ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Lighting

Lighting Have you added High Intensity Display lights to your ST? Post a description and pictures here.

Old April 29th, 2014   #31
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Headlight Assembly Removal

Perhaps the difference we're seeing here in the U.S. is due to the US version of the ST1300's reflectors as opposed to your UK version?

I don't think anyone has done a true comparison of an HID mounted in the two of them side-by-side. I do know that some riders have converted to the UK version here in the states but, not for an HID.

BTW, I am not using Futurvisions.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014   #32
Garry in AZ

JZH,

Since you asked, my capsules do have a cap over the end. Here is a photo of the HID bulb installed in my ST1300.

I respect your right to your opinion, and in turn, I hope you respect the opinions of those with entirely different views. I have no desire to further the debate, and I remain a strong advocate of my lighting setup. This will be my last post on the subject, simply because I believe there has been enough information in this thread for anyone interested in the topic to form their own opinions as to what or what not, to use.

Garry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST 006 (Medium).JPG (127.8 KB, 41 views)

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014   #33
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

BTW, mine have caps over the ends too.

I'm with Garry. I think I've had my say as well.

Later...
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014   #34
Blue One

Jeff and I have had our say as well (on this and other threads on the subject), we just haven't had as much to say as JHZ.

But in the end we said more

Last edited by Blue One; April 30th, 2014 at 06:05 AM.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014   #35
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Perhaps the difference we're seeing here in the U.S. is due to the US version of the ST1300's reflectors as opposed to your UK version?

I don't think anyone has done a true comparison of an HID mounted in the two of them side-by-side. I do know that some riders have converted to the UK version here in the states but, not for an HID.
That doesn't seem very likely to me. I have not had my UK-spec headlamp unit apart (as I have taken the US-spec one apart), but I have examined it closely, and given that the DOT-spec beam pattern is less defined than Euro-spec (and allegedly includes a requirement to illuminate overhead road signs), I would ordinarily expect more glare from a US-spec headlamp unit than a Euro-spec or UK-spec--even with regular H4s. Moreover, I have seen plenty of US-spec HID glare photos, so it's not exactly an unknown phenomenon in the USA.

But I would welcome anyone putting together some kind of objective test using an ST1300 headlamp unit. Unfortunately, none of the HID advocates will do this, because they just don't want to know...

I've found some test results of various older HID conversion kits, and although I do not understand exactly what they were testing (because it apparently depends on coordinates provided in an official standard), it is clear that the HIDs they tested generally provided too much light in several different tested areas (which areas would have depended on the particular reflector and/or lens being tested). Obviously, these tests are more extensive than simply shining the beam onto a wall, though if something is bad enough, it may also be visible from doing that...

Below is a slightly suspect set of pics (slightly suspect because no conversion kit could really be that bad):

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014   #36
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

It is not a requirement for overhead signage but it is a reason we allow what they call scatter.

I was always under the impression that the very sharp cut-off on e-spec lighting was due in part to a physical blocking on the pattern by a bracket (not sure what it is called) internal to the reflector housing.

I don't particularly care for the sharp cut-off line.
When these lights are behind you the constant "flashing" in the mirrors can be quite annoying.
You might get used to it I have no idea but when but the e-spec cars I see here I do not like their beam pattern. U.S. spec vehicles have a lot of light in the mirrors but if any care at all was taken the "hot spot" is not high enough to be bothersome in the mirrors.
With that said we have way to many that could care less and the kits are put in the quick and easy way and no adjustment is done.
It's real easy to get away with it simply because we no longer check headlights, other to insure both beams work, in those states that do safety inspections.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote