ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Communications

Old October 6th, 2008   #1
Deano
Donators

Default Cardo Communication

Message 1 of 8 in Discussion From: Ozstryder (Original Message)Sent: 11/25/2007 3:31 PM Has anyone tried the Cardo Systems Inc. "Scala Rider Teamset"? It's wireless helmet communication between rider and passenger and also has bluetooth capabilities for cell phones, gps's, etc. They also make a single helmet system and also a single helmet system with fm radio. Priced right online, if they are any good! Here's there link. http://cardowireless.com/riderproducts.php

First Previous 2-8 of 8 Next Last Reply
Recommend Message 2 of 8 in Discussion From: uwillieSent: 11/27/2007 3:42 PM I have the solo Cardo Rider FM. It works well with my bluetooth cell phone, and it will also work with the Zumo 550. It has two drawbacks in my experience with it. One is that its battery life is quite a bit shorter than most of my trips at about an hour and a half max. The other is that its audio quality is only good for phone. Even if it is configured with two earpieces, the program material is mono, and there is very little audio bandwidth. Hope this helps. I just bought an Autocom.
UW

Recommend Message 3 of 8 in Discussion From: nm6rSent: 11/27/2007 4:22 PM +1 on the Autocom.

Don't make the same mistake some of us have made. Do it right the first time and be done with it.

Ray

Recommend Message 4 of 8 in Discussion From: OzstryderSent: 12/1/2007 7:18 AM Thanks uwillie and nm6r for you input. You probably saved me some money!!

Recommend Message 5 of 8 in Discussion From: BlackjeepSent: 12/2/2007 4:51 AM I have the Scala Rider Teamset.

I have not had it on long rides yet, but I do use it every day to and from work, each way being about 30 minutes. I usually charge it on friday nights, knowing that I won't get to much out of it if I go for a ride on saturday.

I got it so that I could take calls and listen to audio files stored on my phones memory stick, and it does that quite well, with the drawback of sound quality. The speakers sound tinny, and even adjusting the equalizer in my phone, it still sounds poor. But it does the job to an acceptable level ((rarely is "acceptable" good enough for me, but in this case, otherwise is cost prohibitive)) and I don't see me changing to another model/brand anytime soon.

I do wish the sound were better, and sometimes during a conversation with my wife, it will cut out and I have to re-activate the mic with a "burst" of sound.

Recommend Message 6 of 8 in Discussion From: CarpetResQSent: 9/26/2008 4:50 PM I have been using the chatterbox with mixed results. The audio is ok, but the interface with my phone and ipod is a little weak How is the autocom with multiple devices? If you are listening to the ipod and the phone rings is it easy to switch to the call and then back to the music?
Chad

Recommend Message 7 of 8 in Discussion From: dgtxcop1Sent: 9/27/2008 5:21 AM i got the team set about 3 months ago, worked pretty could once we figured out how to work them.

they just came out with a new team set that has fm and u can hook your mp player in some how
i'm going to give them a look, i would really like the radio i think.

Recommend Message 8 of 8 in Discussion From: jwpSent: 9/28/2008 6:47 PM i have starcom with xm, radar detector, and gps hooked in , works great it has vox for helmet to helmet the radar detector only comes to the rider. sound quality is great and there is a lot of tuning variations

"Ain't nothing stoppin us now but the leavin' of it all"

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Sold)
2008 ST1300A "Scarlet" (Glory Red is the Fastest)
2008 Kaw C14 (Sold)
2003 ST1300 (RIP)
15 years in No Bike Land
1986 Nighthawk S (sold)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008   #2
HLNAZZ

Smile Re: Cardo Communication

I've got the teamset & love it for 2 up or solo. We've had several 8 hour days on the road & had no shortage of power. That was with a fully charged pair at the start of each days trip. Played the XM through a dongle and used the mp3 player (Zumo 550) most of the days, and even left the intercomm on steady instead of VOX. Phone works great also (through the Zumo). I have nothing but good words for the Scala Rider Teamset, even the audio is bearable through the windnoise. ------Jay

07 ST1300
05 Silverwing
02 BMW K1200RS
96 BMW 1100RT
05 MINI COOPER CONV

HLNAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008   #3
fredz43

Default Re: Cardo Communication

I have had an Autocom setup on my ST's and it works fine for listening to my Sirius radio and radar alert. I recently did a 2300 mile ride with my son, each riding our own bikes and we decided to try the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 sets so we could communicate with each other.

First off, they are very easy to install, with very thin speakers. We had to read the instructions a couple of times to make sure we understood the setup and operation, but it is fairly simple. In the end, we both really liked the Q2's, as we were able to talk to each other over the 5 days of riding. I also used the built in FM receiver tuned to the Sirius radio's FM output and it worked very well. My son has a Bluetooth enabled phone and he was able to make and receive calls while we travelled. When we got back, I also ordered a Bluetooth phone as I think that would be very handy. The VOX activation for communication worked very well and it would overide the radio when my son came on. We could talk back and forth while it was in this mode. If we both stopped talking for about 30 seconds, it would revert back to the radio. We twice travelled 11 hour days and found the units lasted a bit over 10 hours per charge. We charged them overnight with the supplied chargers.

As soon as these units arrived, and before we could install them, we saw that Cardo offered a newer unit with MP3 input jack. I hurriedly ordered 2 of them, thinking I could also listen to my MP3 player. Upon reading the instructions, however, we found that the unit's vulume control does not control the MP3 input, you have to rely to the volume control of the MP3. Well, we tried 2 different MP3 players as well as the audio output of the Sirius radio and none had enough output to hear well enough. The Scala Rider has an auto volume control that is supposed to increase the volume as noise increases and we only tried the MP3 units in the kitchen, but the audio level was quite a bit less than the output of the built in FM radio, which is controlled by the Scala volume control.

Since we already had the MP3 units installed, we kept them and just don't use the MP3 feature. I offered the new in the box Q2 units without MP3 input on another forum and sold one unit for $125 plus shipping, a considerable savings over what they cost. I'll put an ad on this forum for the other unit if any one is interested. If I had it to do over again, I would ignore the new MP3 unit and just get the standard Bluetooth/FM/Q2 unit.

BTW, the older teamsets do not have the range or battery life of the new Q2 units, so if you want to communicate with another rider, the Q2 is the choice, as it is rated at over 1600 ft range and we found that to be true.

I like this setup so much that I will be using it instead of my Autocom, as I want to be able to talk to my son on his bike as well as send and receive phone calls, plus listen to my Sirius radio.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote