ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Tank Bags, Top Cases, Luggage & Racks

Old April 26th, 2011   #11
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: Favorite Tank Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampadog View Post
I went for the Joe Manta, small edition. Perfect size for the little extras. Great magnet strength.

Manta review
Second that, I like my Manta just fine. Too small for long trips though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphn0 View Post
Has anyone heard about the bad effects of the Super Strong magnets on tank bags that mess up the GPS memory cards or the memory on the MP3 players??
Ralph
Since those media you mention are not magnetic, there should be no effect. Accidentaly stuck my iPhone to one of the Manta's magnets and it seems no worse for the wear.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011   #12
bygdawg

I LOVE this tank bag:

http://www.aerostich.com/motofizz-map-bag-1.html

It is probably the best tank bag I have ever owned.
bygdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011   #13
TMQ

Any one have any experience with "Engage-XL" Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2625/151/
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011   #14
Deano
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
Any one have any experience with "Engage-XL" Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2625/151/
Brent,
I tried this tankbag and found it could interfere with lockturns. Still functional with lots of room. Have you purchased the tankring yet? If you are interested, I would sell mine. I ended up getting the Daypack II. I will be attending WESTOC in Nelson, BC. We could hookup then?

"Ain't nothing stoppin us now but the leavin' of it all"

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Sold)
2008 ST1300A "Scarlet" (Glory Red is the Fastest)
2008 Kaw C14 (Sold)
2003 ST1300 (RIP)
15 years in No Bike Land
1986 Nighthawk S (sold)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011   #15
TMQ

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Tank Bag

Thank you Deano for the reply.

No, I am didn't know of the Nelson gathering until after I booked another event.

I will be leaving on June 24th from Calgary heading east.

And I appreciate the info.

Brent

Last edited by TMQ; June 6th, 2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: to add info
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011   #16
echo
The sky is falling...

I just bought a Rapid Transit Big City (?) tankbag. For local use it can be used as is but expanded to 12 liters for touring. It has a good map case and outstanding magnets. It aint goin' anywhere thats for sure. It is a "one big compartment" type of bag. I have no use for multiple small compartments with zippers you cant open with gloved fingers quickly. It is as well made as anything I have seen. At $69 its a steal.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013   #17
maura
Super Moderator

Reviving this thread as i have been in the tank bag buying mode.

I was discussing the RKA Pine Flat 13 litre with Richard the R in RKA and he suggested that it would be wholly inappropriate for the ST, due to the shape of the tank, but it would go fine on my V strom.

Tank Bag 1. To my knowledge, Honda never made an accessory tank bag, whereas Yamaha made one for the FJR. I once transported this FJR tankbag for a friend, and was unable to do so in the tank bag location as it was HUGE and just blocked access to everything and interfered with the steering to such a degree I could not ride with it. I strapped it to the back and went merrrrrily on my way.

Tank Bag 2. I made a custom made tank bra bag thing that bore some resemblance to the bagster and some to a Linda Tanner design for a rally book. It consisted of three pouches, two to the sides and one near the seat, with a clipboard in a fabric case velcroed to the flat part of the tank, with a clear window to read the clipboard. Despite my best efforts, carefully measuring etc. the clipboard bag always interfered with the handlebars on full lock. I must have a picture somewhere, still have it . When I am featured on 'hoarders' I am sure it will play a prominent role.

Tank Bag 3 . Now I use a small discontinued marsee tankbag. I keep it as far back as I can, it is touching my body in the front. It is magnetic. If I place it in the 'ideal' tank bag perch it interferes too much with the handlebars on full lock. Still serviceable , but pretty beat up.

Tank Bag 4. Ortleib waterproof from Aerostich. Expensive. Too too big IMHO for either of my bikes , yet I know people who swear by it on the V-strom. Never used , not even once. See 'hoarders' reference under Tank Bag 2.

Tank Bag 5. Bought a very small Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System primarily for the v strom, but bought the honda mount as well. Never installed it because I could not get it to work on both bikes, very different tank profiles. Works on the V-strom. Found the neat mechanism too fiddly, easier to just fling the bag onto the seat when I gas up, but I like the size and shape, so do use it around town.

So watcha got? Who has a tank bag that seems perfect on the ST?

This thread is useless without pics, but that could be my resume.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013   #18
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Honda did make a bag for the ST.
It looked very stylish on the shelf in my closet.
As far as function went it was a total looser.
It was a thee piece setup that strapped down.
Early models 03 &04 had small slots in the plastic by the fairing pockets to strap it down.
It could be separated into three pieces and the center section could(should) be left out. The center section was semi hard.
Hard to separate, hard to strap down, to skinny to carry anything and to tall to see over.
Getting gas could be frustrating, getting gas on the clock forget it.
You tipped it forward if you can imagine that. It tolerated nothing being between the bars and had little tolerance for the bars themselves.
Disaster would be a appropriate description.
Nothing you would want to rally with to be sure.

I use the the middle size Cortech Mini magnetic.
I put a protector over to horn button to silence it's objections.
I have a few different sized Pelicans on the back to carry everything light when "On-Tour".

Paul
Old February 14th, 2013   #19
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I have since switched to a small Chase Harper tank bag but, I did at one time try the European Bagster tank cover and integrated tankbag system.

Basically, they are very well made but, they do not lend themselves to doing maintenance under the top fuel tank.

These two pictures show what they look like but, they're only laying on top of my fuel tank. They weren't strapped down tight.

The nice thing about them is that the tank cover provided a build-in kneepad area and a simple way to clip the tankbag to the tank. Two black plastic "hooks" on the front top of the tankcover allowed you to hook the front of the tankbag to the cover. Then two metal clips near the rear of the cover secured the back part of the bag to the cover.

Very quick connect and disconnect.

The problem was the cover itself. It had to be strapped up under the front triple-tree area and was NOT easy or quick to disconnect. The rear area of the cover was held down by two quick-disconnec straps. If you wanted to work on the bike's inner guts (i.e., under the fuel tank), it was a pain.

But, like I said, it was a well made leather integrated system. It's only available in Europe. I got mine through an ST acquaintence. There are many different tankbag sizes and designs options available and colors.

YMMV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tankcover.jpg (87.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Tankbag.jpg (91.0 KB, 118 views)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013   #20
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Early models 03 &04 had small slots in the plastic by the fairing pockets to strap it down.
My '05 also has these slots. You have to lift the tank at the front slightly to access them.

Tank bags:
  • I used an RKA expandable, strap on one for years but there were three issues with it. One, I could never seem to get the straps to cinch up in a way that held the bag down tight and straight. Over a week's tour it would always find a way to work its way askew. Annoying. The second issue was the lower, fixed compartment was too shallow and had very flimsy sides. Unzipping it without care would result in several things rolling out and onto the ground. Third, the small pen pocket, small items pouches on the inside lid of the lower fixed compartment had no top closures. With the upward slope of the bag when fitted to the bike, all my little stuff would fall out. I will say it has held up well though, it still looks and functions fine after maybe 10+ years use.
  • Currently I am using a Joe magnetic "Manta" bag for 'round town, commuting and short overnighters. No complaints, but it's a small bag and might not carry enough for a week's tour.
  • For touring I bought a Road Gear "Jumbo Sport" tank bag. http://roadgear.com/magnetic-jumbo-sport-tank-p-76.html So far I've only used it on short trips but I like that it has more or less flush side pockets that interfere less with the handlebars (I've not found any large bag that doesn't have some contact at full lock). All of the smaller compartments have some sort of closure and don't require opening the main compartment to access them. It's not a bad buy at $149.99 but I got it at the Long Beach show on special for $100.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote