ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Lighting

Lighting Have you added High Intensity Display lights to your ST? Post a description and pictures here.

Old December 1st, 2013   #1
Luiggi ST
Donators

Default problems with headlight on dash adjuster knob

Hola a todos,

Ever since I got my Paloma a couple of years ago, I noticed that when turning the on dash knob for headlight adjustment, nothing would happen, nor a click nor a sound nor a movement of the light beam.

I did not put too much attention to it since most of my riding is during broad day time, but just recently I decided to take the Paloma to work since traffic during the evening it's getting worst, but since days are running short now I noticed that I needed better light to get home.

My headlights are kind of diving down, and the only way to have proper illumination of the road in front of me is using the high beams at all time, which I think is not so pleasant to oncoming traffic.

Is this adjustment knob and electric thing or is it mechanical? What should I be looking at in order to makenit to work again, I saw in the manual that there is a manual adjustment which you can use with a long screw driver reaching from underneath the front fairing but also I did not see the headlights moving upwards.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Saludos!
Luis
Old December 1st, 2013   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 102 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: problems with headlight on dash adjuster knob

Will the adjuster move the headlight downward? Or does it not work at all?

I know that even with the dash adjuster turned all the way up my headlight is still aimed ridiculously low.
Old December 2nd, 2013   #3
echo
The sky is falling...

You are right about the mechanical adjustment with a long screwdriver reaching upwards from underneath. Why its not working I dont know.

But....

Either you can get the low beams higher or the high beams lower sooner or later and that will solve the problem.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013   #4
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 83 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

The aiming motor is located between the two headlight bulbs on the back side of the unit.
Green (or could be) Gray 3 pin connector
Green wire -- Ground
Black/Brown -- 12 v
Light Green -- Power to headlight aiming switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlamp-adjustments.jpg (151.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Headlight aiming1.jpg (57.4 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by PaulRB; December 2nd, 2013 at 03:37 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013   #5
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Three items to address:

1. The picture has a critical error. The yellow circle highlights the mechanical adjuster that moves both headlights up and down together. In the picture the adjuster bolt/screw is pointing to 3 o'clock. On a normal ST 1300 this adjuster is pointing down to approximately 6:30 or 7:00 o'clock. In the picture there is no way to get a screwdriver or nut driver on it. Like the manual shows...you can get a JS or phillips head screwdriver in the center of that adjuster by coming up from underneath above the front wheel.

2. The adjustment is very fine and takes a lot of turns to affect a change in vertical movement of the headlight beams. A few turns will not move it enough to notice. If the light is directed onto a wall or garage door keep turning until you see it moving up or down. Be patient. Keep turning. The light beams should be adjusted so the dashboard knob can move the beam up and down in a range that is good for the rider and passenger/cargo load. Example: the beams may be set too low and High beam must be selected at all times. Move the adjuster up so the dashboard knob can then move the beams above and below an intermediate setting on the dashboard knob switch.

3. To ID a faulty motor check and see if the wire harness connector is even connected to the motor assembly. In the picture identify the male part of the wire harness connector behind the adjuster in the yellow circle. The receptacle is pointing down at the 5:00 o'clock position under the yellow word "adjust" in the picture. Is the wire harness even connected on your motorcycle? The female connector is light gray in color if I recall correctly. A fault that sometimes occurs is the motor will run up or down on it's own when the bike is switched on. A previous owner or technician may have disconnected the wiring to silence the motor assembly and the beams were left pointing very low. Even if the switch or motor assembly are faulty - reconnect the harness and use the dash knob to move the beams up higher then disconnect the wiring which will leave the beams in a higher position. Or fix the fault by replacing the entire assembly.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013   #6
Luiggi ST
Donators

Thank you all for your replies, I will review the harness connectors first, will apply some WD40 too in case they have some dirt and they are not properly seating, then will try the manual adjustment.

You are right Dave about the fact that it may take a lot of turns before you can see the beams moving, when I first tried the manual adjustment with the long screw driver, i did not see anything happening after probably 5 or 6 turns so I tought something was broken, will try again this weekend.

Gracias!!
Old November 29th, 2014   #7
Oldirtrider

My 2005 has the problem mentioned in #3. The headlight constantly is being adjusted vertically. Is their a seperate fuse that I can pull to disconnect the adjusting motor? If I time it correctly, I may be able to stop this constant movement near the middle of the arc.
Oldirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014   #8
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 144 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a dirty contact.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote