ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > General Electrical, Fuse Holders, Switches

Old March 12th, 2011   #11
Ranger Matt

Default Re: The ultimate farkle?

I commute on my ST, rain or shine, and use the time it takes to warm up the bike to suit up in my gear. The longest it has taken, in temps in the low 30's, was between 5 and ten minutes. On particularly cold days I let the bike idle a little longer.
In addition to gearing up I also use this time to ease into my ride. Better to get on the bike slowly then to rush into a ride, no "I have to leave now!" moments.
I did find that when I ride in the cold temps, that if the outside temp thermometer registers into the the low 30's then my engine temp no longer is indicated on the panel, even after a ten minute warm up and 20 minutes in to my 40 minute commute...go figure.
Have fun in the cold and rain. It always is a challenge but safe and slow riding in a down pour is either completely insane or some one who really loves to ride and loathes traffic!
I also leave my bike in gear just out of habit.
Rubber side down!
Ranger Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011   #12
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Matt View Post
I did find that when I ride in the cold temps, that if the outside temp thermometer registers into the the low 30's then my engine temp no longer is indicated on the panel, even after a ten minute warm up and 20 minutes in to my 40 minute commute...go figure .
Ranger Matt . . . If the engine temperature guage do not show any "bar" at all after ten minutes . . . it is probably because the thermostat is stuck open on your ST .

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011   #13
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 144 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Doesn't California have a no engine idling law?
That includes lawnmowers, autos etc., to prevent emissions.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013   #14
robertpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Matt View Post
I commute on my ST, rain or shine, and use the time it takes to warm up the bike to suit up in my gear. The longest it has taken, in temps in the low 30's, was between 5 and ten minutes. On particularly cold days I let the bike idle a little longer.
In addition to gearing up I also use this time to ease into my ride. Better to get on the bike slowly then to rush into a ride, no "I have to leave now!" moments.
I did find that when I ride in the cold temps, that if the outside temp thermometer registers into the the low 30's then my engine temp no longer is indicated on the panel, even after a ten minute warm up and 20 minutes in to my 40 minute commute...go figure.
Have fun in the cold and rain. It always is a challenge but safe and slow riding in a down pour is either completely insane or some one who really loves to ride and loathes traffic!
I also leave my bike in gear just out of habit.
Rubber side down!
I ride right through the cold season too. Had a great ride to Jacob K Javits bike show in Manhattan, NY this past Saturday. If you garage the bike, place it on the center stand. Use of the remote starter in this case should have the desired results. MY '05 idles fast for a minute or so too. I take off after a minute or so and but stay under 25 mph.
Ride Safe,
Robert
robertpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013   #15
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Doesn't California have a no engine idling law?
That includes lawnmowers, autos etc., to prevent emissions.
I don't know about Cali, but it sounds about right. That's seems to be where the majority of our tree-hugger laws start out. I know that Germany has a law like that. Not sure about the rest of Europe.
Old January 21st, 2013   #16
TimM

Family dies of CO poisoning after remote start fails in garage.

Some of us start on the negatives... what happens if you accidentally engage the start, like a butt dialed phone? If you're awake, probably not much; but if your kid plays with keys while you and the wife are snogging?

Personally, it has just never been that cold to worry about such things where I've lived (down to 17F +/-). And that was back when I had air cooled bikes (and no, the bike never got warmed up on the 30 minute ride to work).

And another trick for staying warm? Never put your jacket on inside the warm house. Always walk outside, let the cold air hit your skin, then put the jacket on. You'll stay much warmer.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013   #17
TimM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
I don't know about Cali, but it sounds about right. That's seems to be where the majority of our tree-hugger laws start out. I know that Germany has a law like that. Not sure about the rest of Europe.
If you lived in LA back in the 60's you'd understand why they are more tree hugger than most folk. You needed a butter knife to scrap smog scum off your windows. The rest was in your lungs. We lived on the coast, not inland where it piled up.

Living in the west valley in the 70's, I would look east and see the Burbank wall. And the wall looked, from my perspective, similar to photos of Beijings you see today. In any case, I didn't live in it, but I don't think I'd ever want to.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013   #18
chaissos
Donators

The point wasn't about Cali, the why's or the what's. It was about the laws. I can see more of those laws coming into effect around the country as our resources dry up, and I agree with them. Then, the dealer tells me I need to let the bike warm up fully before I ride. I disagree with that wholeheartedly. Just like any modern vehicle, the ST13 doesn't need more than a minute (or less) to get the fluids moving, and you can go. You don't rev the crap out of it, but ride it conservatively, until it's up to temp. Then it's ready for whatever may come. That's the basis for laws in some other places, not the smog effect, although that, too, is a valid concern. Motors today don't put out the pollution they used to, though, and vehicles that do pollute badly should be taken off the roadways.
Old January 21st, 2013   #19
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 144 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

The RD350 doesn't smoke?
Do you want it taken off the road?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013   #20
chaissos
Donators

Ha! I don't own the RD350 anymore, so I can't say I care. BUT...it never smoked excessively, anyway. A properly adjusted oil pump will ensure that's not a problem. Heck, the DS7 didn't smoke a lot, either (250cc 2-stroke twin).