ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old April 18th, 2013   #11
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Time for New Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrider View Post
Paul mine came with the Bridgestone 020's. I like the smooth way they ride but I've been reading about the BT-023-GT's. Do you have any knowledge of these. The claim is they last longer then the 021's but I don't know how that compares to the 020's.
I have never used the 023's.
I ride with a guy on a FJR that likes them a lot even with the funny wear patterns that he claims can not be felt. Mileage wise they look to hold up well. I think all these multi compound tires take on a funny wear pattern but if it does not make them feel funny it looks to be something we will need to get used to.
The reason for my try them all recommendation is fairly simple.
I ride with a wide variety of bikes that can include as many as 5 ST's.
Most of these things are set up properly so spotting tire wear is fairly easy and extremely unobtrusive. I have found that any two of us can mount the same tire and put on the same miles on the same roads and get wildly differing mileage and wear patterns. We just do not ride them the same and that shows up in two areas, the tires and fuel mileage. I can pretty much predict tire mileage at the gas pump for most of these guys by now. Find out what works for you, try them all.
My 020 stockpile is about empty and their numbers at the big distributes are in rapid decline if not out of stock. I will need to make a decision shortly and I am think Michelin will be the next set I try.
I'm keeping a close eye on the ones I see here and so far I like what I'm seeing.

In my opinion the 021 was a first attempt at multi compound that failed miserably and not just on the ST.
It looks as if Bridgestone used what it learned and applied it to the 023.
I would not run 021's on anything I own based on what I was seeing and hearing.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; April 18th, 2013 at 03:06 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013   #12
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post

Some wear out sooner than others because they are made to be more sticky.
Most people wouldnt put sticky tires on an ST they want longer wearing tires. As the OP said.

In my experience the rest of the tires last about the same.

I use the BT20s on my ST13 also.

Has the OP considered a car tire for the rear?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013   #13
Poppi
Donators

My original Dunlops cupped and my Michelin Pilot Road 2's were noisy on the front. Now I'm using the "new" Dunlop Roadsmarts (not cupping) on the front and Hankook on the rear. This combination is working great for me.

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013   #14
tnrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
I have never used the 023's.
I ride with a guy on a FJR that likes them a lot even with the funny wear patterns that he claims can not be felt. Mileage wise they look to hold up well. I think all these multi compound tires take on a funny wear pattern but if it does not make them feel funny it looks to be something we will need to get used to.
The reason for my try them all recommendation is fairly simple.
I ride with a wide variety of bikes that can include as many as 5 ST's.
Most of these things are set up properly so spotting tire wear is fairly easy and extremely unobtrusive. I have found that any two of us can mount the same tire and put on the same miles on the same roads and get wildly differing mileage and wear patterns. We just do not ride them the same and that shows up in two areas, the tires and fuel mileage. I can pretty much predict tire mileage at the gas pump for most of these guys by now. Find out what works for you, try them all.
My 020 stockpile is about empty and their numbers at the big distributes are in rapid decline if not out of stock. I will need to make a decision shortly and I am think Michelin will be the next set I try.
I'm keeping a close eye on the ones I see here and so far I like what I'm seeing.

In my opinion the 021 was a first attempt at multi compound that failed miserably and not just on the ST.
It looks as if Bridgestone used what it learned and applied it to the 023.
I would not run 021's on anything I own based on what I was seeing and hearing.

Paul
Thanks Paul, that's a great post and I appreciate the information.
tnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013   #15
tnrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Most people wouldnt put sticky tires on an ST they want longer wearing tires. As the OP said.

In my experience the rest of the tires last about the same.

I use the BT20s on my ST13 also.

Has the OP considered a car tire for the rear?
No Echo, I have not tried the car tire. A friend installed one on his Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 and I have to admit it seems to be working fine. I was surprised when I rode it that it didn't try to fight the lean in the curves. With that said I'll probable stay with the traditional motorcycle tire.
Old April 18th, 2013   #16
echo
The sky is falling...

Well if its not a problem how it handles and a ct costs $100 and gets 15,000 miles maybe you should rethink that?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013   #17
tnrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Well if its not a problem how it handles and a ct costs $100 and gets 15,000 miles maybe you should rethink that?

Maybe I will.
Old April 18th, 2013   #18
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I will 100% agree with everything that Paul said in this thread. He said it so well there is no sense repeating it.

The BT-020s that were the OEM on my ST and Dad's FJR were really good tires. We had zero complaints and I could be 100% happy with them right now if I had to run them again. There have been advancements since these tires were made.

EVERYTHING lasts longer than the BT-021. The rear is not that bad, the front is a joke.

For my needs and my climate, the Michelin PR2 is excellent. Certainly the best rain tire I ever used. Dad is running the PR3 on his FJR and says that it is better in the rain than the PR2. I may try a set. As Poppi said, the PR2 front will start to howl as it morphs into its inescapable wear pattern. The FJR guys don't notice it as much since they don't have as good of wind protection. I only notice it when my shield is up high.

According to the FJR guys the BT-023 GT is an excellent choice. I have never used them.

Ride a lot, wear out tires, try different brands. Then you can come back and report your findings to us! Good luck.
Old April 18th, 2013   #19
tnrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I will 100% agree with everything that Paul said in this thread. He said it so well there is no sense repeating it.

The BT-020s that were the OEM on my ST and Dad's FJR were really good tires. We had zero complaints and I could be 100% happy with them right now if I had to run them again. There have been advancements since these tires were made.

EVERYTHING lasts longer than the BT-021. The rear is not that bad, the front is a joke.

For my needs and my climate, the Michelin PR2 is excellent. Certainly the best rain tire I ever used. Dad is running the PR3 on his FJR and says that it is better in the rain than the PR2. I may try a set. As Poppi said, the PR2 front will start to howl as it morphs into its inescapable wear pattern. The FJR guys don't notice it as much since they don't have as good of wind protection. I only notice it when my shield is up high.

According to the FJR guys the BT-023 GT is an excellent choice. I have never used them.

Ride a lot, wear out tires, try different brands. Then you can come back and report your findings to us! Good luck.
Thanks Redfish. I always find your posts informative. I just got back from a week long trip to Homosassa, Florida putting on about 1700 miles total. I've got about 8600 miles on it and thought the tires were getting a little worn but need to look at them more carefully. Seems like I was always able to get 10,000 - 12,000 on the last ST1100 I had but may not get that many on the ST1300. Thanks for the response.
Old April 18th, 2013   #20
GRN

I tried 021's on the ST13 when they first came out... They wore fast and funky, took them off just past 4K miles and the front was toast, dark toast. From there I would not have used them again except they came as OEM on two new bikes since, and had decent experience in those cases. Both were liter+ bikes, but much lighter. I can't attest to it being generational, or simply an effect of weight.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote