ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Lighting

Lighting Have you added High Intensity Display lights to your ST? Post a description and pictures here.

Old October 21st, 2008   #21
hollywood91

Default Re: Headlight Modulator, Yes or No?

I don't use a modulator, but have riden with someone who does and it can be annoying/distracting in the mirrors. I prefer to run with my PIAA driving lamps on (mounted low on the forks) with high beams.
Ed
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008   #22
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

Yes, won't ride without one.

I've been riding for more than 35 years. I got my first modulator aroung 1980 or '81. In my experience, the modulator cuts down the frequency of people cutting me off, pulling out in front of me, etc. by a couple of orders of magnitude. (An order of magniture is a factor of 10. e.g., 100 -> 10-> 1 is two orders of magnitude.)

On occasions when I've bought a new bike, and didn't get a modulator on it right away, I've felt like I was target practice.

Yes, they can be annoying. I'd rather be annoying than dead. Nonetheless, if I'm riding in heavy traffic, following the same car for some period of time, I'll switch to low beam as a courtesy. Now, I've modulated both low and high, so when I switch to low beam I still have enhanced conspicuity.

I use comagination. They work very well, are reliable, the company offers good service, and they're relatively inexpensive. Stay away from Kriss. Poor performance, lousy reliabiliy, and the installation requires cutting wires.

Some say they fear the blinking light will be seen as an invitation to pull out. That's never happened to me. I've heard from some riders who normally ride with the modulator off and turn it on when approaching certain situations. I think THAT is much more likely to be seen as an invitation to pull out than a steadily modulating light.

I think there are also some misconceptions concerning modulators. Those who compare them with police lights, etc., don't understand the science behind them. First, modulators don't flash the headlights, they cylce them from dim to full brightness in, more or less, a smooth cycle. And they cycle much faster than police lights typically flash.

That fast cycle rate isn't an accident. The headlight modulator was developed by a motorcycle riding physician who, in doing research on the brain, noticed that the brain was "hardwired" to notice lights cycling at certain frequencies. What is the evolutionary reason for this is unclear, but when the optic nerve is stimulated by light cycling at these frequencies, the brain is simply incapable of ignoring it. Headlight modulators are required to cycle at 4 Hz (cycles per second). Research showed the optimium frequency is actually about 8Hz, but this tends to trigger seizures in some people. 4 Hz eliminates this risk, while still triggering the "see me!" response from the brain. If someone looks toward your bike and your headlight is modulating, and they say they didn't see you, they're lying.

Bob

Last edited by Blue STreak; October 24th, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008   #23
chudson019

I've got a Kisan mounted on both lights that I previously used on a VFR for about seven years. I only use it when trying to gain maximum visibility as when approahing intersections, viewing oncoming cars that might be turning, etc. I also find them rather irritating when left on constantly.

I agree with others who say that we should do everything we can to be seen.
chudson019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008   #24
SIDESHOWBOB_ST1300

For those of you that use modulators.....when and where do you use them? Do you use them in the city, on the highway....or are they always on no matter what? Just curious because i have a mod and use it sparingly and generally only on the highway.

Ssb_st1300
SIDESHOWBOB_ST1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015   #25
Catmandu2

I use modulators on my CB's full time. And,,, am about to order and install the same signal dynamics unit on my new to me ST. Without going into an in depth explanation of why they work,,, I will just say that those of us who use them will understand their effectiveness. And those who choose not too use them, never will. Mine have proven their worth several times,,, and demonstrate their desired effect every day. Not wishing to start a debate here. Just relating my experience over the past 4 years use. New order placed !! Cat'
Catmandu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015   #26
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu2 View Post
I will just say that those of us who use them will understand their effectiveness. And those who choose not too use them, never will. t'
How so? Have you managed to recreate an exact scenario with and without a modulator and crashed...
Old November 4th, 2015   #27
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 122 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

UK Law makes modulating headlights illegal:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
Regulation 13: Lamps to show a steady light

(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of
(a) a direction indicator;
(b) a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle;
(c) a warning beacon or special warning lamp;
(d) a lamp or illuminated sign fitted to a vehicle used for police purposes;
(e) a green warning lamp used as an anti-lock brake indicator; or
(f) lamps forming part of a traffic sign
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015   #28
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

In an extreemly rare event (pro motorcycle law) we actually passed laws to specifically allow them.

FMVSS 108
(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.

Title 49 USC 30103(b1)(US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; November 4th, 2015 at 08:55 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015   #29
bowtie39

Went the way several have gone.....added LED fork lights for the purpose of being seen. Several types these days and there are also amber lenses if that is what you want. Like the triangle affect of this arrangement. Plus it's more gadgets to add and have switches and all that cool stuff.
bowtie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015   #30
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 122 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

The daft thing in the UK is that you can fit a very bright modulating WHITE LED bicycle light to the front of yourself, the motorcycle rider, and a similar RED light to your back, because the said lights are NOT fitted to the actual motorcycle. Such lights CAN, by law, be fitted to the front and back of a bicycle. The twin lens front lights on my Bianchi road bicycle are expensive and astonishingly bright. They have three settings - full power, dimmed or modulating. I use the modulating option when in a town of village under street lighting. When it's dark and I'm out of street lighting areas, then the modulating option flashing on the road in front of me is somewhat distracting so I move to a steady light.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote