ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old December 22nd, 2011   #21
ralphn0
Donators

Default Re: New Tire on ST-1300 - Now On Darkside

That's why there is chocolate and vanilla. I just just like to hear criticism based on personal opinion. To each his own and people should try to base opinions on documented true and proven facts especially when criticizing anyone.
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011   #22
thomasacombs

I have to say, CT on a moto seems WAY off of the reservation and I would never do it. At the same time, you cannot really argue with those who have had positive experiences with them. Interesting discussion.
thomasacombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011   #23
thomasacombs

One thing to consider is you are putting stresses on a CT that it was not designed to endure. They are meant to stay flat, not to roll side to side as motos do. You may have an unexpected tire failure on account of that.
Old December 27th, 2011   #24
Gene

How many unexpected failures have any naysayers actuallyu heard of and can document to prove this is a bad thing when done in the manner it is being done ?? Come on, bring on the proof to back up the crash and burn opinions .
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011   #25
thomasacombs

Even without proof of a tire failure, the consequences of one are so severe that, simply as a matter of common sense, one should think twice before asking this of technology, ie, to operate outside of its design parameters.
Old December 27th, 2011   #26
ralphn0
Donators

Nothing ventured nothing gained!!! I think those willing to try know the side effects. If they are willing to try to find the limits then more power to them. I'm sure they will share that information with us!!
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011   #27
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Those in the business of selling car tires usually also sell car tires. Michelin, Bridgestone, Avon, Dunlop to name a few. I imagine they sell a heck of a lot more car tires than motorcycle tires so the line about "they are in the business of selling motorcycle tires" so they discourage mounting car tires on a motorcycle in order to preserve profit is hogwash. In this society they are trying to keep you as safe as their engineers and lawyers can in spite of yourself. We have MC tires now that were unthinkable just 10 or 15 years ago with superb handling and longer mileage than thought possible or you can mount a CT and get used to it. The only reason to do this is to save money and maybe not have to change tires on a long trip. Even the second reason is "it is cheaper" dressed up in fancy touring clothes. If this nonsense actually made motorcycles handle better and rubber last longer the manufacturers would be in front of it, not behind it.
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012   #28
railroadrider
Donators

This a pretty interesting video concerning contact patch with a CT.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...T-on-my-ST1300
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012   #29
railroadrider
Donators

Anybody out there in central CA, say Fresno area to Stockton with a tire changer?
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012   #30
echo

I am wondering what happens with a CT when you are riding on a multilane road that is being repaved? You know...theres three lanes and theyve just laid one lane of asphalt for a mile or so. That lane is typically three inches or so above the others.

What happens when you try to go from the two lower lanes to the higher one? Anyone done that?

Here in Camden NJ we have ancient concrete roads. They have been around forever but tend to be in sections a few yards long. Its not uncommon to see raised section a couple of inches higher than the general roadway.