ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Lighting

Lighting Have you added High Intensity Display lights to your ST? Post a description and pictures here.

Old April 22nd, 2014   #11
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Headlight Assembly Removal

Some but not all states have height laws.
Texas for example states that the center of the light be no closer to the ground than 24 inches and higher than 54 inches.
This is a safety inspection item in Texas.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014   #12
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

The UK Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 mandate a headlight minimum height from the ground of 500mm (20") and a maximum from the ground of 1200mm (48")for all vehicles (with the exception of a vehicle first used before 1st January 1952, an agricultural vehicle, a road clearance vehicle, an aerodrome fire tender, an aerodrome runway sweeper, an industrial tractor, engineering plant and a home forces' vehicle).

The centre of the ST1300 headlight sits around 870mm (not measured exactly) and is well with in those requirements whatever point the height is required to be measured from.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014   #13
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

On my garage door I have marked 34" on the center with two marks 7" apart, bulbs are 7" apart from center.
I marked the door for my pre-rally adjustment done at 25 feet.

I run a fairly strange pattern with the left bulb lighting the center stripe on the road and the right bulb lighting the shoulder/ditch.

I have the PIAA adjustment measurements as well.
The PIAA's are a true 120w bulbs x two set for way down range.
I call it the Bambi Alert Lighting & Lumination System.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014   #14
Garry in AZ

I have Futurevision high and low beam HID lights in my ST, and I love them. They are properly aimed, and DO NOT blind other drivers. I have done well over 40,000 miles with these lights, in 49 states and 4 provinces. Probably 15K of those miles were at night, with lots of secondary 2 lane highways, and have never had one driver flash at me, or even give them a second look. Aiming is important!
Now, if I have either my Clearwater Ericas or Darlas turned up, I will get flashed even in broad daylight!

Garry

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014   #15
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry in AZ View Post
I have Futurevision high and low beam HID lights in my ST, and I love them. They are properly aimed, and DO NOT blind other drivers. I have done well over 40,000 miles with these lights, in 49 states and 4 provinces. Probably 15K of those miles were at night, with lots of secondary 2 lane highways, and have never had one driver flash at me, or even give them a second look. Aiming is important!
Now, if I have either my Clearwater Ericas or Darlas turned up, I will get flashed even in broad daylight!
Close your eyes, and you will see nothing.

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014   #16
Garry in AZ

JZH said, "Close your eyes, and you will see nothing."

JZH, I understand from your earlier post that you have had bad luck with, in your words, "badly designed junk". That is unfortunate, and I understand why it would turn you off of HID's. But, I can assure you the the system I use is neither badly designed, nor junk. It works very well, and does not cause problems for other motorists. If it did, I would remove it, because blinding other drivers is not only discourteous, it's also dangerous. You can choose to believe me, or you can go on keeping your own eyes (and mind) shut. All due respect, I personally don't care which you choose.

However, I suggest that instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you consider the possibility that your one experience with one product does not necessarily represent what is possible with well engineered, properly installed and correctly aimed systems.

Garry

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014   #17
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Nicely put, Garry. I like mine too and for the same reasons. I've never had anyone flash their lights at me with these and yet, they light up the night when I need my brights.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014   #18
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry in AZ View Post
JZH said, "Close your eyes, and you will see nothing."

JZH, I understand from your earlier post that you have had bad luck with, in your words, "badly designed junk". That is unfortunate, and I understand why it would turn you off of HID's. But, I can assure you the the system I use is neither badly designed, nor junk. It works very well, and does not cause problems for other motorists. If it did, I would remove it, because blinding other drivers is not only discourteous, it's also dangerous. You can choose to believe me, or you can go on keeping your own eyes (and mind) shut. All due respect, I personally don't care which you choose.

However, I suggest that instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you consider the possibility that your one experience with one product does not necessarily represent what is possible with well engineered, properly installed and correctly aimed systems.

Garry
It has nothing to do with luck, Garry. If you understand the principles behind automotive lighting you cannot come to any different conclusion: HID conversion kits can do nothing other than produce noticeable amounts of scatter and glare when inserted into a wholly unsuitable environment such as an ST1300 headlamp unit (you didn't say which bike you have, but it's even worse with an ST1100 headlamp unit).

Because the ST1300 reflector headlamp unit is a constant, and the HID capsule design is also a constant, I'm afraid that I am absolutely certain that your system is also badly designed junk: You cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear. In this case, the HID light source is fundamentally of a different shape and size than the halogen filament it is meant to replace, which has the incontrovertible effect of reflecting light differently than an H4 halogen bulb placed into the same position. You may tell yourself that the difference is not significant, but without bothering to test it, that really depends on how willing you are to accept that it could be.

When I converted two of my bikes to HID, I was initially quite happy about the results, too, but eventually began to see beyond my initial, uninformed satisfaction and began to notice the scatter and the glare. Because your components are exactly the same, your results are exactly the same--they must be. What do you imagine is different about your kit? When I say "badly designed junk" I don't mean that your kit is badly manufactured--the factory could be ISO 9001 certified for all that matters--but that even the most precisely manufactured components cannot be assembled in such a way that works correctly if the design is flawed--and that particular combination is fatally flawed.

For amusement purposes (I have looked at many, many such kits over the years) I checked out Futurevision: "NO XENON H.I.D. lighting conversion system available from any source is DOT / E approved if installed outside of the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use." Oh, that's comforting... I wonder why they state nowhere on their site where the components are actually manufactured? "Assembled in Canada" means nothing. Because they're made in China, perhaps? Why the secrecy? I don't know why you seem to think their kits are anything other than the usual Chinese junk. I certainly saw nothing unique or even interesting there.

The H4 halogen international bulb specification defines the parameters of all H4 bulbs, and includes such things as the fore and aft positioning of the filaments, which are specified to within 0.1mm--specifications which are almost totally ignored by HID conversion kit manufacturers and users. On what possible rational basis do you believe that none of this regulation and precision actually matters? Because nobody's flashed you? Just keep telling yourself, "Bright lights save lives".

(Xenon retrofits can work quite well, but are unfortunately still illegal.)

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014   #19
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I gave up arguing with JZH some time ago. I am happy with my HIDs and they are not causing distracting stray light and glare. I've been running them for 5 years now. The cut off in fact, when viewed against my garage door, is even sharper than the cut off was on my Lexus IS300 which came factory equipped with HIDs.

I commute 46 miles each way on 101 and often come up upon coworkers making the same commute. During winter it's dark both directions. I have asked some of them if my lights are annoying or blinding and none of them have said they were. I have even had non-prompted voluntary comments that although noticeably bright, they were not obnoxious or blinding. I think they are probably noticing the 5000K color temp primarily. This stretch is also heavily patrolled and I've never been given a second look by the CHP, my bike even passed their inspection to be re-titled after it was totaled with the HIDs still installed.

This whole on-going debate reminds me of the joke about the difference between a scientist and an engineer. It goes like this:

A scientist and an engineer are placed at one side of a large room and at the opposite end of the room is the most beautify, sexy naked woman they've ever seen. They are told to move half the distance across the room toward the woman each time the bell is rung. Upon hearing these instructions the scientist immediately declares that the "whole thing is pointless because I will never get there" and proceeds to walk out. The engineer, rubbing his hands together, says "start ringing that bell, I'll get close enough"!
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; April 25th, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014   #20
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

FOTFLMAO!

Jeff, that is so true. It's the difference between theory and experimentation.

My cutoff is also very sharp. I dare say that it is sharper than the stock H4 lights. And I definitely can see more at night.

The stock lights were pathetically insufficient to the point of being dangerous.

We'll never win the debate that the HID's conversion kits are currently illegal for street usage because, they are.

What I'm arguing is that they are not as harmful or dangerous as some so-called "experts" are claiming IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

The other part of this is that the chances of being stopped and cited for this is next to nill. I've actually been stopped for speeding and nothing was mentioned about my lights.

So, I feel pretty safe. Also, I think that HIDs make me more visible during the daytime.

So, JZH, you can continue with your argument on the legality of the HIDs and I won't dispute that you are correct. But, you're not going to convince me to discontinue my lawless ways because I know that it makes me safer.

:-P
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote