ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Helmets

Helmets Do you have a favorite helmet? Put your reviews of it here.

Old November 10th, 2008   #1
RIDERBUD

Default Nolan n-103 helmet

Hey, Guys,

Has anyone had any experience with the Nolan N-103 helmet? I am interested in this helmet. Specifically, I am interested in the flip-up/down sun shield -and- how does the fit compare to Shoei? I wear a large in the Shoei and am wondering if the Nolan, size-wise, runs the same.

Thanks for your input.

RiderBud
RIDERBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008   #2
mariowink

Default Re: Nolan n-103 helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDERBUD View Post
Hey, Guys,

Has anyone had any experience with the Nolan N-103 helmet? I am interested in this helmet. Specifically, I am interested in the flip-up/down sun shield -and- how does the fit compare to Shoei? I wear a large in the Shoei and am wondering if the Nolan, size-wise, runs the same.

Thanks for your input.

RiderBud
I have an VERY old Shoei and also would like some feedback on the flip up Nolan. Just curious, why do you want something other than the Shoei? Is yours not the flip up?

Mario τΏ~
Old November 11th, 2008   #3
jimjam
Donators

I have an N-100E and an N-103, both size L. The 100E was about the only modular chinbar available in '03 that would work with my Autocom. The 103 was an "upgrade" for me, leaving the 100 for infrequent passengers. Both have worked great for me. I usually ride with the "flip" open - they're both a lot more noisey with it closed - and my windshield well below eye level. Consequently, the tinted overshield is almost never used. Latches and hardware have been flawless, and the fit is fine for me. Nolan is a top notch lid IMHO, and I recommend it. My previous HJC-CL5 in large was a little loose with a fresh haircut. Don't buy anything until you check the fit for the brand you think you want - then shop for price, etc.
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008   #4
RIDERBUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowink View Post
I have an VERY old Shoei and also would like some feedback on the flip up Nolan. Just curious, why do you want something other than the Shoei? Is yours not the flip up?

Mario τΏ~
Mario, You have some good questions.

In July, August and part of September, the days are so long that even when checking into a motel at 6 p.m., you can still be wearing the dark sunglasses you have been wearing all day and see well. Because I ride all year, serious situations arise concerning daylight. You are riding along at 4:30 p.m. and in 15 minutes it is completely dark. I am all too frequently on roads with no place to pull over, no shoulder, nothing. Then I find myself riding blind.

I very much like my Shoei RF-1000, but the Nolan N-103 has an internal flip-up/down sun shield. In addition, I want a flip-up helmet to enable me to jump off the bike quickly to take photos because I am an avid photog and ride in usually beautiful places. So I think the Shoei for spring and summer, the Nolan for fall/winter when the light is very spotty.

RiderBud
Old November 11th, 2008   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Yep, I've been spoiled ever since I tried the Schuberth Concept with its flip-down sun visor.

What I look for in a flip-up helmet is comfort first (some don't fit my head or face). Then I check to see if the chin-bar catches/latches are made of metal or plastic. I won't buy anything that is just flimsy plastic.

But then I look for the sun visor and any other features like pop-forward visor for some fresh air while the whole visor is still "closed" (only seen with a Schuberth Concept and C2 so far). Venting is important to me.

Noise is less important as I wear earplugs and the windshield is adjustable.

I also don't worry about weight that much as most helmets are about the same. Although the new Schuberth C3 is supposed to be the lightest and quietest flip-up on the planet.

However, if it doesn't fit your head or your pocketbook, it's not for you.

Right now, the C3 isn't available in the U.S. although there are some online dealers who will ship it to you.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008   #6
RIDERBUD

Guys,

Thanks for the valuable information re the Nolan N-103. It reaffirms my belief in the helmet. I do think I am going to get one soon.

RiderBud
Arlington, Virginia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALEXIS - BAY BRIDGE TUNNEL 10-17-08 034.jpg (84.8 KB, 149 views)
Old November 13th, 2008   #7
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Cool picture.

You have given me an idea, though. One thing I use the sun visor for all the time is as a "sun screen" like on a ball cap. I don't pull it down all the way because in the Seattle area, it usually doesn't get that bright. However, I do want to shade the direct sun.

However, when I go on a trip to a more locale (like the deserts of Nevada), I find I need more than just the sun visor and may also use sun glasses.

What I'm thinking of doing now is to take one of my extra sun visors from an old Concept helmet and trim it smaller than what it is now. Then, glueing it to the inside top edge of the sun visor in my current C2 so that it is darker at the top.

If it works like I envision, it will be darker at the top but, I won't see that part unless I drop it all the way down (like on a really day). Clapping

Farkle-TIME!
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; November 13th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008   #8
Turner

RiderBud, I have a nolan flip up and it just did;nt feel or fit right so i put it on the shelf and got a shoie flip up and i love it .More money but worth it. I also did:nt think the sun sceen worked that great. So if you wear a XL I have one.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011   #9
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I hate to revive an old thread but... My dad (and FJR rider) wears the N-103 and loves it. It goes without saying that every head is different, but the fit and finish of the N-103 is excellent. The integrated sun shield is wonderful, it is an improvement over the N-102, it goes lower. The quick buckle in place of the D-rings is fantastic. We bought the N-103 when he crashed wearing the N-102. The helmet was closed when he wrecked and stayed closed, some warping of the shell was observed but it did it's job well. We were so pleased with the crash performance that there was never a doubt that his next lid would be a Nolan. I am always jealous while wearing my budget HJC.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011   #10
Hellbilly

I had a Nolan N-103 and wore it for about 3 months. The internal visor was good, as was the flip up chin bar. However, it was very heavy, noisy, and didn't fit well. I wear an XL but the Nolan had a weird shape... pressure on top of the head and my chin was damn near touching the chin bar. I ordered it online after trying one on at a local dealership. I would recommend wearing one around the dealership for more than 10 minutes before buying.

My Shoei RF-1100 is a much better fit, is lighter and quieter.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote