ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Communications

Old August 4th, 2017   #11
ibike2havefun

Default Re: Question about volume level

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Hearing is not something I joke about nor find funny.

Paul
Certainly there is nothing funny about losing your hearing. But there are opportunities for humor:

A couple years ago my wife went to the doctor because she felt as though she was not hearing as well as she ought to. After the exam the doctor told her there is nothing wrong with her hearing, she just needs to pay attention. Turns out I have been exactly right for over 30 years.

The more serious issues are that I have had tinnitus since forever, and I am definitely no longer able to separate and isolate sounds from a loud mixed environment as once I could. If there are three people talking at once I can't follow any of them any longer, where I used to be able to tune out two and listen to the third. Background babble and clutter now intrude in a way they never did before, and overwhelm my ability to isolate, focus on, parse and decipher an individual signal.
Now to try to wear it out.

Last edited by ibike2havefun; August 4th, 2017 at 03:04 AM.
ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017   #12
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
Certainly there is nothing funny about losing your hearing. But there are opportunities for humor:

A couple years ago my wife went to the doctor because she felt as though she was not hearing as well as she ought to. After the exam the doctor told her there is nothing wrong with her hearing, she just needs to pay attention. Turns out I have been exactly right for over 30 years.

The more serious issues are that I have had tinnitus since forever, and I am definitely no longer able to separate and isolate sounds from a loud mixed environment as once I could. If there are three people talking at once I can't follow any of them any longer, where I used to be able to tune out two and listen to the third. Background babble and clutter now intrude in a way they never did before, and overwhelm my ability to isolate, focus on, parse and decipher an individual signal.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017   #13
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Hearing is not something I joke about nor find funny.

Paul
Is there ANYTHING that you do joke about or find funny?

Frankly, since it is MY ears and MY hearing I don't give a shit whether you joke about it or not. Would it be better if I wrung my hands and cried all day because I am losing my hearing?

Lighten up a little bit Paul. You are the best source of information we have and you are a true asset to this forum but you are one grouchy human being.
Old August 7th, 2017   #14
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

You're right it's your hearing but it has wide ranging effects.

Hearing loss affects everyone on the road when those that can't hear are on the road.
That siren you did not hear might just somebodies loved one in the Ambulance that you have not given way to because you did not hear it behind you.

Hearing is serious business.
Protect what you have, you don't get any more.

Grouchy?
I let Ligito's "Pay Attention" comment, which I consider insulting, slide.
Those that can hear truly do not understand what handicap hearing loss is.
If that's considered Grouchy I'll take it with pride.

The Grouch
Paul
Old August 7th, 2017   #15
Wally Schauer

PaulRB- It sounds like you must have older technology hearing aids. I have been wearing them since 2010 or 11 (memory is worse than hearing) and they work very well. They have programs to listen to TV (with no volume on the TV) and I can sit anywhere in a noisy room or public dining area and click in a program that sounds like someone drops a heavy curtain 4 or 5 feet behind me, it cuts out 90% of background noise so you can have a conversation and hear the people near you properly in a noisy environment. And I know there even better ones out there, albeit they get expensive quickly.
Wally Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017   #16
CPR4LIFE

It turns out my speaker placement with the Uclear is just fine so I'm hoping the Freecom 2 makes the difference. It's got some other nice bonuses as well. One that she particularly likes is that we can both listen to the same music source instead of having separate sources and having to turn on the intercom to speak.
Old August 12th, 2017   #17
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I wish you the best of luck with your purchase. I was skeptical several years ago when we first tried the Cardo. I did not want anything to distract me from my riding. (I am not a great rider!)

Fortunately I have improved my riding slightly over the years.

The comm system has improved the quality and increased our enjoyment of riding. Pop usually does not say much...I do most of the talking anyway. The ability to say, "Look at that eagle sitting on that rabbit beside that big rock on the left!" instead of finding out 45 minutes later at the next stop that no, Pop did not ever see it... Priceless.

Other wonderful benefits of a comm system:

"Your turn signal is still on dummy." (Who needs self canceling when you have Pop?)

"This curve is tightening up, back it down a little"

"Sky is looking mighty dark. Think we should stop and put on rain gear?" That could turn into a lengthy discussion.

"Someplace to pee would be nice."

"Oh my Goddess! Did you see that (blonde, brunette, redhead) getting out of that Corvette?" (I would NOT advise that conversation with your wife BTW)

Again, I wish you the best of luck, if we can help you further... And it would be nice to know what you and your wife think once you use them a while.
Old August 12th, 2017   #18
CPR4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I wish you the best of luck with your purchase. I was skeptical several years ago when we first tried the Cardo. I did not want anything to distract me from my riding. (I am not a great rider!)

Fortunately I have improved my riding slightly over the years.

The comm system has improved the quality and increased our enjoyment of riding. Pop usually does not say much...I do most of the talking anyway. The ability to say, "Look at that eagle sitting on that rabbit beside that big rock on the left!" instead of finding out 45 minutes later at the next stop that no, Pop did not ever see it... Priceless.

Other wonderful benefits of a comm system:

"Your turn signal is still on dummy." (Who needs self canceling when you have Pop?)

"This curve is tightening up, back it down a little"

"Sky is looking mighty dark. Think we should stop and put on rain gear?" That could turn into a lengthy discussion.

"Someplace to pee would be nice."

"Oh my Goddess! Did you see that (blonde, brunette, redhead) getting out of that Corvette?" (I would NOT advise that conversation with your wife BTW)

Again, I wish you the best of luck, if we can help you further... And it would be nice to know what you and your wife think once you use them a while.
That's all good stuff and thank you so much!

But when did I get married?
Old August 18th, 2017   #19
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Ok guys,

I think that all of you would agree that it is a must to wear ear plugs to protect your hearing while riding, right?

So, go just one step further and get Custom Ear Plugs with transducers in them and wire that into your helmet's speaker system (splice them to the speakers).

I highly recommend The EarPlug Company for this. It's been working great for me for over 20 years.

A little tip for really long rides - smear a bit of Neosporin on the plugs prior to putting them into your ears. It will help slide them in easier but, more importantly, it will get rid of any itching that may crop up over a long ride (500 or more miles).

Pros:
- you don't have to raise the volume to hear your music or communications.
- you are protecting your hearing.
- they are very comfortable.
- easy to create your own molds and send them to the company to get your earplugs created.
- great customer service

Cons:
- price, they're around $150 if I recall.
- Takes a little over a week or so to get them done.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017   #20
burt8810
Donators

According to the AMA magazine it is illegal to wear hearing protection while operating a motor vehicle in the great state of OHIO (and 2 other states that I don't remember).
Herb '03