ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > General Electrical, Fuse Holders, Switches

Old January 23rd, 2014   #1
MiliMyk

Default Adding a new gps unit

Own a ST1300 2012.

Would like to install a proper wiring on it. It is easy to find a negative wire. But any diagram or picture of where to hook up the positive wire.

You will be mostly granted to show me!
MiliMyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014   #2
MiliMyk

Need the unit to shut down when the key is turn off.
Old January 23rd, 2014   #3
Haze

Default Re: Adding a new gps unit

Wire into the Quartet Harness located on the left side under the Tupperware.
There are 4 open (factory) connectors with fused switched and unswitched sockets.

Search for Quad harness or Quartet harness for location and installation write ups.
SOLD

Last edited by Haze; January 23rd, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014   #4
Blue Bayou

I mounted my Tom Tom wiring into the front running lights.... on when the key is turned on, off when key is off, and doesn't draw much power.
Blue Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014   #5
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
Wire into the Quartet Harness located on the left side under the Tupperware.
There are 4 open (factory) connectors with fused switched and unswitched sockets.

Search for Quad harness or Quartet harness for location and installation write ups.
The Quartet harness is an optional item , if you do not have it already , you would have to buy it, or a honda connector that will connect into the connector on the bike intended for the Q harness. You could tap into a wire that goes TO the Q harness connection, but you would have to figure out which one. There are hot wires, ignition only wires and acc wires. Plus grounds. Grounds are always green. The Q harness location usually requires removing of plastic, I would not want to do that if I did not have to. I would look carefully at the easiest to get at wires, close to your intended location for your GPS , find a likely candidate, then research what it is and see if it will work.

Another option, good if you are planning other accessories, is to come direct off the battery to a fuse block and a relay, with the relay powered off the easy to get at wires in the OEM fuse location, then run wires from that forward to the GPS.

Being a belt and braces kind of gal, I have done both the Q harness power to GPS and adjacent other things , plus the fuse block to power to to other stuff.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014   #6
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiliMyk View Post
Own a ST1300 2012.

Would like to install a proper wiring on it. It is easy to find a negative wire. But any diagram or picture of where to hook up the positive wire.

If you don't use the Honda quartet harness, you could hook the positive wire direct to the battery rather than splicing into the nearest positive wire. Make sure you have an inline fuse in it if that is the way you go.

An even better way to do what you want if no quartet harness is used is to make your own switched circuit to hook the GPS to. That way, if you forget to turn your GPS unit off, you won't run the ST's battery down. The way this is done is to use a switched relay to provide power to a fuse box, then run wires from the fuse box to whatever you want to power. This is shown in the pictures in the link below:

http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=3514

If you've never done anything like this, or are a newbie at hooking up electrical stuff, you might want to read the write-up I did for my other bike to get an idea of the basics. I documented the process with a little more detail than I did with the ST. It's not a lot more detailed but may help fill in some knowledge gaps:

http://users.hal-pc.org/~mmcham/bandit_elec.pdf

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014   #7
MiliMyk

You guys amaze me! Thank you all. I'll keep you posted on it! Nice descriptive pictures Mick!
Old January 24th, 2014   #8
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Adding a new gps unit

I powered my GPS off of the ACC fuse under the left side cover and just connected the negative to a spot on the frame nearby. I connected my starcom to the exact same points in order to minimize any ground loop interference possibilities. Works great and the ACC fuse is powered off with the key, on in the ON or ACC key positions.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote