ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old April 19th, 2013   #21
rodm850g

Thumbs up Re: Time for New Tires

tnrider,
Good day to you! I rode the 020 for two sets when I got my 04....noticed a humming of some kind when heeled over....Then I tried the 021 after being approached by a Bridgestone tire rep at Daytona ....went through the front in an 1800 mile mountain trip.....shaved it off like a triangle, weird wear pattern...
I haven't tried the Michelins yet but have run the ME-Z6 front and rear and like them a lot....My mileage varies a lot from all others posted and I have never been able to figure out why....I'm fanatical about setting tire pressure...I'm in eastern, N.C. and plan to do a trip to the almost ready to reopen T.W.O. campground in Suches,Ga...I may order up a set of the Pilot Road 3s just to check them out....next thing to determine is who to get your tires from, do you have a trust worthy dealer or shop near you?
I got tired of the local shops charging an arm leg and other bits of anatomy as well as hard cash just to put on two tires....so I got my own set up from NoMar and by now it has paid for itself as I go through {between 4 bikes} 4-6 sets of tires a year....
I'll also agree with the Z6 and 880 for longevity although the Z6 roadtek is still being made and available at about $150 from Competition Accessories...Good luck in your choices and trial and error isn't so bad , still wanting to get up your way this year , get down to the valley for a visit.....take care
Rod
Old April 19th, 2013   #22
tnrider

Default Re: Time for New Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodm850g View Post
tnrider,
Good day to you! I rode the 020 for two sets when I got my 04....noticed a humming of some kind when heeled over....Then I tried the 021 after being approached by a Bridgestone tire rep at Daytona ....went through the front in an 1800 mile mountain trip.....shaved it off like a triangle, weird wear pattern...
I haven't tried the Michelins yet but have run the ME-Z6 front and rear and like them a lot....My mileage varies a lot from all others posted and I have never been able to figure out why....I'm fanatical about setting tire pressure...I'm in eastern, N.C. and plan to do a trip to the almost ready to reopen T.W.O. campground in Suches,Ga...I may order up a set of the Pilot Road 3s just to check them out....next thing to determine is who to get your tires from, do you have a trust worthy dealer or shop near you?
I got tired of the local shops charging an arm leg and other bits of anatomy as well as hard cash just to put on two tires....so I got my own set up from NoMar and by now it has paid for itself as I go through {between 4 bikes} 4-6 sets of tires a year....
I'll also agree with the Z6 and 880 for longevity although the Z6 roadtek is still being made and available at about $150 from Competition Accessories...Good luck in your choices and trial and error isn't so bad , still wanting to get up your way this year , get down to the valley for a visit.....take care
Rod
Rod since you and ZLD both recommended Z6 front and 880 rear I'm starting to lean that way. Bridgestone must have really screwed up in designing the 021 since I've read several reports like yours. The best news you provided that I wasn't aware of is that T.W.O. Campground is re-opening. I've never stayed there but it was always a stop over during my frequent North Georgia trips. Thanks for the comments.

Steve
tnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013   #23
tnrider

I found this website that gives a good description of tires for the ST1300. I couldn't find a date on the site so it may not be current but thought I would share it. Notice that it also states that the Z6 front 880 rear is a good combination.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ST1300_a.html
tnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013   #24
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

The Z6 front, 880 rear is often endorsed by the LD guys, which is what zldrider is (was?) This setup as I understand it is more mileage biased than traction biased. The Z6 as a rear gets many negatives from FJR guys due to the end of its life. It will look like it has plenty of miles left and SUDDENLY cords are showing. They do report good service up to the end.

I vaguely remember something about the 023GT not being available in an ST1300 fitment. Only the 023, not the GT. This may have changed, or I may be wrong again.

I just received two sets of Ariete right angle valve stems from Precision Cycle Accessories. I think $28 a set. Available in colors (I chose silver) I got a set for my ST and Dad's FJR. Next tire change, they go in.

The BT-021 on both the ST and FJR front made it 3K miles. By 1500 miles traction had disappeared from their vocabulary.

Too many things affect tire mileage to effectively list. Pressure, riding style, riding position, rider weight, passenger weight, luggage weight and position, temperature, road twistiness, road design, road surface, road composition, it goes on and on. Mine are affected by my mood. I am inconsistent in what I am asking of my bike and tires.

Good luck.
Old April 19th, 2013   #25
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrider View Post
I found this website that gives a good description of tires for the ST1300. I couldn't find a date on the site so it may not be current but thought I would share it. Notice that it also states that the Z6 front 880 rear is a good combination.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ST1300_a.html
I think you will find some of the information dated (copyright on the site states 2003-2011) prices to be sure will be out of date.
The suspension stuff is certainly out of date. I don't think Wilburs has a U.S. distributor any longer, HyperPro is crap in my opinion, and I would not do business with Works if they were taping hundred dollar bills to each coil on the spring.
Tires..
Avon has removed their product from the market. Dangerous was a appropriate label here, they came apart.
You do not have enough money to run the Dunlop 205 and the D220 is universally hated.
The Metzeler Z4 never was for the 1300 the Z6 may not be in production any longer.
The ME880 is a touring tire. At touring speed and loads it does fine push it and it will bite.
Michelin PR's are still out in PR2 & PR3, (I think the 2 is still out)
The PR's get good reviews for both stick and miles.
Pirelli maks a good Superbike tire I do not think they make a ST tire.

Although better today than when we first started the hunt for tires the ST's odd size front limits tire selection to a few manufactures.
With Dunlop out of the picture for many,crap product, most drift back and forth from Bridgestone and Michelin. Between the two I think the Michelin gets the better reviews. Those with even casual throttle control can get 10k out and about and still get them home intact, worn out but intact.

I ran several sets of the Z6/ME880 combo. The rear held up better than the front but in all fairness pushing the front beyond 12k on any tire for the ST is risky business. The Z6 is gone I do believe it has been replaced by the Z8 Interact. I've never used the Interact but the ones I've seen, FJR fitted, showed the standard Metzeler wear pointy and cupping. I do not know anybody that runs the Interact today. Just a brief dash through their site shows they do not make the ST's size in front or rear and this was telling.

From the Metzeler site on the ME 888 Marathon Ultra.
Grip 3 out of 5
Handling 3 out of 5
Mileage 5 out of 5
Wet Performance 4 out of 5
Comfort 5 out of 5.

It looks like more style than function but again the ME series is a touring tire the name says it all, Marathon Ultra.

Paul
Old April 20th, 2013   #26
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
I have never used Dunlops again.
I'm still running 020 Bridgestones, favorites.Paul
Odd. My records show that the first set of BT-020's I put on my old '99 ST1100A was installed in 2003. Looks like I installed 5 of them while I owned the bike. When I googled BT-020's just now, it says that they were first introduced in 2007. . Cornfused. Hard to believe the same tire would have been around so long.

From: http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-BA.../dp/B005J8X96A
Date First AvailableJanuary 30, 2007

At any rate, I quit using them because they cupped so rapidly and deeply,... even worse than the Dunlop D-205's. They must have improved since then.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013   #27
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

My first set of 020's went on in February of 2003 almost 90 days after I took delivery of the ST.
I've had the Dunlops and Metzelers cup but never the Bridgestones.
By the time the Bridgestones arrived I had already talked to about all the suspension folks about springs and had gone with the HyperPro, big mistake. The Sonic Springs went in before the first set of 020's came off cup free. Another set of 020's went on then the first of what looks to be 3 sets of Z6/ME880's. The front Z6 of set 1 cupped. By the end of the Metzeler series I had the suspension sorted out and throttle control prevailed and I stopped cupping tires.
It's pretty much been 020's ever since. I have a new set on, a set mounted, and a spare set then the hunt begins anew. Michelin's first.

Paul
Old April 20th, 2013   #28
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
My first set of 020's went on in February of 2003 almost 90 days after I took delivery of the ST.
I've had the Dunlops and Metzelers cup but never the Bridgestones.

Interesting. My front BT-020's cupped so bad I began referring to them as "cup-o-matics" . I finally changed to Avon Azaros and no mas cupping. D-205's were cup prone as well but not as bad as the BT-020's.

My riding style was a LOT more aggressive 10 years ago so maybe that explains the difference in our experience with these tires.

Old April 20th, 2013   #29
PaulRB
The Grouch

I had a lot of things calm down once I quite using the throttle like a toggle switch. About the biggest improvement came with the addition of the cruise control and the elimination of the flashing lights in the mirrors.

Paul
Old April 20th, 2013   #30
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
the elimination of the flashing lights in the mirrors.

That'll do it alright.