ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old July 18th, 2014   #31
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Trying Michelin PR4s

My own opinion about tyres is they are all great to start with, I have never put a set on that didn't immediately improve handling and it's a couple of thousand miles after, you get more of an idea, but for me my memory just isn't good enough to compare by then.
My own experience is I will never buy another set of Avons after they cupped so badly after 3K miles it felt like the wheel was buckled, and the other totally personal thing is if they were cheap, like Maxxis, then they are probably hard and make me feel unhappy, for me riding is all about feeling happy.
Old July 18th, 2014   #32
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 153 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Stay happy.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014   #33
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I think the impressions one takes from a particular brand / model of tires on one bike cannot be directly compared to the impressions of the same bran/model of tires on a different brand/model of motorcycle. Up to now I thought GRN's impressions were from an ST1300. This may explain my differing opinion of the PR4s as we were talking about two quite different bikes.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014   #34
Superzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
Previous 2 sets were PR3's, got 8500 miles from both before replacing due to heavy scalloping.
I've had scalloping on Michelin PR2 and 3 on both my ST13 and Hayabusa, I'm not going to try PR4's. I have had good service from Dunlop RoadSmart II's.
Superzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014   #35
GRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
I think the impressions one takes from a particular brand / model of tires on one bike cannot be directly compared to the impressions of the same bran/model of tires on a different brand/model of motorcycle. Up to now I thought GRN's impressions were from an ST1300. This may explain my differing opinion of the PR4s as we were talking about two quite different bikes.
Fair enough... mine is lighter, has significantly stronger mid range torque, different geometry and a 17" front. Except for the noticeable weight difference, the handling dynamics are fairly similar, though the GSX when flopped down quick never gives me feedback that I'm starting to push the front wheel the way the ST13 did. I can't say re: ST11, I did put 100K on mine, but I never rode it as hard as I have most every bike since (training).
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014   #36
GRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzuki View Post
I've had scalloping on Michelin PR2 and 3 on both my ST13 and Hayabusa, I'm not going to try PR4's. I have had good service from Dunlop RoadSmart II's.
One set I pitched at 8500 miles still had decent tread, but the scalloping was so severe that I could feel loss or rear patch integrity - it started drifting a lot earlier and a bit erratically well before I was really pushing it near its normal limits.

I put the 4's on the GSX because they were cheaper than the 3's, the bike is for sale (hey Mick, did you hear that?), and most of my riding at the moment is pretty tame commuting or 2-300 mile runs in the hills with the kiddo on pillion. I doubt I'll try them on the RT... so far the Road Attacks have performed pretty well, and I may have to give Pirelli another try.
Old July 22nd, 2014   #37
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
I put the 4's on the GSX because they were cheaper than the 3's, the bike is for sale (hey Mick, did you hear that?),
Yeah, I hear it Greg, believe me, but I'd have to trade my cranky old body in for a younger model if I were ever going to get another Bandit.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014   #38
GRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzuki View Post
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/16...re-Review.aspx

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ne...-touring-tyre/