ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself here, please.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2016   #11
PaulRB
ST Guru
 
PaulRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 2,799
Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: new old guy

ST1300 2008 Set-Up Instructions
__________________
STOC 3499
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016   #12
northcarolinared08
New Member
 
northcarolinared08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N C
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0 northcarolinared08 can only hope to improve
Default Re: new old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
I've hit 135. No weave. Rock steady - the bike, not me. As the road approaches you at those speeds things get really our of perspective. You can't react fast enough if anything bad happens. It's fine if you're on a known road (read: track) and you know the road is safe for those speeds. If not, it can be very difficult to maintain control over any irregularities in the roadway, and that doesn't even get into "dirty air". Those air waves produced by other vehicles on the road.

Keep it under a ton, and there's nothing to worry about - even with a _not properly_ installed front wheel.

Found it. Paul's post:

1. Torque the left axle bolt to 16 ft.lbs.
2. Torque the axle bolt to 58 ft.lbs.
3. Torque the right axle pinch bolt to 16 ft.lbs.
4. Loosen the left axle pinch bolts.
5. Lock the front brake and push the suspension up/down several times.
7. Torque the left axle pinch bolts to 16 ft. lbs.

I think #1 should be left axle pinch bolt.

Is there a given sequence for tightening the fork tube pinch bolts?
I tried to slide the fork tubes up, but they would not, so I re tightened the bolts. How do you slide the tubes up? Is there a secret process?
northcarolinared08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016   #13
PaulRB
ST Guru
 
PaulRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 2,799
Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: new old guy

Bottom then top.
There are six bolts total.
Two on each side bottom clamp, one on each side top clamp.
All six torque to 20 ft.lbs.

Twist the tubes to ease movement up or down.
Slight pressure on one bolt to hold the fork until you torque to spec.


Paul
__________________
STOC 3499
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016   #14
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer
 
zldrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 4,598
Rep Power: 3 zldrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: new old guy

But be careful, sliding the fork tubes will change the steering geometry. I tried that on my ST1100 and it caused a high speed wobble.

I quickly changed it back.

On my ST1300, the "Pan Weave" starts around 135 mph. So, I don't ride that fast. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcarolinared08 View Post
Is there a given sequence for tightening the fork tube pinch bolts?
I tried to slide the fork tubes up, but they would not, so I re tightened the bolts. How do you slide the tubes up? Is there a secret process?
__________________
Joe Zulaski
Redmond, WA
MSF RiderCoach
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016   #15
railroadrider
Donators
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spirit Lake, ID
Posts: 228
Rep Power: 109 railroadrider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new old guy

On my ST1300, the "Pan Weave" starts around 135 mph. So, I don't ride that fast. ;-)[/quote]

Was that before or after all the fork work?
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016   #16
PaulRB
ST Guru
 
PaulRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 2,799
Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: new old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
But be careful, sliding the fork tubes will change the steering geometry. I tried that on my ST1100 and it caused a high speed wobble.

I quickly changed it back.

On my ST1300, the "Pan Weave" starts around 135 mph. So, I don't ride that fast. ;-)

We are not talking about adjusting fork tube height other than insuring both tubes are at the same height.

"Align the top end of the fork tube with the upper surface of the top bridge" is the stated spec from Honda.

Paul
__________________
STOC 3499
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016   #17
northcarolinared08
New Member
 
northcarolinared08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N C
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0 northcarolinared08 can only hope to improve
Default Re: new old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
But be careful, sliding the fork tubes will change the steering geometry. I tried that on my ST1100 and it caused a high speed wobble.

I quickly changed it back.

On my ST1300, the "Pan Weave" starts around 135 mph. So, I don't ride that fast. ;-)
I will not be be that fast, so no problem there. I have hit 110 a couple of times and that is when I noticed the weave.
Since yesterday I have adjusted the rear shock to about the max, on both adjustments, and removed the rubber blocks from the seat bottom, so I can reach the ground better. I rode about 90 miles today, tried it twice at the highly unlawful speed mentioned above, and noticed the wiggle seemed to be gone.This was with the windshield down all the way, and I do not have a top box.Tire pressure was 42/42.
I had an 05 BMW K1200LT that was as solid as a rock at that speed, traded it for the Honda because it was too top heavy. It had a steering damper.
40 years ago I had a 1974 H2 Kawasaki that didn't wiggle as much as the ST seems to want to do, and I rode it way faster, because I was way stupider. It had an adjustable steering damper.
The frame was different for the 1100ST, was it not? and the bike was longer also?
I have custom bent some plexi glass for wind wings between the mirrors and the windshield, because I didn't want to pay Honda's price for the factory add-ons. I did buy the lower fairing extensions, and they help to direct the heat away quite well.
Sorry for the long reply.

Last edited by northcarolinared08; May 24th, 2016 at 07:02 PM.
northcarolinared08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016   #18
ligito
Donators
 
ligito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 3,967
Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: new old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcarolinared08 View Post
I will not be be that fast, so no problem there. I have hit 110 a couple of times and that is when I noticed the weave.
Since yesterday I have adjusted the rear shock to about the max, on both adjustments, and removed the rubber blocks from the seat bottom, so I can reach the ground better. I rode about 90 miles today, tried it twice at the highly unlawful speed mentioned above, and noticed the wiggle seemed to be gone.This was with the windshield down all the way, and I do not have a top box.Tire pressure was 42/42.
I had an 05 BMW K1200LT that was as solid as a rock at that speed, traded it for the Honda because it was too top heavy. It had a steering damper.
40 years ago I had a 1974 H2 Kawasaki that didn't wiggle as much as the ST seems to want to do, and I rode it way faster, because I was way stupider. It had an adjustable steering damper.
The frame was different for the 1100ST, was it not? and the bike was longer also?
I have custom bent some plexi glass for wind wings between the mirrors and the windshield, because I didn't want to pay Honda's price for the factory add-ons. I did buy the lower fairing extensions, and they help to direct the heat away quite well.
Sorry for the long reply.
There are a few on this site, that are way more long winded, than you.
__________________
IBAN Old Fart

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016   #19
Rob2m
Loquacious Member
 
Rob2m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hull UK
Posts: 742
Rep Power: 56 Rob2m will become famous soon enough
Default Re: new old guy

Welcome to the forum. In the UK the police stopped using Pan's due to the alleged weave, some said it was the large amounts of weight they have in their the boxes.
Mostly it's a well discussed issue, weaving caused by top boxes, It leaves a taint on the bike but as far as I'm aware any of us that have had it, have discovered the/a reason why.
__________________
"Today’s ride will remind me forever how good it is to be a motorcyclist, how good it is to be alive and how much we need to live life, rather than watch it pass us by." Green VFR. 1970-2012
Rob2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016   #20
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer
 
zldrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 4,598
Rep Power: 3 zldrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: new old guy

Reading comprehension - the fork work was on my ST1100, not my ST1300.



Quote:
Originally Posted by railroadrider View Post
On my ST1300, the "Pan Weave" starts around 135 mph. So, I don't ride that fast. ;-)
Was that before or after all the fork work?[/quote]
__________________
Joe Zulaski
Redmond, WA
MSF RiderCoach
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2011 ST1300.US.COM