ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old May 15th, 2011   #141
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: ST1300 Tire choices and sizes

No, I never did use 50 psi on the radial 880's. On the bias ply 880's on my ST1100, yes. I used to use that.

But, for the radial ME-880's on an ST1300, I used 42 psi.

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphn0 View Post
Joe,
Do you still use 50 psi on the rear 880's? I just noticed that on your chart and that made me wonder. I look forward to reading your report on the Avon Storm Ultra II's. For me the best front tires have been the Z-6's and the PR-2's, ~14,000 mi on each one.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011   #142
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
No, I never did use 50 psi on the radial 880's. On the bias ply 880's on my ST1100, yes. I used to use that.

But, for the radial ME-880's on an ST1300, I used 42 psi.

Regards,

Joe
Me too .

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011   #143
nostromo

Exclamation Re: ST1300 Tire choices and sizes

hello, I need some advice:
st1300 on my newly purchased rode a Bridgestone BT 020 rear and a continental contiroad attak on the front
wanting to change the tires on my bike I go by my trusted seller and I propose the bridgestone bt 021 paid 110 including mounting and balancing ......
Accordingly I mounted the only remaining back on the front with the continental, also said that I have a left side of the front fork oil seals leaking oil, try the bike on the highway and at a speed 'of 120 km / h the steering began to flicker eerily .... decelerates with the rear brake and go 100 km / h all the way home .... what may 'have happened to my bike ???????? back by the seller of the tires and I check the balance of the front wheel, and if deformed and tells me that it's okay is not deformed.
makes balancing the wheel and mount the bike but I feel very light almost I do not trust anymore!
pressure and '2.9 bar rear
2.7 bar on the front
What should I check ??????
I also change the front tire??

Thanks to all
confu sed1
nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #144
v65sabre

has anyone tried the avon storm !! front and rear. I am going to need new tires soon and dont really know which way to go. I do a lot of open road riding , my tires generally wear out in the middle not the sides
v65sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #145
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

The Avon Storm Ultra II's are no longer recommended for the ST1300.

I used to use them and loved them but, then a few people had some blowouts with them and Avon yanked their "recommendation".

I noticed that towards the end of their life, the rear tires' sides wear accelerated and surprised me a couple of times.

I think that is what happened to the people who had blowouts.

It's a pity because while they had tread, they were the best handling tires for the ST1300 that I had found (in my opinion).
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #146
northernrider

I agree with Joe, I had the Avon's front/rear and had a blow out on the rear- the sidewalls are very weak. I am thinking the Avon's were not designed for the weight of an ST and I load mine like a rented mule.
northernrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #147
el jefe

I concur with the previous 2 posts. I was fully loaded riding 2-up coming back from San Antonio going about 80 MPH or so. Every so often, I heard the tires sound like I was on grooved pavement, so I changed speeds. Finally, the tire let go about 100 miles from the house. The steel belts were busted and I had a half-dollar sized hole in the tire. Luckily, I knew what was going on and I got to the shoulder in a hurry. My thoughts are that the sidewalls allow flex rolling down the highway with a heavy load and the tires heat up and fail. When riding by myself and unloaded, I did not have any problems with the Avon Storm 2 on the ST1300. I also had good luck with them on a Triumph Sprint ST, so I think it must be a weight thing. Use the information and act accordingly.
Old March 10th, 2013   #148
Wjbertrand
ST guru

As far as I know Avon never recommended the storms for the ST1300, only for the 1100. I and many others would recommend the Michelin pilot road 3s

-Jeff-
STOC 025
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #149
TimM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
I am tired of the Pilot Road 2s. I think I will try the Avon Storm. Any Avonites out there?
Tried Storm II Ultra F & R: Front shakes, rattles and rolls. And shimmied below 50 mph; not a good fit in my opinion and Avon replaced them with Bridgestone BT023's.

ymmv

Last edited by TimM; March 10th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013   #150
v4forever

My rear Avon blew a dollars size hole with 500 miles on it. Steel belts were showing. I had a passenger and also was pulling a Uni-Go trailer. Switched over to the BT023's as they sounded like the toughest tire out there. Recently, I've been maxing out the ST with weight and have had no problems with these bridgestones
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote