ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > General Electrical, Fuse Holders, Switches

Old January 12th, 2014   #11
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Power distribution--Tinning the wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Why?
If you have a lot of wires spaced closely together in one of those blocks, and they arent tinned, you might get a short if the strands come loose on two ajacent wires.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014   #12
SinNH
Donators

Jeeze.
No large electrical loads on our ST's.
I always run a larger gauge wire than required, pay attention to the bend radius, and make sure all mechanical terminations are firmly torqued.
But not over torqued.
Remember they make crimp/solder on ferrules (pins) for that application if so inclined. Some are hollow.
SinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014   #13
JZH

Never thought about this, either, but I don't often use screw terminals on bikes. However, now that I think about it, I do recall seeing some screw-terminal applications where the wire is not tinned, but encapsulated in a very thin crimp terminal, before being inserted into the screw terminal. I think that is what Touratech does with their IMO computer connections (e.g., tachometer, wheel speed sensor, etc.).

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014   #14
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
If the Blue Sea does what you need stay with it.
In my opinion ring terminals are superior but spade terminals in the tight confines of the tail are going to be the way to go.
The limited room in the tail makes for a tight install of two fuse blocks.
The screw type wire holders are small and not easy to work with making the wiggle room just fitting the two difficult. Screw holders raise the difficult level substantially.
I like the Fuzeblock ability to use both switched and constant power in one but the 10amp limitation made for some difficult choices in a already wired system.

The bottom line is I have too much crap wired up even after two days of removing unused wiring. I need a more robust Fuzeblock or two smaller Blue Sea's. The search continues.

Paul
I attach the fuzeblock with heavy duty velcro, and leave the wires long enough so that I can detach the velcro and move the fuzeblock forward out of the tail to a more convenient location to work on the terminals. I add a few disposable zip ties to make everything secure.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014   #15
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
I attach the fuzeblock with heavy duty velcro, and leave the wires long enough so that I can detach the velcro and move the fuzeblock forward out of the tail to a more convenient location to work on the terminals. I add a few disposable zip ties to make everything secure.
That works for me, too.
It ain't pretty but I can pull the Blue Sea out to work on it.

I have a mount in the back for the Fuzeblock, that required removing the tool pouch (yep, they used to be included), but I haven't mounted it, yet.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014   #16
maura
Super Moderator

I do not tin wires in screw type terminals.
It reduces their holding power. The value of tinning is in joining two tinned things. when soldered they become 'one' .

Tinning a wire to put it to a a screw terminal reduces its holding power because under the compression of the screw the solder can detach from the wire and make the formerly tight connection loose. You may tin a tiny bit at the end to make the stranded wire more manageable, but that never seemed an issue with motorcycle wiring, if the end of the wire gets messy , I just cut it off and start again, I always leave enough play to do that.

2008 Honda ST1300
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
Old January 19th, 2014   #17
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That is what I've done. Excess wiring can be neatly moved under the rear seat latch and enough "added" to get the Fuzeblock to a work area out of the dark hole that is the tail.
Heavy duty Velcro works, 3M Dual Lock is to robust in it hold for the small size pieces needed and it pulls off instead of unhooking.

As far as tinning. I did not tin the wiring. This was not the "popular" response either here or on the LDR list. I did quite a bit of research on this question and found in high vibration areas such as the tail section of a motorcycle tinning is not recommend and the evil crimping is not as evil as "popular" opinion would suggest. Somewhere in the mountain of notes there is reference to the Coast Guard failing electrical inspections for soldered terminals and tinned wire ends. The tools used are the key and I have good tools.

As a show of absolute confidence in the quality of the work I rode deep into the middle of wilderness today to have one of May's World's Best Burger in beautiful downtown Cornudas.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/301/16...s-burger-photo

Success!!

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014   #18
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
If you have a lot of wires spaced closely together in one of those blocks, and they arent tinned, you might get a short if the strands come loose on two ajacent wires.
Any concern over loose wires can be addressed by a neat twist of the wire before insertion. Not enough security? Then go with a with a ferrule.

Strands do not 'become loose', loose strands are there when the connection is poorly made in the first place.

2008 Honda ST1300
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
Old January 21st, 2014   #19
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

When I crimp the ends on the terminals used in Honda connectors, I also solder them.

Just seems like the right thing to do.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014   #20
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Strands do not 'become loose', loose strands are there when the connection is poorly made in the first place.
Tinning the wires prevents a poorly made connection being made.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote