ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself here, please.

Old August 1st, 2015   #1
frostty05

Default reinstalling the headlight switch

Hi all,

I have a 2013 ST1300, unlike my other pans (I'm in the uk) when I start up my bike the headlight automatically comes on and Honda in their wisdom have removed the light switch.

My question is that if I was to put the older right hand switch gear onto my bike would it work through the switch ?

Any thoughts or perhaps any one tried this ?

Thanks Mark
frostty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015   #2
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: reinstalling the headlight switch

I cant answer that for sure without looking at a diagram but either way it should be a fairly straightforward bit of wire swapping for the headlamp, you would have more to do with the side lamps too, as I recall they are on the same switch.
I'd ask why though, the alternators on the ST1300 are pretty useful, plenty of amperage for recharging and running stuff ?
Old August 1st, 2015   #3
frostty05

Rob,

thanks for that, the only reason I was thinking of it is that I was considering fitting different DRL's therefore not needing the headlights on. Might just keep them as they are. Have you seen the new LED lights that use the indicators as both Indicators and side lights ?
Old August 2nd, 2015   #4
JZH

It's certainly possible. The ST1100 Police switch incorporates a conventional headlight switch, so look around for threads describing such an installation. US-spec Hondas have had always-on headlights since at least the 1990s, while the UK did not get them across the board until 2003/4, when Honda decided to make the change voluntarily.

I have done the "Euro switch conversion" on my US-spec Hondas, and I've found that the easiest way is (in general terms) to leave the starter switch/headlight cut-out wiring alone, swapping it into a new Euro-spec switch pod. In other words, don't try to re-wire the headlight circuit from US-spec to Euro-spec; just add the headlight switch into the existing circuit.

I've done this mod to my '04 ST1300A, but as I had also stupidly incorporated a single-side HID conversion into my modification (since removed and thrown far, far away) my wiring diagram wouldn't likely help you (even if I could find it!) The Haynes manuals have both pre-04 and 04-on UK and US-spec wiring diagrams, so if you compare these diagrams you can work out what physical re-wiring needs to be done.

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015   #5
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 153 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I put the police switchpod on my '04 ST1300A US model and it will allow you to turn the headlights off. I use this, when I'm doing work on the bike.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015   #6
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mark. You will need to check the UK legality. The rules about headlamps in the UK has changed and that is why they are now always on. It is also why you now see so many cars with LED lights always on. In Europe it has been a legal requirement to ride with dipped headlights irrespective of whether or not you have a switch to turn them on and off. Why do you want to turn them off anyway?
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015   #7
Wjbertrand
ST guru

An off switch is handy if you have upgraded to HIDs because the headlights come on when the key is switched on but the starter switch disconnects them when it's depressed. HIDs do not like to have their power interrupted whilst in their start up. Short term, one or both of the lamps may fail to ignite, long term, their life is compromised. I added a switch to my ST for this reason, I never ride with them off.

Interestingly the Yamaha Super Tenere I just picked up is different. There are no headlights when the key is initially switched on, instead they HLs come on after the engine has been started. For HIDs, in the case of the Yamaha, an off switch would not be needed.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015   #8
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 153 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

You can also buy a waterproof switch that can be mounted with a bracket, or other means.
I used to put them on my ATV's. It is a pull on switch.
I also put one on an older Yamaha, it was a switch from a Yamaha TT-350.
It is now very expensive, so I went to the aftermarket, for additional switches.
Cole-Hersee makes some very good ones.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015   #9
frostty05

Guys,

Thanks for all your comments, I think that I will just leave them alone and maybe put phillips vision plus bulbs in just to give a slightly sharper light on.

Now for the twisting , trying to get my hands in to change those bulbs.

Mark
Old August 4th, 2015   #10
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mark. I use Phillips Visions as well. In the US I think that they regard the headlight setup as one lamp (something to do with the lack of a full barrier between the left and right reflectors) and therefore don't have the standard H4 setup that we have. So the US lights are not up to the power that we enjoy. There are quite a few threads covering the conversions that the US guys go through to bring their lights up to H4 standard and beyond.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote