ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Helmets

Helmets Do you have a favorite helmet? Put your reviews of it here.

Old August 4th, 2014   #1
ibike2havefun

Default Speed and Strength SS1700 modular

Hi all-

So I got a new Speed & Strength SS1700 helmet about a month ago, and apart from the first time I tried to open it it's been firmly stuck in the fully-latched position. Can't budge the thing and it feels like the release slider isn't fully / properly attached to the rest of the mechanism. I tried removing all the padding sections to see whether I could see the latch itself- no joy.

It's going back to the online seller (I hope- dangerously near to the point-of-no-return because I dwadled and delayed in calling to check what the deal is) but I'm curious whether anyone else has this model and whether you've had a problem with it.
Now to try to wear it out.

Last edited by ibike2havefun; August 4th, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014   #2
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Speed and Strength SS1700 modular

Never heard of it but, any helmet that only costs $175 bucks would be on my suspect list right away.

We have a saying among MSF Instructors, "If you have a $100 dollar head, get $100 dollar helmet".

My head is worth more than that to me.

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
Hi all-

So I got a new Speed & Strength SS1700 helmet about a month ago, and apart from the first time I tried to open it it's been firmly stuck in the fully-latched position. Can't budge the thing and it feels like the release slider isn't fully / properly attached to the rest of the mechanism. I tried removing all the padding sections to see whether I could see the latch itself- no joy.

It's going back to the online seller (I hope- dangerously near to the point-of-no-return because I dwadled and delayed in calling to check what the deal is) but I'm curious whether anyone else has this model and whether you've had a problem with it.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
We have a saying among MSF Instructors, "If you have a $100 dollar head, get $100 dollar helmet".
;-)

This will certainly date me.
I remember this as a Bell Helmet advertisement and it said
"If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet"
The ad was aimed straight at Buco Helmets and K-Mart, at the time the largest retailer west of the Mississippi.
Keep in mind a new Bell Star, state of the art in road racing headgear, cost less than $100 at the time.

Texas, among a host of other states, had no helmet law at the time.
You could not sell even a $10 helmet at the time.
Only those that had actually used a helmet for it's intended purpose wore a helmet on the street.
You knew who they were you rode with them regularly.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014   #4
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
This will certainly date me.
I remember this as a Bell Helmet advertisement and it said
"If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet"
The ad was aimed straight at Buco Helmets and K-Mart, at the time the largest retailer west of the Mississippi.
Keep in mind a new Bell Star, state of the art in road racing headgear, cost less than $100 at the time.

Texas, among a host of other states, had no helmet law at the time.
You could not sell even a $10 helmet at the time.
Only those that had actually used a helmet for it's intended purpose wore a helmet on the street.
You knew who they were you rode with them regularly.

Paul
That's how I remember it, $10.
I bought a $9.99 helmet at a GI Joe's sidewalk sale, then, I bought a Shoei full face helmet.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014   #5
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, no experience with the Speed and Strength brand other than noticing their bold ads in the motorcycle mags.

I have had experience with HJC, Nolan and Shoei modular and have never had a problem like yours. The HJC and one of the Nolans have been through bike totaling crashes and the latch mechanism still functioned on both helmets.
Old August 6th, 2014   #6
ibike2havefun

Hi-

Thanks, all.

Does a $500 helmet offer 2.5 times as much protection to your head than a $200 jobbie? Or 2.5 times as much comfort, convenience, and durability? Is it not true that any DOT-certified helmet that meets the safety standards should offer equivalent levels of protection? That's certainly been my premise but I could be convinced otherwise if you can point me in the direction of compelling evidence to the contrary.

Other features, such as weight, durability, comfort, convenience, and (yes) style do enter into the consideration but is there really any evidence that less expensive helmets are actually any less protective than higher-dollar brands and models? Obviously the comparison has to be between similar models: comparing a "brain bucket" against a full-face model wouldn't be especially informative, for example.

Perhaps the crux is that a $200 model is 2.5 times more likely to have a manufacturing or design defect (such as I am experiencing) than a pricier one, in which case lesson learned on my part.

The arguments and opinions run exactly the same way in the world of bicycle helmets, where I have decades of experience, by the way. At some point the price seems to be more about style, cachet, and branding than about basic personal safety or features.

As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old August 6th, 2014   #7
ibike2havefun

Hi-

I did a little Googling and found this comparison of the safety of seven modular helmets (exactly the kind of thing I was looking for):

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/sev...lmets-compared

Although they didn't include my helmet in the testing (it may not have existed five years ago when the tests were done) it did provide some insights and info about other brands mentioned in this thread. And, most importantly to me, it tells me that the differences in the helmets and price points has more to do with features, overall quality, and long-term durability than with the level of protection offered.

So, it appears to be a value-for-the-money decision: I'm not risking my brain appreciably more with a lower-cost helmet than with the fancier and more costly options; I'm just choosing to live with things that might ultimately annoy me more.

Thanks again!

Old August 6th, 2014   #8
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Motorcyclist magazine performed a very detailed comparison of helmets a few years ago. They mechanically "crashed" helmets from as many manufacturers as they could and compared actual scientific results.

The end result was that one of the cheapest helmets in the test performed the best. The winner was a no-name, unheard of helmet that cost about a hundred dollars.

I choose a helmet for its features, quality, and comfort. I am fairly confident that all of the DOT approved helmets are going to protect me in a crash.

The $10 head/$10 dollar helmet is good marketing but is not reality. The reality is you pay for greater comfort and quality. I have been happy in an HJC. I have been happier in a Nolan. I have been even happier in my Shoei Neotec. I am willing to pay for that happiness.
Old August 6th, 2014   #9
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Yes, as long as there is a DOT "sticker" on the helmet, it supposedly will provide the same protection.

Obviously, a full face helmet will provide more protection for the face than a 3/4 face helmet or a flip-up.

The rest of the $ you are paying is for features and the brand name.

But, the helmet you are asking about is quite a bit cheaper than most others.

That worries me.

Most flip-up helmets start around the $300 range and go up from there.

I have to wonder why the one you are looking at is soooo much cheaper.

Just something I think you should consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
Hi-

I did a little Googling and found this comparison of the safety of seven modular helmets (exactly the kind of thing I was looking for):

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/sev...lmets-compared

Although they didn't include my helmet in the testing (it may not have existed five years ago when the tests were done) it did provide some insights and info about other brands mentioned in this thread. And, most importantly to me, it tells me that the differences in the helmets and price points has more to do with features, overall quality, and long-term durability than with the level of protection offered.

So, it appears to be a value-for-the-money decision: I'm not risking my brain appreciably more with a lower-cost helmet than with the fancier and more costly options; I'm just choosing to live with things that might ultimately annoy me more.

Thanks again!
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014   #10
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Yes, as long as there is a DOT "sticker" on the helmet, it supposedly will provide the same protection.

Obviously, a full face helmet will provide more protection for the face than a 3/4 face helmet or a flip-up.

The rest of the $ you are paying is for features and the brand name.

But, the helmet you are asking about is quite a bit cheaper than most others.

That worries me.

Most flip-up helmets start around the $300 range and go up from there.

I have to wonder why the one you are looking at is soooo much cheaper.

Just something I think you should consider.
"Yes, as long as there is a DOT "sticker" on the helmet, it supposedly will provide the same protection."

DOT rates helmets that meet the minimum requirements to satisfy DOT compliance, so it may not provide the same protection, just enough to meet DOT requirements.

"Most flip-up helmets start around the $300 range and go up from there."

Flip-up helmets are available for under $100, just peruse Cyclegear.com.
Bilt helmets, as well as Speed and Strength are cheaper helmets that meet DOT requiremements.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote