ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself here, please.

Old August 4th, 2015   #11
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 83 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: reinstalling the headlight switch

Standard H4 bulbs will work if you cut one of the tabs off, or bend it out of the way.
Shims, that were required to do that to the 1100 are not required on the 1300.

It will be pretty clear once you have both bulbs in hand.
No finger prints on the new bulb.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015   #12
chaissos
Donators

No finger prints, no oils of any kind. They produce hot spots on the bulb, and lead directly to early end of life. I normally hold them with the little piece of plastic they're wrapped in, if you get that kind, otherwise, I grab a new piece of paper-towel, double it, and hold them that way.
Old August 10th, 2015   #13
frostty05

Dick,

Thanks for that, didn't know that our American cousins had only one light. The lights are good on my bike but I just want to make them a little crisper.

Mark

frostty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015   #14
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 119 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostty05 View Post
Dick,

Thanks for that, didn't know that our American cousins had only one light. The lights are good on my bike but I just want to make them a little crisper.

Mark

Hi Mark. The US bikes have the same headlamp layout as us but, because there is no full divider between the two lamps, it is regarded as a single headlight with two bulbs in it. And there are rules governing the output of a single headlight, so the bulbs are of a lower wattage than ours. So the US guys always look to upgrade their headlights to at least H4 standard. What I don't know is if they have the same reflector and lens pattern as ours. I doubt that they do because their dip beam pattern is a flat cutoff unlike our 'kicked up the left' pattern. Or the Europe 'kicked up to the right' pattern. I'm sure our US friends will come in with corrections to any errors I have made.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015   #15
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 83 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

We do use H4 bulbs but they are 45/45 and to ensure you don't mess with them their mounting tabs are a nonstandard layout.
Standard 55/60 H4 bulbs will fit our headlight fixture by removing, or bending, the tabs. Unlike the 1100 the 1300 does not require shims to hold the bulb correctly. You get much over 55/60 and you run the risk of hazing the clear and dulling the plastic chrome due to heat and the plastic composition of the light.

Due to signage in the U.S. we allow much more "scatter" than you guys do. We put our signs above the roadway or on poles at the side.

We have horrible lighting laws and even they are not enforced.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015   #16
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 144 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I believe that the reflectors also aim off to the opposite side, since UK drive on the wrong side of the road.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015   #17
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I believe that the reflectors also aim off to the opposite side, since UK drive on the wrong side of the road.
Maybe. I'd have to point it at a wall to see. A lot of manufacturer's are making lights that are flat, with no kick-up on either side. Those are legal everywhere.
Old August 11th, 2015   #18
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 119 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

That was Ligito having a joke at our expense in the UK!
In Europe they drive on the right, same as you guys do, so their headlights have a kick up to the right, a mirror image to ours in the UK. The kick up is to illuminate the edge of the road and road signage but not dazzle oncoming traffic on the other side of the road. Works well. However, if a UK bike is travelling in Europe, our left side kick up dipped beam would always dazzle oncoming traffic so we are obliged to fit blanking tape or deflectors to stop the left side kick up and present a USA style flat beam. I actually haven't done it for years and have never been pulled up by the police. But I tend not to motorcycle in Europe after dark.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS

Last edited by DickPeake; August 11th, 2015 at 03:43 PM.
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015   #19
chaissos
Donators

I got that. Lived in the UK (London, stationed at Alconbury - lived at RAF Wittering - and Mildenhall - lived on a farm down the road) for 15 years. I'm intimately familiar with the "problem".

But my statement stands. There are a lot of cars that don't kick up on either side. Saves manufacturer's some money - although not a lot, I'll bet. I'm willing to bet there are a few bikes that don't, either.

Edit: I actually learned to drive in London. Learned to ride there, too. Some say that's why I ride/drive like I do. I think I do pretty well.

Last edited by chaissos; August 11th, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015   #20
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
What I don't know is if they have the same reflector and lens pattern as ours. I doubt that they do because their dip beam pattern is a flat cutoff unlike our 'kicked up the left' pattern. Or the Europe 'kicked up to the right' pattern. I'm sure our US friends will come in with corrections to any errors I have made.
You are correct. I have all three headlamp units, with the Mainland Europe unit being currently fitted to my ST1300 in it's lonely storage place in Italy. The reflectors on US version are visibly different (there are no significant differences in the lenses) to the European version, due to the differences in headlight standards used in the two areas. All three versions are shown in the following three pics...I just wish I could remember which was which!

[Actually, looking at the pics again now, I can see that the lower unit in the first and third pics is the US-spec version, because it has clearly been used (the others were purchased new). The two "Euro-spec" units in the centre pic are of a similar design, but the angle of rotation of the bulbs is different, and the "kick-up zone" is on the opposite side in each. One of these should look like the one on your bike!]

Ciao,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000478.jpg (147.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1000487.jpg (155.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1000491.jpg (159.4 KB, 18 views)

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote