ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Lighting

Lighting Have you added High Intensity Display lights to your ST? Post a description and pictures here.

Old November 6th, 2012   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Aux. Driving Lights

After riding with some other FJRs and STs I have decided I want to install some auxiliary lighting. The additional lighting on the front of those bikes made them very conspicuous in both light and dark situations. I have no idea how much it improves their visibility but it definitely makes them more visible.

I have looked at the PIAA 910 mounted at the front fender, they are quite slick but again I don't know how much help they are to the rider. They are expensive.

I am asking for thoughts, impressions, opinions. Please, let me have the collective knowledge of the forum.
Old November 6th, 2012   #2
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aux. Driving Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
After riding with some other FJRs and STs I have decided I want to install some auxiliary lighting. The additional lighting on the front of those bikes made them very conspicuous in both light and dark situations. I have no idea how much it improves their visibility but it definitely makes them more visible.

I have looked at the PIAA 910 mounted at the front fender, they are quite slick but again I don't know how much help they are to the rider. They are expensive.

I am asking for thoughts, impressions, opinions. Please, let me have the collective knowledge of the forum.
The PIAA 910 is serious overkill for just making you more visible.
The low end bulb is 85w with a whopping 130w on the high end. Use caution when buying into the 85=130 hype, it does not.
The 910's are driving lights with a focused pattern that will singe the hair on Bambi at 75 yards. They are old technology, production was stopped at one time. They are heavy and take serious mounts. You fire off two 130w 910's and they will suck up nearly 1,000 rpm at idle.

If you are looking to light up the night road look at HID. Be advised HID is serious light and priced accordingly.

If you want to be seen look into LED.
http://www.realtimeindustries.com/ca...y=Honda/ST1300
Several flavors should make you seen and by moving up in lumen's, the 3200's should put light downrange.
I have not seen these in action as of yet but noticed a set being mounted of a 2013 FJR so I expect reports very shortly.

You need to decide what you want, to be seen or see through the night.
For night lighting you really need to ask yourself how much are you really riding in the night and just how much light can you actually use. Traffic and such will curtail serious light use. If you looking to be seen day and night something lower fork mounted in lower output LED will go a long way to making that happen.

I have 910's I would not buy them again today.
I would go with LED's on the lower fork to be seen and HID to light up the road deep into the night.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; November 6th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012   #3
gezus306

Way over kill. Unless you have the bigbucks to add the PIA's.
I have Blazers, 55w driving lamps on my front fender location.
They work. I am happy with the extra light. Made the mountting brackets myself. The amount ?..... $29.95 for the pair
gezus306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012   #4
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I concur with Paul, the HIDs headlights will make you conspicuous during the day and improve your ability to see at night.

That said, the PIAAs will shine just a bit farther down the road at night but, are not good during the day as they will blind oncoming traffic (night or day).

HID driving lights might be a better choice for night time riding and won't consume as much power. But again, they're not that good for daytime.

You might consider a headlight modulated for daytime riding. I had a Kisan unit on my ST1100 that worked well.

A combination of these solutions have been used to good effect. I converted my headlight to HID and mounted a set of PIAA 910s under my mirrors.

The HIDs are biXenon with hi/lo. Lo makes me conspicuous during the day without blinding oncoming traffic yet, at night the hi really brightens things up. Oncoming traffic, I go back to lo.

If I really need to see at night, go hi and flip the PIAA 910s on.

The 910s are old tech now. There are better lights that draw less power. I just already had these and their mounts.

Z
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012   #5
chaissos
Donators

Comments on this set??

http://www.electricalconnection.com/.../dl_st1300.htm

If someone has them, I'd like to hear a report. They look good, but I'm hesitant to drop $130 (probably plus shipping) on a tiny set of lights I know nothing about, and can't see first hand.

The positive is they come with all the wiring and mounts for the ST. I think they might do well for being visible, but probably too jittery on the front wheel for visibility.
Old November 6th, 2012   #6
Iamike
Loquacious Member

If you are looking for conspicuity, the amber or blue ones stand out better than white. I have projector beam type 55w fog lights. Unfortunately they don't help me see much better.
I did change out the stock headlights to 55/65w bulbs and that helps.
Old November 6th, 2012   #7
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Comments on this set??

http://www.electricalconnection.com/.../dl_st1300.htm

If someone has them, I'd like to hear a report. They look good, but I'm hesitant to drop $130 (probably plus shipping) on a tiny set of lights I know nothing about, and can't see first hand.

The positive is they come with all the wiring and mounts for the ST. I think they might do well for being visible, but probably too jittery on the front wheel for visibility.
Something like these with LEDs would be interesting to me.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012   #8
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

The EC style are where I would go.
The only problem I have with the EC setup is in the bulb. The front fork is going to be a high vibration area no matter how or where it is attached.
I think LED would be the way to go in high vibration areas.

If considering using any color other than white you will need to check with state authorities on legality. Many states do not allow any color other than white for headlights or in the headlight area.
The little blue bulbs that some were/have put in the headlight on the 1300 are not legal in Texas.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012   #9
chaissos
Donators

I, too, would prefer them in an LED configuration. Much more resistant to bouncing around.

When it comes to color, you can legally change the tone of the color, but not the color itself. Lots of newer cars are coming with lights that give off a hint of blue, and that you can do. In front, though, most states have it codified in law that the front is white, rear is red, front blinkers are amber, rear blinker are red/amber and markers follow suit. Long vehicles (trucks, trailers) will have amber markers at required intervals. Those intervals vary slightly by state, but they exist in the few I've looked into.

We had part of this discussion already with the gentlemen's rear turn/marker modification...I forget the post, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. The ST is set up for it already, just wire from the front blinker to the rear, and you're done...but it's not legal.
Old November 6th, 2012   #10
Haze

Thumbs up Re: Aux. Driving Lights

I have the Hella FF50 driving lights.
Mounted on the front forks at the reflector mounts similar to the EC setup.
I used a heavy "L" bracket for the mount.
Vibration has not been a problem.
Lots of light at night and visibility during the day.
Just keep them aimed low out of oncoming drivers line of sight.
SOLD

Last edited by Haze; November 6th, 2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: content adjustment
Haze is offline   Reply With Quote