ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > General Electrical, Fuse Holders, Switches

Old December 28th, 2014   #11
ibike2havefun

Default Re: Maura - To The White Courtesy Phone Please

I've looked at Amazon and found the following, which I have now ordered.

Working out from the battery end of the setup you'd have:

Clearly I don't need 10 pairs of battery clips, nor 25 pairs of ring connectors, etc. for a single set of cables so here's my proposition.

I'd be willing to ship out collections of the surplus items (2 ring connectors, 4 straight crimp-on insulated connectors, and one pair of red and black handled battery clips) to the first nine takers.

I will not get into the shipping and resale business, nor will I manufacture anything for someone else's use (limiting liability issues if nothing else), but I don't want to end up with a bunch of un-needed parts at the end of my project so I'm trying to share the bounty as it were.

You would be responsible for getting the parts that come in lot sizes of 1 unit (i.e. fuse holder and fuse, CES connector link, and wire from the connector to the battery clips) from whatever source you prefer, plus of course doing the manufacturing to your own standards (you may, for example, want to solder everything and wrap the joints in heat-shrink tubing as an additional safeguard against moisture) and I'll send you a set of the other items for $3 + actual shipping costs.

Looks like the all-in price for ordering everything from Amazon is about $60.50 (that's what I'll have shelled out); the unit cost is about half that for a finished set of cables.

If you're interested, send me a PM and we can work out payment and shipping details.

This is a one-time, non-commercial offer. Once I've dispersed the left-over items from my project I'm out of "business" and won't get back into it.
Now to try to wear it out.

Last edited by ibike2havefun; January 3rd, 2015 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Clarification of item description
ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015   #12
ibike2havefun

All the bits have arrived on schedule, and thanks to a more powerful soldering gun than my feeble 10-watt (maybe) original, everything is soldered up nicely and the project's done except for tape. Next time I'm at the Isolation Booth I'll wrap the various joints in appropriate colored vinyl tape and then at about 6 inch intervals I'll use additional tape to bind the wires together and make a rudimentary harness, of sorts.

For those of you waiting with bated breath, I'm not entirely certain about whether the "silicone" wires I chose will really take and hold solder well, but they're certainly nice and flexible. Time will tell on the soldering story, unless someone out there in Forum-World already knows through experience and cares to enlighten me.

Finally, I still have nine pairs of copper-clad alligator battery clamps and 24 pairs of ring-type terminators in case someone else wants a set for jumper cables of your very own and doesn't want to buy extra parts.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015   #13
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 144 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes wonder if it's better to solder connections between battery cables, or use butt connectors.
I can't help but wonder, if it gets real hot when jumping, will the heat cause them to de-solder?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015   #14
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 83 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I sometimes wonder if it's better to solder connections between battery cables, or use butt connectors.
I can't help but wonder, if it gets real hot when jumping, will the heat cause them to de-solder?

You will get some warning if the cables reach solder melt temps.
Some call it The Smoke Test others just reach up and say Ouch don't touch that.
Either way the cables will give up their insulation before the solder will give up it mealativity.

With that said I think most jumper cables are crimped.
With the proper crimping tool their connection is solid and stable.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote