ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Helmets

Helmets Do you have a favorite helmet? Put your reviews of it here.

Old March 27th, 2013   #1
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 129 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about
Default No helmets -increase in fatalities

No. Surely not! How can this be? .....

Michigan sees 18% spike in biker fatalities

...since making helmets non-compulsory for motorcyclists

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...#ixzz2OjbR3fuy

Apparently it's too early to tell if falling off ya sickle whilst not wearing a helmet is more likely to kill you than not.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #2
echo

Default Re: No helmets -increase in fatalities

Unfortunately there are ample statistics to "explain" the increased death rate since helmet optional laws went into effect on a fairly widespread basis in the US. I have even heard arguments that helmets INCREASE fatalities.

I remember years ago on a trip across the US (from NJ) once I hit maybe Illinois I didnt see ANYONE wearing a helmet for quite some time. In St Paul MN I sat on my cousins porch one Saturday while a constant stream of Harleys went past all afternoon. Maybe one percent had helemts on! I was stunned.

I wouldnt ride without a face shield much less a helmet. Half a dozen times a year something hits the shield that would likely cause me to lose control and crash if I wasnt wearing it.

Speaking of people who WEAR helmets....

I often see riders wearing flip face helemts riding along with the chin bar up. (or see pictures of them doing it)

If something happens while you are doing that maybe its better you werent wearing a helmets at all...
Old March 27th, 2013   #3
DanK

I always wear my helmet, can't understand why anyone would not do so given the obvious danger and that, if nothing else, most riders even if they have not yet been hit on their bike have likely had rocks hit their car window and crack it, but still we probably ought to at least wait until we know how many of those who were killed were not wearing helmets before deciding the cause.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #4
Blue One

I am all for the helmetless riders for a number of reasons.

1) They are obviously not all that smart and their removal from the gene pool will strengthen it.

2) We need organ donors, as there is a wordwide shortage.

So carry on with the bare unprotected heads, there is nothing there to protect anyway.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #5
llbaker2

I absolutely support the right to not wear a helmet if thats what you choose. I personally never ride without one but that should be my choice. I despise all big brother laws!
llbaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #6
Blue One

Quote:
Originally Posted by llbaker2 View Post
I absolutely support the right to not wear a helmet if thats what you choose. I personally never ride without one but that should be my choice. I despise all big brother laws!
See post #4 and please ask anyone you know who doesn't wear a helmet to sign their organ donor card.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #7
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue One View Post
See post #4 and please ask anyone you know who doesn't wear a helmet to sign their organ donor card.
+1...+2...+3...+4...+5...! (etcetera)

I support your right not to wear one, too, for the same reasons as Blue.
Old March 28th, 2013   #8
Superdirk
Donators

I think laws are there to protect the people. Same as wearing seatbelts or having a speed limit or banning drugs. I don't see the principal difference with wearing helmets.
People need laws to protect them from doing stupid things / force them to take their responsibilities.

The risk is not only for the rider. Consider the impact on other parties involved in an accident, the amount of guilt or even the punishment on the car driver that causes an unfortunate accident. Or the ambulance personell that need to pick up the mess after the accident. Cost of health insurance, disability budget etc. etc.

Helmets save lives and quality of life for survivors and bystanders. They should be mandatory!
Superdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013   #9
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 129 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

I'm not going to pass any opinion on the 'right to' or 'big brother' debate and I respect everyone's opinions and their right to them.

I know from my own LE experience, the sheer financial cost to society of a fatal road incident - it's enormous.

I came off my bike at midnight on ice/mud on a sharp corner of a very quiet road when I was 20. I slid quite a distance but my clothing protected me. I got up, kicked the handlebars straight and carried on the 5 miles left to get home. When I took my helmet off I saw the very substantial damage to the back of it where my head had hit the road and I think an iron gully. I felt nothing at the time as I tumbled around. No police, no ambulance, no undertakers, no investigation, no insurance payout, no funeral, zero cost to society. New helmet cost to me and some minor cosmetic repairs to the bike. No helmet - that would have 100% have been a fatal incident and THAT would have been a very substantial cost to society.

Economics is one of the main drivers behind legislation enforcing protective measures on society and the vehicles we operate. Certainly, in the UK, if an individuals actions are found to be contributory to his/her level of injury then any insurance payout or compensation awarded is reduced by an amount that reflects the level of increased injury attributable to the failure to use appropriate self care. A failure to wear a seatbelt resulting in a faceful of windscreen and a steering wheel in your chest is another example of this. The result - seat belt law and compulsory airbags on all new cars!
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013   #10
echo

I also have learned that everyone is going to see things their own way.

I went down at about 10 mph on my XT 250 years ago when I tried to brake and swerve at the same time.

I wasnt hurt at all but my Bell 3/4 hemet struck the ground pretty good on the side of my head. Even though it was only 10 mph the impact sounded loud.

I dont think I would be able to report I was uninjured if I wasnt wearing.