it is in paint and powder coating, hard to beat a bath of sulfuric acid as a surface preparation, but the temperature, concentration , and condition of the acid bath effect the anodizing and how well it will stand up over time.
Maybe Cerakote would be a better choice.
__________________
IBAN Old Fart

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013   #25
4Speed
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 56
Rep Power: 0 4Speed can only hope to improve
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Not criticizing, just concerned. Aren't you exceeding the weight capacity back there? Or do you feel that the rack is reinforcing the structure. It does look great and handy as a back pocket.
Ever seen what they use at the dealers to lift the ST out of the crate?
Yep, the grab handles on the luggage rack. Its right in the assembly manual from honda. So I have a feeling that the weight limit is more CYA driven then strength.
4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013   #26
Jantarek
Member
 
Jantarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 0 Jantarek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horst View Post
nice rack ....

hey what's the w/s you are using - looks really cool !

.....

THANKS

anyway this is a Aeroflow touring windsield, it's nice but very big. I'm sure it will be great for cold weather riding but for now I ordered a Cee Bailey's sport shield, I'm taking off for a almost a month long ride this summer so will see
Jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013   #27
PaulRB
The Grouch
 
PaulRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 2,861
Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

What tint Sport Shield did you order?

If Dark Gray how about a photo of it installed.

Paul
__________________
STOC 3499
Overkill is a often underrated achievement.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013   #28
Jantarek
Member
 
Jantarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 0 Jantarek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Speed View Post
Ever seen what they use at the dealers to lift the ST out of the crate?
Yep, the grab handles on the luggage rack. Its right in the assembly manual from honda. So I have a feeling that the weight limit is more CYA driven then strength.

yea it seams to me like the mouting area is very strong so I have no worries. On my GS the tail area looks way weaker and I had some serious weight on it

see here
Jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013   #29
Jantarek
Member
 
Jantarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 0 Jantarek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
What tint Sport Shield did you order?

If Dark Gray how about a photo of it installed.

Paul

yes it will be the dark gray, as soon as I get it I will post photo
Jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013   #30
Jantarek
Member
 
Jantarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 0 Jantarek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home made rear rack :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
What tint Sport Shield did you order?

If Dark Gray how about a photo of it installed.

Paul

pics are in windshield section
Jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2011 ST1300.US.COM