ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old June 22nd, 2015   #21
Garry in AZ

Default Re: Which Tire is Best for 2-Up Riding

Thanks for the support fellas, I need all I can get!
My full name is Garry Springgay, I'm from Gilbert, AZ.

Joe, I did a 48+ and a 10-10ths on a set of PR3's in Sept of '13. I got a bit over 12,000 miles out of that rear. Everything I have read tells me the PR4 GT's will wear even better. I'm hoping that's the case.
Just in case though, I bought a set of used wheels and rebuilt tham last winter. I just mounted a second set of PR4 GT's on them. SHould I need one during the rally, I have them packed and ready to ship, and a buddy will label the box and ship it overnight to where ever I am. I sure hop I don't need to do that however.
Ligito asked for a photo of the bike, I haven't taken any recently, but this is a shot from last fall after the Big Tex Rally.

Garry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST right side.jpg (67.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0025 (Small).jpg (99.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Custom dash (Small).jpg (106.9 KB, 73 views)

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #22
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Gary, you can count me as a member of your fan club. I hope the dues are not too expensive...

I have no intention of trying to change your mind, every situation is different. I easily got 9K miles out of the PR3s, I changed them out prematurely to avoid being "that guy" on my annual Best Trip Ever.

My first experience with the PR4GT was not as spectacular. The rear was causing a strange harmonic vibration by 7K and I changed it out at 9K. It was exactly at the wear bars. To be fair, it had seen two hard trips and I had pushed it harder than normal.

The PR4GT front however was the most impressive front tire I ever ran. It looked brand new (really) with 10K on it when I traded the bike in. The PR4 front always stuck like glue, always was predictable and solid. I would have loved to see how many miles it would have gone.

Good luck with the IBR. I wish I could be there at the finish to greet you.
Old June 22nd, 2015   #23
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Bridgestone lists the 020 as "This is a Non Popular Size" in red letters to boot.

We have all put a "unapproved" tire on at one time or another with mixed results brought on primarily by where and how we ride.
Who all tried the ME880 rear, or the shit Z series either end.

Pick a tire your comfortable with and you will find out in short order if you made the right decision. You either slip and slide or your cords stick out.
Stick with the proper weight codes and remember you are on the heaviest bike with the narrowest wheels in Sport Touring.
It's a motorcycle not a car.

Tires are the perfect example of Your Mileage May Vary.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #24
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Excellent post Mr. Paul, excellent.

I never did understand why Honda chose to go with such oddball sizes on this motorcycle. I never, ever just bought a set of tires locally. I always had to order them.
Old June 22nd, 2015   #25
v4forever

Thumbs up Re: Which Tire is Best for 2-Up Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB
Tires are the perfect example of Your Mileage May Vary
+1
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015   #26
horst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjsfoster View Post
... Metzler Z6 which I've had and liked. Just had the Metzler Z8 which wore out way too fast and developed a flat center after a few thousand miles...
agree on both counts ..... I found a left over Z6 which is just about done now, and went with a BT023 front, a good combo ....

soon however they will both need replacing .... leaning to BT023's as Canadian availability is not what you guys have in the USA ....
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015   #27
echo
The sky is falling...

Im working on fitting out a dozen STs with a dozen different tires. You all are invited to come try them out! The riders wont know what tire is on the bike however. You can try them all!

Oh but before you ride you have to state your favorite tire. If you pick a different tire I get $100. If you pick your favorite tire I'll give you $100.

Im thinking Im going to clean up!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015   #28
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 153 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I had the 020 on the front and an ME880 on the rear.
Worked for me.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015   #29
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

I have mounted about 12 sets of B 020F's on my '03 and like them. Never a single problem with any of them and a couple may have saved my butt. Usually get about 5,500 / 6,000 miles to wear bars for my almost all back curvy road riding. While in Morro Bay RVing for two months this winter I needed a new rear. Went to a local SLO shop that services the "white" ST's and they mounted a Michelin Pilot Road 4GT. Expensive, but seems good so far but can't say it is any better then the 020F. I buy the Stone's from Direct Line parts , no tax and no freight.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015   #30
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Bridgestone officially only recommends the ancient OE BT020s although owners have fitted BT 021s, 023s, and T30s since 2006.
They do GT's in T30's, for the heavier bike now.
http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/moto/ranges/battlax/t30/

I agree with the Avon doubt, I had a front on a VFR that badly scalloped, that put me off having more but to blame a specific problem on the tyre seems a little OTT, it could have had a slow puncture or all sorts of other issues could be to blame.