ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Helmets

Helmets Do you have a favorite helmet? Put your reviews of it here.

Old July 12th, 2011   #11
ralphn0
Donators

Default Re: Interesting article about potential issue with Symax II helmets....

I bought and sold my C3!!! I bought it from company overseas before they were available here in the USA. The helmet has several flaws (the inner visor would NOT stay attached) and I could NOT get any help from the factory or the distributor!!!!!! This was about 5 months after I received it and it was suppose to covered under warranty. I had the original Concept version which was great till it just began to disinergrate. The foam and plastic linner literally disolved itself. I still liked the C3 helmet but after I couldn't get any help from them, I got rid of it. I will not buy anything like that from overseas again, till I receive a written notice saying they will honor ALL warranty items. I will still ask for the names of the sales AND management people that I will be able to communicate with in English. I talked with the NEW Distributor in the US about the problem and he acknowledged the warranty and defects but would NOT honor the warranty because it was not sold through them. If I pay $350.00 he would give me a "deal". Boy what a "DEAL"!! NOT ME!! Good Luck if you buy one.
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011   #12
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Hi Dick,

As you know, every accident is different. This is just one example that I can give.

I went down on my right shoulder (first) and then impacted my face in 2002 up in Alaska. This was with a Schuberth Concept helmet (the original).

The face shield shattered but, the chin bar stayed in place and the helmet protected my head just fine.

My shoulder wasn't so good, though. Broken Scapula and 4 cracked ribs plus an injured ACL. A few years later, I also found out that I had ruptured a disc in my neck.

We think that my rear tire had hit a slick spot (probably oil) after a light rain and I high-sided. Not fun.

As far as noise goes, I wear custom ear plugs anyway so, that isn't an issue for me. Grinding my face off in an accident is an issue, though.

I'll stick with the Schuberth flip-ups with metal chinbar fasteners over plastic P.O.S. fasteners any day.

A full face helmet is for sure going to protect your face from road rash. But, here is an example where a Flip-up also did it's job.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011   #13
echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
In a former life, I once went to a motorcycle accident where the guy had an open face helmet and came off on the approach to a sharp bend with a pub on one side and the entrance to the pub car park sort of straight on if you didn't make the bend. He surfed on into the car park area on his front and face. I have to say, it wasn't a nice sight. He didn't have much of a chin and mouth left - just a horrible hole. I kept him face down until the ambulance got to us so's he could breath but then he could also see the amount of claret leaking out of him as well. I see someone with an open face helmet - I see that face from 30 years ago!
I am the mentor at work for a lot of 50 somethings riding a motorcycle for the first time in their lives. I always say "FF helmet!"

Well Dan had an accident and slid on his face for 50 yards or so. With his 3/4 helmet. Lucky for him it had a face shield and he didnt get erased like the guy you mention.

The word got out to the 50 somethings after that.
Old July 14th, 2011   #14
bignslo

I wear an Arai Corsair FF. When I got back into street riding I was overwhelmed with the selection, when I asked my buddy "How much should I spend on a helmet?" He replied " How much do you value your head?" So I bought the best! I was wearing it when I broke my neck and leg 5 years ago and still wear it today.....Hardly a scratch....If something moves in a helmet it can come apart.....FF's don't move
05 ST1300A, 03 KLR250,06 Yamaha Stratoliner wrecked good and gone, 70Trail90 long gone, YZ460 that I would like to forget and long gone, & 77 KZ1000 one nice bike for the times gone, 70 Kawi H1 500 triple wheelie bike gone, and 1st bike 72 Yamaha 175 enduro traded away
bignslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011   #15
Iamike
Loquacious Member

A buddy witnessed a fatal where a Goldwing lost control and high-sided. The rider went over the handlebars and landed face first with his HJC CL-Max. He said the chin bar exploded on impact but figured the guy (around age 70) quite possibly died from internal injuries more than the face impact.

I quit using my CL and bought a Nolan N103. It has metal latches and the cool flip down shades.
Old July 15th, 2011   #16
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignslo View Post
I wear an Arai Corsair FF. When I got back into street riding I was overwhelmed with the selection, when I asked my buddy "How much should I spend on a helmet?" He replied " How much do you value your head?" So I bought the best! I was wearing it when I broke my neck and leg 5 years ago and still wear it today.....Hardly a scratch....If something moves in a helmet it can come apart.....FF's don't move
I hope you're not wearing the exact same Corsair you were wearing when you broke your neck.Visible scratches or not, if your helmet hit something hard enough that the crash forces broke your neck, that helmet is used up.

The primary safety material, as far as absorbing impact, is expanded polystyrene, AKA Styrofoam. It's a one-time-use item. The impact forces cause the material to crush, and it only crushes once. The next time you have an impact to the same part of the helmet, the compressed polystyrene won't compress any more, and won't absorb any impact forces.

In addition, even if you can't see any damage to the helmet shell, it could well suffer from internal delamination of the multiple layers that make up the shell. That weakens it, and another impact could cause it to fail completely.

Arai will, I'm pretty sure, x-ray your helmet and check it for safety at no cost to you, other than the cost to ship it to them. Either send it off to them for testing, or buy yourself a new one. If you value your head enough to spend the money on an Arai, then you should value it enough to replace a helmet that's been "used."
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011   #17
echo

I dunno. If he broke his neck and STILL wears a helmet more power to him!