ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > General Electrical, Fuse Holders, Switches

Old February 19th, 2014   #1
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Faulty ignition switch.

Anyone had a problem with theirs. If I wiggle the key in the on position I can get the Fi light to go on and off.
The problem started when I found occasionally Id turn the key to 'on' and it wouldnt turn over on the starter button, upon closer inspection the Fi light wasnt coming on, since then I have discovered that very slight wiggling of the key in the 'on' position can cause the Fi light to switch on and off. i'm guessing there is a dirty contact in the switch at the end of the key, any advice on cleaning or access?
Ta.
Old February 19th, 2014   #2
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: Faulty ignition switch.

Sounds like maybe a good flushing out with a plastic safe spray contact cleaner might be in order. Had a similar issue with the kill switch. Any accidental touch when underway would cause a momentary shut down. Cleaned it all out and no more problems.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014   #3
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
Sounds like maybe a good flushing out with a plastic safe spray contact cleaner might be in order. Had a similar issue with the kill switch. Any accidental touch when underway would cause a momentary shut down. Cleaned it all out and no more problems.

I had the same problem on one of my ST1100's once. Loosened up the kill switch, sprayed it with Radio Shack contact cleaner, and I never had the problem repeat. I use to carry a small can of the stuff when I'd go on trips but never needed to use it.
My Facebook Page

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014   #4
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

This is definitely the keys switch, I'll go and see if I can video it.
Old February 22nd, 2014   #5
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
Sounds like maybe a good flushing out with a plastic safe spray contact cleaner might be in order.
Well it appears to have done the trick, a liberal spraying of WD40 down the key hole and associated bits n gaps and its faultless now.