ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old September 25th, 2017   #1
Guaglio

Default lake superior ride

Hi everyone, so last year my wife (who rides a 950 vstar tourer) and I, decided to take a ride to see our daughters on the east coast ; as luck would have it, life got in the way, not a couple that want to be deterred, we just ended up cutting our route by about 3 thousand miles, and enjoyed the time off any way.
We started off on a Tuesday afternoon after my wife got off work. Leaving the house around 3:00 , we rode about 150 miles to Jay Cooke State park, set up camp, and had dinner.
After dinner, we set up a campfire, had a glass or two of wine (yes, I bring wine in a Nalgene on trips), and toasted the beginning of a two week vacation.
After the fire burned out we turned in just in time to watch a thunderstorm rumble through, and I slept like a baby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170825_072304.jpg (244.4 KB, 50 views)
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017   #2
Guaglio

Default Re: lake superior ride

The next morning we got up, had breakfast, and headed north on state Highway 61, it runs along the northern coast of Lake Superior and it's a beautiful drive/ride. The leaves are still about a week from turning, and the temps were still a bit warm,so we didn't get any pictures of the fall colors. We rode up to the small town of Tofte, had lunch, and continued on to Grand Marais.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170920_142747.jpg (123.2 KB, 48 views)
Old September 25th, 2017   #3
Guaglio

After a small self guided tour (just a walk around) we saddled up and headed north to the Canadian border.
Arriving at the border, we were given the requisite painful interview (before you go getting offended, I'm kidding ), and allowed to proceed. Our first stop was in Thunder Bay. We walked around, had dinner, stayed over night; and left early the next morning after breakfast.

Having an Italian background, espresso is part of the blood that courses through my veins. We were headed to the small town of Wawa Canada, and after riding for a couple hours, I was feeling a caffeine deficit, and we needed gas.
After a quick espresso, and snack, with tanks and bellies full, we headed off again, until we got to our lunch stop in Terrace Bay.
As is evident by the picture, the lake was fogged in, and riding was dicey until about 11:30 in the morning, when we had to shed a layer, and the temp rose for a high of 85 for the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170921_124611.jpg (32.5 KB, 47 views)
Old September 25th, 2017   #4
Guaglio

On the way to Wawa, there's a sign about a waterfall not far from the Lake Superior shoreline, after lunch we were halfway to Wawa when we saw it, and decided to check it out. As many of you know, if the wife decides she wants to go somewhere....you just go, especially if it enhances your experience .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170921_140418.jpg (124.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20170921_140347.jpg (87.9 KB, 40 views)
Old September 25th, 2017   #5
Guaglio

After the requisite oohs, and ahh's, of the falls, we moved onto the business of getting to our campsite at the Wawa rv campground. We made dinner, and drank the bottle of wine we had bought in Terrace Bay. We enjoyed another campfire, and headed off to bed after finishing up our beverages. The stars were out making very comfortable, and part of the milky way was visible.
Knowing that the next days ride was going to be a long one, and having to go through customs again had us turning in early.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170921_211610.jpg (47.1 KB, 38 views)
Old September 25th, 2017   #6
Guaglio

The next morning had us breaking camp, and making breakfast; we normally just make oatmeal, have some coffee, and the obligatory espresso before we leave, this day was no different.
We rode from Wawa to Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, had lunch then headed for the border crossing. If you've never been over the bridge that takes you from Ontario to Sault Ste Marie Michigan, it's hard to describe! The bridge is massive; my wife, who doesn't like heights hated the whole ride across the bridge , exclaiming when she got to the end "that was horrible", it is high, and long.
After crossing through customs we were on our way to Copper Harbor...or so we thought.

We had made it to a small town just east of Marquette called Newberry , when we stopped for gas. As we were filling up, the clouds started rolling in, and the wind picked up; in less than 10 minutes a frog strangler of a rainstorm ensued, and we took shelter in a local Mcdonalds. We decided that it was getting late , made reservations at a hotel in Marquette, and waited for the worst of the storm to pass before heading out. I don't mind riding in the rain, I do it a lot, but my wife doesn't and I worry about her abilities when it comes time to do something she doesn't feel safe about herself.
We went slowly, and made it just fine to the hotel, it was right on the water, and the room was very nice. The town is just gorgeous, and we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant just up the street from the hotel. The Margheritas were excellent as well. This is a shot looking north on Lake Superior from the hotel at the small bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170922_193257.jpg (124.6 KB, 37 views)
Old September 25th, 2017   #7
Guaglio

The next morning we had the continental breakfast at the hotel, loaded the bikes, checked out, and headed for home. It was going to be over 6 hours riding, and we wanted to get started early since the weather guessers were predicting high 80'school for temps. After leaving Marquette, I again hit my caffeine low light, and after getting gas we stopped at a rest stop to extinguish the light, the chair was too hard to pass up, so we took advantage of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170923_114135.jpg (253.5 KB, 35 views)
Old September 25th, 2017   #8
Guaglio

After the pic was taken, we climbed aboard our reliable steeds, and headed for home. We got back around 5:30, safe and sound. It was a very nice trip, pretty good weather, and beautiful scenery. I love the company I keep, and she's pretty good to me, so after 30+ years, I should probably hang onto her.

Hope you enjoyed the journey as much as we did.
Old September 25th, 2017   #9
ibike2havefun

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017   #10
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Very good report.
I'm glad you enjoyed your ride.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote