ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Lighting

Lighting Have you added High Intensity Display lights to your ST? Post a description and pictures here.

Old February 9th, 2015   #1
starcitymark

Default Auxillary Light Switch option

Bought this Autoswitch 5p to install on my 86 Voyager but will use on the ST. Thought others might find it useful as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Autoswitch 5p 001.jpg (63.0 KB, 105 views)
starcitymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015   #2
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Auxillary Light Switch option

http://www.autoswitch.com/downloads/...tions_as5p.pdf

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015   #3
chaissos
Donators

Step 3: "Then use the included wire-snap clips"....

If those are those little blue things that slip over one wire, and you push the second into it, then push one metal "M" shaped clamp into it and close it with the remainder of the blue clip...find something else. Those are designed to destroy vehicle harnesses, seems to me. Every vehicle (car, truck, MC, etc) I've ever seen that used them also required a harness replacement, or at least a wire replacement after the damage is done.

You can try a "Posi-Tap™ connector" (http://www.posi-products.com/) - a tad more expensive, but worth it, imho. They come in various sizes and versions to fit your needs, or solder, dielectric grease and shrink-wrap.
Old February 10th, 2015   #4
railroadrider
Donators

You can try a "Posi-Tapô connector" (http://www.posi-products.com/) - a tad more expensive, but worth it, imho. They come in various sizes and versions to fit your needs, or solder, dielectric grease and shrink-wrap.

I've used dozens and dozens of the "wire-snap-clips" over the decades. While I never have had a problem I was never happy about using them. They just seemed wrong to me. I have, on numerous occasions, soldered and shrink-wrapped but sometimes it just seemed like too much bother. I never knew anything like these existed. This forum frequently is a terrific source. Thanks to all I have learned from.
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015   #5
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Once upon a time (60-70's) the 3M wire connectors were the way to go if you did not own a soldering iron and were not offended by having your wiring butchered by those to lazy to do it correctly.

Those days are long gone.
Technology advances even in the realm of wiring.

Do it correctly once and be done.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015   #6
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Step 3: "Then use the included wire-snap clips"....

If those are those little blue things that slip over one wire, and you push the second into it, then push one metal "M" shaped clamp into it and close it with the remainder of the blue clip...find something else. Those are designed to destroy vehicle harnesses, seems to me. Every vehicle (car, truck, MC, etc) I've ever seen that used them also required a harness replacement, or at least a wire replacement after the damage is done.

You can try a "Posi-Tapô connector" (http://www.posi-products.com/) - a tad more expensive, but worth it, imho. They come in various sizes and versions to fit your needs, or solder, dielectric grease and shrink-wrap.
+1, on What he said. Leave the clam shell connectors, regardless of their names, alone.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015   #7
v4forever

I just did my GIproX healtech gear position indicator this weekend. They sent those little "wire snap clips" in their package. For me, tapping into the electronic control module with those cheap snap on connectors just seemed wrong.
Here is their blurb.
Quote:
Connect the GIpro Black/Green wire to this wire, using the Red wire tap connector supplied.
Usage: Place the unstripped run wire (shown in the table above) inside the run channel. Close the side cover until latched. Cut off the excess length, then insert the unstripped tap wire (Black/Green) completely and check its position. Insert the blade (u-contact) and press down by finger pressure. Then, fully depress the u-contact with pliers. Close the hinged top cover until latched.
What I did was removed the hitachi connector from the ECM, removed the single wire from the hitachi connector using a small screwdriver to release the locking tab, stripped a bit of the insulation from the wire, soldered my new wire to it and inserted it back in the plug.
I'd never use those hinged wire tap connectors
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015   #8
chaissos
Donators

You did heat shrink it afterwards, right? Using a bit of dielectric grease to keep that moisture out?

I'd never use those tap connectors. Like I said, they're designed to destroy harnesses. They might (and I stress "might") work OK (and only OK) in some area where there will never be any moisture, but really, where will you ever find an area with no moisture?? Even in your house, there's moisture. Everywhere, there's moisture. 'Specially on a vehicle that may run through rain, puddles, or even (gasp!) streams. Even in Minot, when the temps are below zero, still moisture. Eventually, moisture leads to rust, which, eventually, will rot the wire, and, eventually, you'll be replacing harness parts.
Old February 11th, 2015   #9
v4forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
You did heat shrink it afterwards, right? Using a bit of dielectric grease to keep that moisture out?
Never had to use heat shrink on this connection, all of the exposed wire hid under the plastic plug. Was a bit worried that the extra wire would not slip into the opening in the plug. As for dielectric grease, Honda at the factory never put any on this connection, so I didn't either. It was well hidden under the tail of the bike and all that was there was dust and a few cobwebs.
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote