ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Tank Bags, Top Cases, Luggage & Racks

Old April 26th, 2011   #21
ralphn0
Donators

Default Re: Honda Trunk or after-market?

Glen,
I don't know what size helmets you put into the Honda bag but I'm lucky to get One to fit!! I've tried Schuberth C-3, HJC Symax II, Noland 103, Schoei, Shark Evoline, and Caberg. I have to put my helmet in on it's side. The Honda looks pretty but it's not as practical as the other bags. Now, I have to look at things from a more practical point of view.
Ralph
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011   #22
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 126 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

I have 4 different helmets and each one will fit into a saddlebag or the top box, but I only have a medium head. A friend has a huge head and only Shoei seem to do a hemet that fits him but I can get his helmet into the topbox although it is marginal. Incidentally, Givi make the HondaLine case
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS

Last edited by DickPeake; April 26th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011   #23
ralphn0
Donators

I wore XL in the first 4 helmets and medium in the last 2. A person at the International Cycle Show measured my head and said I should wear a medium use the cheek pads (thinner) that go in the XL. That made a huge difference. Unfortunately both cheeks are too fat. I found that not all mfgs make interchangeable cheek pads because the shell may be different. The Schuberth didn't fit in the Top bag and just bearly in the side bag. I didn't try fitting any of the helmets in the Honda top bag with out the carpet floor liner. Don't know if that might make a difference.
Ralph
Old April 27th, 2011   #24
West Aussie Glen
Donators

Rep Power: 0 West Aussie Glen has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphn0 View Post
Glen,
I don't know what size helmets you put into the Honda bag but I'm lucky to get One to fit!! I've tried Schuberth C-3, HJC Symax II, Noland 103, Schoei, Shark Evoline, and Caberg. I have to put my helmet in on it's side. The Honda looks pretty but it's not as practical as the other bags. Now, I have to look at things from a more practical point of view.
Ralph
Ralph,
I don't think my head is small and I am fairly sure I did a test run before posting. I am currently at Paris airport on my way to Chicago so I will not be home for over a week. I will check helmet size and fit when I get home. I would not like to think I misled anybody.
West Aussie Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011   #25
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I have Schuberth C2, HJC CLmax and Zero-Seven-Zero modular helmets that all fit in the Hondaline topbox but have to be on their side and positioned just right, or the lid won't close.

It is a tight fit and I always have to move my excess junk out of the way, first.

I, personally like the looks of the Hondaline and not the Givi.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; April 30th, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011   #26
rodm850g

Thumbs up Re: Honda Trunk or after-market?

Guys,
I'm suprised that no more of you all have not followed my suit and gotten a VFR top box and mounted it to your ST's. Same size ,way less pricey and other than a slightly different locking mechanism most folks can't tell the difference.While it is NOT a direct fit,I had no problems devising three simple brackets,and mounting that sucker. The only technical difficulties to over come were making sure the main bracket was centered on the mounting plate then the last two brackets to the rear of the plate....With the last couple of color offerings no painting was needed black and silver bags are available and even offered at a discount. All you need order is the matching top box for your color some flat steel stock a set of or access to tap and dies and some time and patience to mount and fit the box....the savings are real no frt fro m UK first and knowing you did it yourself...that's a good feeling.... and no offense to the Givi crowd one of my friends that is ST mounted too has the Givi box..and it has much up and down play when out riding....the Honda bag tends to stay still pretty good ...just add the cushions in the kit....
Rod
Old April 30th, 2011   #27
Catcanski

Got my Bestem 2012 last week, mounted it today. Looks great, good price, $99 total w/ shipping on Ebay. I removed the stock plastic piece that's on the back and made a copy w/ some aluminum diamond plate (that way in case I sell it down the road I can put it back, yeah, like that's gonna happen) and used the four mounting hole on the bike.

Fits well and feels sturdy, however I don't think the wife will appreciate the backrest, or so that's they call it. So, being the tinkering person that I am, I found a really nice office chair that was being tossed due to the pneumatics that raise and lower it being bad, and I removed the really nice headrest and am installing it onto the tail box as the back rest.

I'm not a fan of the brightness of the lights on the back so I'm going to find some 12v bulbs and replace them, I want to be very visible when on the road.
Catcanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011   #28
fboate

I have a GIVI V46 monokey system with backrest and brake light kit. I am very happy with it. It looks great (the color matches the bike perfectly), it's made well and it is easily removable. It really doesn't look aftermarket and I have heard that GIVI makes the Hondaline box. I don't believe you will be disappointed with the GIVI. Good luck!
fboate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011   #29
1naylor

Can we see a pic? I'm curious about this box? Where did you buy it? Straight from Honda?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodm850g View Post
Guys,
I'm suprised that no more of you all have not followed my suit and gotten a VFR top box and mounted it to your ST's. Same size ,way less pricey and other than a slightly different locking mechanism most folks can't tell the difference.While it is NOT a direct fit,I had no problems devising three simple brackets,and mounting that sucker. The only technical difficulties to over come were making sure the main bracket was centered on the mounting plate then the last two brackets to the rear of the plate....With the last couple of color offerings no painting was needed black and silver bags are available and even offered at a discount. All you need order is the matching top box for your color some flat steel stock a set of or access to tap and dies and some time and patience to mount and fit the box....the savings are real no frt fro m UK first and knowing you did it yourself...that's a good feeling.... and no offense to the Givi crowd one of my friends that is ST mounted too has the Givi box..and it has much up and down play when out riding....the Honda bag tends to stay still pretty good ...just add the cushions in the kit....
Rod
1naylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011   #30
ralphn0
Donators

Look at the trunk on www.ridebikegear.com/db-series-motorcycle-trunk-with-led-spoiler-lights-p-200.html That trunk sure does look like a trunk from a Goldwing and with LED lights from Honda Pan European top box. I can't belive the price!!! Am I not reading something??
Ralph

Last edited by ralphn0; May 2nd, 2011 at 02:28 PM.